Raskolnikov

ISD Aggressor (Star Destroyer MOC w interior and instructions)

The nebulon never felt that small to me watching the movies.  In my mind, I always thought of it as a huge ship half as big or more as an ISD.   Just build it the way you want to :)

On another note, the internal frame for the Aggressor is a work of art.  I have no idea how you designed this thing. I feel like I'm building it straight out of the Cross Sections book. 

Edited by Schneeds

On 9/25/2017 at 6:44 AM, Therion said:

Just started ordering my missing pieces for the Agressor :classic:

I was wondering if there's a partslist per booklet available somewhere?  That might be easier during the building proces :grin:

One builder did that on his own and posted it in spreadsheet format. It's in the comments section on the rebrickable page. I haven't checked through it myself, though.

23 hours ago, Schneeds said:

On another note, the internal frame for the Aggressor is a work of art.  I have no idea how you designed this thing. I feel like I'm building it straight out of the Cross Sections book.

Thanks! Try to keep that positive attitude going when you're like 9k bricks in and the next book is telling you to build yet another section of panels :P

On 9/26/2017 at 11:22 AM, Raskolnikov said:

One builder did that on his own and posted it in spreadsheet format. It's in the comments section on the rebrickable page. I haven't checked through it myself, though.

Thanks.  It should help a lot with the build.  I was able to modify the spreadsheet to export CSV files for pulling back into Rebrickable to create custom lists on a book by book basis.  I can put the csv files somewhere if anyone else would like them.  

Example:  Book 1:  https://www.rebrickable.com/users/BrianGT22/lists/15340/

I am about 92% through pulling parts for the whole set, and am starting to split up the total parts by book.  Should make it easier to build each book with ~3k parts or less in a pile instead of 15k.

Thanks to rockpig and especially Raskolnikov for their efforts!  

16 hours ago, BrianGT said:

Thanks.  It should help a lot with the build.  I was able to modify the spreadsheet to export CSV files for pulling back into Rebrickable to create custom lists on a book by book basis.  I can put the csv files somewhere if anyone else would like them.  

Example:  Book 1:  https://www.rebrickable.com/users/BrianGT22/lists/15340/

I am about 92% through pulling parts for the whole set, and am starting to split up the total parts by book.  Should make it easier to build each book with ~3k parts or less in a pile instead of 15k.

Thanks to rockpig and especially Raskolnikov for their efforts!  

Would be great if you could upload the CSV files, in the process of cataloguing my spare Lego pieces on Rebrickable and watching the percentage completion on the Aggressor decreasing (85.5% complete so far) but might be slightly less daunting on a book by book basis, not least because it means I can ignore those missing 330 2 x 4 LBG Tiles for a little while longer! 

I would also like to be able to download the CSV files.  Building book by book would be the only way I'd consider doing this.

Thanks for doing this!

1 hour ago, sandtrooper said:

I would also like to be able to download the CSV files.  Building book by book would be the only way I'd consider doing this.

Thanks for doing this!

I was unable to create a brickshelf account, so I threw them on box.com:

https://app.box.com/s/kod3tiolw2c3s35x9dtqfn2ats76m7wp

Let me know if you have issues and I can find an alternative method for the files.

Thanks, I've downloaded the csv's and uploaded the first book to a custom list on Rebrickable, seems to have worked OK once I realised that the csv's were in Bricklink format rather than Rebrickable, my initial upload would have made an interesting coloured Star Destroyer!

Hey Rasko just wondering, but if I wanted to remove the bottom panels how would I go about doing so because it seems rather challenging to take out those pins once you've pushed them into place. Any tips? Thanks in advance!!

4 hours ago, Sky8880 said:

Hey Rasko just wondering, but if I wanted to remove the bottom panels how would I go about doing so because it seems rather challenging to take out those pins once you've pushed them into place. Any tips? Thanks in advance!!

It's pretty easy to remove the bottom panels, since you can remove the pins with a small screwdriver when the ship is lying flat on the ground. It's putting the panels on that's a lot trickier.

6 hours ago, Raskolnikov said:

It's pretty easy to remove the bottom panels, since you can remove the pins with a small screwdriver when the ship is lying flat on the ground. It's putting the panels on that's a lot trickier.

Alright i'll see how it goes and i'll ask you again if I need help with pulling them off.

It'll soon be my turn to start building this monster. I've ordered thousands and thousands of parts and am now patiently waiting. I won't get to start until sometimes early November.

Kudos to everybody involved in the design and for making the manual, it is quite an amazing feat in itself.

Edited by teknix1

In the same boat as other people here. Have ordered a bunch of pieces and looking sometime around the new year at actually getting it built. My favorite star wars character is Thrawn, and the original book series by Timothy Zahn from which he came from. In that regard I'm going to modify the interior slightly to reflect Thrawn's flagship in the book series the Chimera. The only big modification I'm going to make is that the conference room is going to modified into Thrawns personal room with art on display and a command chair. I'll post pictures when I get some pieces in and start looking at getting that section built here in a month or so. If anybody has any suggestions let me know :D

I've considered doing the Thrawn room as well.  I just finished book 3 and the bottom panels, and have started work on the top panels.  I also modified the interior of the lower level on one side to make Vader's meditation room, and the emperor/communication room. 

