Raskolnikov

ISD Aggressor (Star Destroyer MOC w interior and instructions)

On ‎5‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 9:35 AM, Raskolnikov said:

Probably not much, it's a comparatively small section with few plates and tiles. If you search this topic or the rebrickable comments for rockpig, he separated the parts list out by books. You could then load the parts list on rebrickable and see prices. I believe the exterior bridge is book 7. Just be warned that the exterior bridge definitely is one of the most fragile and funky parts of the build--it took some silly connections to get those angles right.

I was looking through the instructions, and yeah, those connections are weird! I don't think I have seen those ball joints in any set except for the MagnaGuard fighter! It will be fun to build!

I've ordered al 15k pieces over the last few days and everything will be deliverd in the upcoming week! My largest build ever was about 8k pieces and I've had no idea how to organize all the pieces on the table. 

Does anyone has a tip on how to keep the building process organized and fluent without spending most of the time searching for the parts, building the step, and start searching again for the next step?

@Freezer118 On the rebrickable page there's a link to an excel-file with parts per booklet.  I used it to sort the pieces for each booklet.

Edited by Therion

Wow. Just looked at how much it would cost to buy the engine parts. 

Potter More Bricks: $140

The Brick Zone: $1,440

Guess who I will be buying from.

Just bought the instructions for this.  No idea when I will be putting this beast together, but I'm excited nonetheless.

On 5/13/2018 at 3:37 PM, Freezer118 said:

I've ordered al 15k pieces over the last few days and everything will be deliverd in the upcoming week! My largest build ever was about 8k pieces and I've had no idea how to organize all the pieces on the table. 

Does anyone has a tip on how to keep the building process organized and fluent without spending most of the time searching for the parts, building the step, and start searching again for the next step?

I had everything on the floor and used the baggies they came in as well as some additional ones to keep the parts separate.  I then sorted them into major sections with categories such as tiles, plates, wedges, bricks, greebles etc, with the categories containing the largest number of pieces (i.e. tiles) closest to me.  Within each section I divided them by colors. 

Make no mistake; there is no magic way to make the logistics of this easy.  It is a staggering number of pieces taking up a crazy amount of space when laid out.

Well, 28 bricklink orders later and I'm ready for building.. I thought. When you're ordering 15k+ bricks a mistake is easily made. I completely forgotten 2 lots (which are used in book 1 offcourse) and I had to re-order them so they will be delivered after the weekend. Postponing to start a build is never fun :(

About the organizing part, I checked every order manually and directly separated every piece which goes into booklet 1 (thanks to the magnificent excel file from Rockpig!). I stored every order separately and when book 1 is finished I will do some sort of book 2 "order picking" at every bricklink order untill I reach book 8.

kwubmj2joobh.17.37.jpg

This is probably 60% of the parts on the photo.

Which raise the question from my side: Is there anyone who already disassembled his ISD? And did you make a big pile of lego of sorted the lego while disassembling? I can't imagine rebuilding this beast from a big, unsorted pile of lego..

Help!

How do I make the connection on step 7, page 31, book 7? Force it? (Couldn't upload my pic, sorry.)

4 hours ago, caperica said:

Help!

How do I make the connection on step 7, page 31, book 7? Force it? (Couldn't upload my pic, sorry.)

Hrm, you might need to post a pic on this one. Book 7 is pretty janky, but I just see a normal placement of a bracket in that step.

On 5/19/2018 at 1:05 AM, Raskolnikov said:

Hrm, you might need to post a pic on this one. Book 7 is pretty janky, but I just see a normal placement of a bracket in that step.

Yes, except for the top of the bracket interferes with the arm clips that are attached to the rail above the bracket.

I decided to just force it, and I finished the bridge! It's a work of art!

@Raskolnikov

I have a question about the build. Is the upper part of the added section at Book 2, page 148 meant to be slightly tilted? I re-checked the steps but couldn't see anything wrong. On your pictures in the first post it look like it's not tilted.

