Sign in to follow this  
ClassicLook

[MOD] 7181 UCS TIE Interceptor

Hi everyone,

I'm a big fan of the SW UCS theme, especially of the TIE Fighters. My first UCS set was the 2000 TIE Interceptor. I was very proud to have it.

However, as I get the Vader's TIE and the new TIE Fighter, the TIE Interceptor didn't match to them at all with its blue and dark gray colours...

I decided to replace all blue, dark and light gray parts to light and dark bluish gray. I haven't found a modification like this on this forum, so I'd like to share with you what I came up with.

My purpose was to create a nice display modell, which fits to my taste and is faithful to the original set as well.

On the other hand, I wanted to customize it to be more appropriate to the film version. I used the elements of the Vader's TIE to build the cockpit (octagonal pieces and the hatch). In addition, I carried out some minor changes on the wings as well (1x8 dark bluish gray plate on the sides, replacement of the hinge bricks to plates, light bluish gray "stripes" on the inner sides). The interior got also an unique colour.

It can't be perfectly appropriate to the film version, mostly because of the the inadequate angles of the wings, but I'm satisfied with the final result.

IMG_5736 másolatIMG_5737 másolatIMG_5738 másolatIMG_5744IMG_5745IMG_5748IMG_5757 másolatIMG_5750 másolat

Hope, you like it.

Thanks for stopped by!

Edited by ClassicLook

This is my friend fine Tie Interceptor :)

Good work!

Any idea about parts count?

Edited by mcgrah

23 hours ago, mcgrah said:

Any idea about parts count?

The original one has about 700 parts, mine counts basically the same amount.

Edited by ClassicLook

It looks much better in my collection now!

(There might be place for an X-wing too...:classic:)

IMG_5720 másolat

Edited by ClassicLook

On 2017. 07. 26. at 11:17 AM, sander1992 said:

Nice version of the UCS set. :thumbup:

I still don't get why TLG made them blue. :look:

I think they tried to build in some colours, because they found the film version too "grayish"...

Then they realized, that there's more attention to the original colours.

However, these octagonal windscreen pieces look more spherical to me. The new TIE Fighter has some very clever building techniques, the lot of designing hours can be seen, I appreciate it. Still, overall I find the cockpit too angular. That's why I decided to build a TIE Interceptor based on the 7181 set.

Edited by ClassicLook

On 27-7-2017 at 1:05 PM, ClassicLook said:

It looks much better in my collection now!

(There might be place for an X-wing too...:classic:)

<snip>

No it's time to build TIE Defender :) I'll got with TIE Advanced :P

WzwQoAR.jpg

Edited by BEAVeR
Please don't quote images

7 hours ago, mcgrah said:

No it's time to build TIE Defender :) I'll got with TIE Advanced :P

Nice collection! Is it a modyfied TIE Fighter? Its wings looks smaller than the official one.

Edited by ClassicLook

44 minutes ago, ClassicLook said:

Nice collection! Is it a modyfied TIE Fighter? Its wings looks smaller than the official one.

Nope, must be the photo angle. 

GRRRR....I was *just* going to try to swap out the blue for light bley on my old 7181.  But then I saw this and realized the dark grey probably would make it still look "wrong" without redoing it exactly like you have here.  This looks so damn good, it is making me angry, because now I'm going to have to brick link the whole thing in light bley...LoL.  Very nice!  This actually *finally* delivers on the grey photo that was on the original box cover and instruction manual!  Better even!

Edited by jeffmcclain

12 hours ago, jeffmcclain said:

GRRRR....I was *just* going to try to swap out the blue for light bley on my old 7181.  But then I saw this and realized the dark grey probably would make it still look "wrong" without redoing it exactly like you have here.  This looks so damn good, it is making me angry, because now I'm going to have to brick link the whole thing in light bley...LoL.  Very nice!  This actually *finally* delivers on the grey photo that was on the original box cover and instruction manual!  Better even!

Thanks for your kind words. I was doing some research before bricklinking the parts, and the light bluish grey seemed to be the best choice for color. The sand blue would be also nice, but they are more difficult to get and there are no accessories (for ex. the hatch piece) in that color either. I've also built it in LDD to see, how the modifications work, so I came up with this version. The only thing that frustrates me is the consol pieces in the cockpit, which are "regular" light and dark grey, but you can't notice them from outside.

Share if you have any other modifications or better solutions! Maybe we could change building techniques.

Good luck for your project!

Edited by ClassicLook