I ways actually able to attach the bottom panels with the frame level on its two stands instead of utilizing the tail.  Was a bit tricky, but felt much safer.  Even with no panels/superstructure, the model is very heavy (for legos).

I am at 96.4% completion for the parts, missing 549 parts still:

https://rebrickable.com/users/BrianGT22/lists/14613/

Quite a beast.  I broke out the parts for the first two books, which took a lot more effort than I expected.   Will see how it goes and probably break out the rest into books into pieces after I get started with the build.

Challenge now is to find the time to start the build..

Thanks again for sharing!

Let's see what we got here...

On 10/20/2017 at 10:04 PM, Iperial_Fleet_Commander said:

So this Isn't to scale with the Tyrant, right? If so, maybe you could convert the Lego SD into a victory class to accompany it.

Right, they're not to scale, but I did recently convert my Aggressor into a Victory-class. I'll take some decent pictures at some point, probably. It's still not quite to scale as a VSD, either, but it's fairly close (I believe the "VSD Aggressor" is about 4.5 inches too long, since the Tyrant is about 57 inches now).

On 10/21/2017 at 11:51 AM, Kadeus said:

The only big modification I'm going to make is that the conference room is going to modified into Thrawns personal room with art on display and a command chair. I'll post pictures when I get some pieces in and start looking at getting that section built here in a month or so. If anybody has any suggestions let me know :D

Since that room is removable, building it early or modifying it should be no trouble.

I've thought about turning mine into something else as well, since the Tyrant already has a conference room--might go with something more mundane, like officers' quarters, though. Also, the "Aggressor" is just what I named my ship, but it's intended to be a generic Star Destroyer. Yours could certainly be the Chimaera.

On 10/22/2017 at 2:22 PM, Schneeds said:

I've considered doing the Thrawn room as well.  I just finished book 3 and the bottom panels, and have started work on the top panels.  I also modified the interior of the lower level on one side to make Vader's meditation room, and the emperor/communication room. 

I ways actually able to attach the bottom panels with the frame level on its two stands instead of utilizing the tail.  Was a bit tricky, but felt much safer.  Even with no panels/superstructure, the model is very heavy (for legos).

I'd be interested in seeing those mods sometime. Glad to hear that you've made it past the bottom panels "hump," that should be close to halfway through. I thought some parts of the bottom panels might break off if you tried to do it horizontally, but if it works, great. I may just be too used to the Tryant, which definitely needs to be vertical for bottom panel placement even though it's much more precarious when balanced on its "tail."

And @BrianGT Thanks and good luck!

Edited by Raskolnikov

I did it by first hooking it up to that sliding  technic axel at the front of the ship, and the very end technic pin at the rear, while supporting the middle of the hull with my hand to take the stress off.  Those two are the easiest connections to snap and are more forgiving.

Fantastic moc, unfortunately as a college student it's waaaaaay outside my price range. Maybe in a couple years, but this is definitely something I want to build at some point. In regards to the Chimaera, maybe you could make the actual design with some DBG tiles and plates on the hull? Might be a little too much detail to make easily.

6 hours ago, Spencer Solo said:

Fantastic moc, unfortunately as a college student it's waaaaaay outside my price range. Maybe in a couple years, but this is definitely something I want to build at some point. In regards to the Chimaera, maybe you could make the actual design with some DBG tiles and plates on the hull? Might be a little too much detail to make easily.

Would you have any pictures of the actual chimera star destroyer class design? I can't seem to find anything obvious but it sounds awesome! Thanks for the suggestion

I've discovered my first major hurtle.  In trying to get the plating of the engine section to hook up with the ball joints, it doesn't line up correctly.  The bottom hull plating isn't low enough that I can fit it in; I would need to push the bottom hull down a fair amount and it would likely come apart.  I've got the bottom hull resting on the cheese slopes like instructed, but seems like it might be the issue.  Thoughts?

DSC_5500.jpg

DSC_5502.jpg

As you can see from the position of the 3x2 wedge plate and the ball joint fastener it's resting too high. 

It's possible that there's something amiss, and I'll double check when I get home...but I'm pretty sure the solution (as much as I dislike it) is just to force it. I remember putting a note in the instructions that the fit for those panels is "very tight"--and by that I meant that some degree of force is required to make it happen, although hopefully it was the best choice among several not-ideal alternatives. 

Anyway, when I connect those panels, I attach both ball joints first before moving the panel into its final position, i.e., don't start with the rear panel in contact with the bottom panels, instead start with both ball joints connected and the rear panel able to move freely up and down. Then, move the rear panel downward until you make contact with the brackets along the edge of the bottom panel. It will rest on top of them and not appear to fit. Regardless, you should be able to gently depress the rear panel until it audibly snaps into place behind the brackets, like it in your image. You want to avoid any damage to the bottom panels, but it's fine if 2x3 wedge plates fall off the rear panel (and some probably will). Once the rear panel is in position, any 2x3 wedge plates can be replaced.