On 5/20/2018 at 7:53 PM, caperica said:

Yes, except for the top of the bracket interferes with the arm clips that are attached to the rail above the bracket.

I decided to just force it, and I finished the bridge! It's a work of art!

Ah, I see what you're saying. Never noticed that before, honestly. Haven't had a chance to test it, but there are two versions of the arm clip piece, so I'm wondering if it helps to use one version over the other. Regardless, glad it worked out!

19 hours ago, Freezer118 said:

@Raskolnikov

I have a question about the build. Is the upper part of the added section at Book 2, page 148 meant to be slightly tilted? I re-checked the steps but couldn't see anything wrong. On your pictures in the first post it look like it's not tilted.

Yep, it's intended for the bridge to be tilted slightly downwards, relative to the bands of greebling along the sides of the frame. That's accurate to the original ILM models. I believe the sets only have the bridge perpendicular to the frame for the sake of simplicity.

In a lot of shots/pics of Star Destroyers, you may notice that the nose of the ship is tilted upwards a little bit. And when you do that, the bridge would be facing directly forward. But it would add a lot of complications to the stands if the model's frame were not parallel to the floor.

It's the same in all the pics I took earlier, so you might just need to wait for the superstructure n stuff before it looks right.

Edited by Raskolnikov

Just wanted to doublecheck. Sorry if it's been asked before.

I've recently learned about "illegal" building techniques - does this build use any? Should I worry that it will start to fall apart after a while? :)

6 hours ago, danielwerner said:
Just wanted to doublecheck. Sorry if it's been asked before.

I've recently learned about "illegal" building techniques - does this build use any? Should I worry that it will start to fall apart after a while? :)

The only "dodgy" connection is how the bridge goes together - putting the thing together caused it to collapse on me many many times - but other than that this thing is crazy solid!

Hey, I'm building the frame, and wondering about the DBG Technic brick 6x8 (Open center). Can I use a LBG one, because apparently no store in Bricklink has a DBG one.

Edited by caperica

11 minutes ago, caperica said:

Hey, I'm building the frame, and wondering about the DBG Technic brick 6x8 (Open center). Can I use a LBG one, because apparently no store in Bricklink has a DBG one.

I actually managed to find one on eBay of all places! But i wanted my ISD to be 100% per spec and 100% new lego - that being said... it's completely buried in the internal frame (nose end) and you'll never ever see it lol 

15 minutes ago, Kryptonic said:

I actually managed to find one on eBay of all places! But i wanted my ISD to be 100% per spec and 100% new lego - that being said... it's completely buried in the internal frame (nose end) and you'll never ever see it lol 

OK thanks, I think I will just use a LBG one. No worth paying 4 dollars for an Ebay one lol

我做了两个版本的显示贴纸,你觉得哪一个更好?

20180602102521.jpg.d1a8570656f4b76f689e58bc18d2e094.jpg20180602102509.jpg.2cabbc7881858c5bbc5449fe2a8faae7.jpg

Edited by mr_pidan

Honestly, I prefer the first one, but overall I prefer SDs in profile anyway, so no real artistic analysis here...

Finally have all the pieces and build is underway.......hardest part so far is gathering the pieces for each stage. Build going great tho. Decided to build a temporary table as was not convinced I could lift it into my attic room when complete.

eiGDvny.jpg

sEC9N52.jpg

3ckfGDz.jpg

sU3Wijz.jpg

fVzdS42.jpg

I started my build last week, after sitting on the parts since last September.

I took the extra time to break the parts up by book, and has made it more manageable so far.  Rockpig posted this to the rebrickable comments page, and I believe this thread, with the spreadsheet being very helpful if you have extra parts to reference where they might go.

I wish that there was a way to break up the BrickVault Ghost build this way...

Thanks to Raskolnikov for an awesome build,