Sign in to follow this  
jorgeopesi

Tips for a small chassis

A small chassis and a few questions, universal or cv joint?, shock absorbers or leaf springs?, I wanted to avoid the panhard rod if is possible. Drive axles are robust and very difficult to dismantle withot remove axles, in the end it will be a kind of small truck.

EyRYXVj.jpg?1

rUJc3c1.jpg?1

N4M1Fbs.jpg?1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLvIK8Xj-tQ&t=0m0s

Edited by jorgeopesi

I would use the CV joints for steering, as it will allow better travel for the suspension because it can slide over the axle. I am stupid. The red 8-tooth gear does the same thing. But I would still use the U-joint for the drivetrain, as it will be fixed in place. Here is one example and my motorized MOD.

I am partial to shock absorbers, mostly because I don't have the flex axles needed for leaf springs. :grin: It also depends on how much space you have. Shocks require a lot more vertical room to be used, while leaf springs require more horizontal room. However, if you use linkages, you can mount shock absorbers horizontally, which might be a good solution, as you can then adjust the hardness of the suspension system, while keeping it relatively compact. Hope this helps!

Edited by Leonardo da Bricki
general stupidity

Of course it helps, I had same shock absorbers configuration than yours but it wasn´t work good in different position, I will try again putting the shock absorbers like you. My problem is always the room, the axles are very narrow.

Edited by jorgeopesi

1. U-joints for chassis, U and CV for suspension arms. 

2. Leaf springs for smaller models, shocks for medium sized models. For your setup though, shocks would be the best. 

This is going to be an amazing model!

I really recommend flex axles, 7l are perfect in my opinion. You can adjust the stiffness of them depending on their connection to the chassis too.

I'd say go with leaf springs

Jorge,

To avoid Panhard rod I've used newer steering arms 5l instead 6L on your images...like here

Edited by I_Igor

You may want to consider a torsion axle suspension. They work very well, they rarely damage pieces if implemented correctly, and they are very compact. 

I tried diferent types and the better was shock absorbers, it has a sweet and soft travel but nothing is decided yet, I am thinking to move them horizontaly with rods I think I saw a kamaz MOC with that configuration. In the end I really don't need to move them because it is a dakar truck and you won't see them but it is for have fun. Clutch gears are for my break motors son, I will studied the torsion axle and the 5L arms.

More progress I am happy with the small size but I have some problems with the CV joints, the steering ones fall off sometimes and the another ones fall off too but I know why, I have too much suspension travel in the axles but it is easy to fix it. I have to improve the chassis I want less pieces. I have had a great idea using a 5,5 axle with a spring in the cv joints would be constantly tightened I would lose some travel suspension but it would help me with the other problem.

1ur6KI1.jpg?1

Lel1ijm.jpg?1

3wJOdhR.jpg?1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cZiSQ7l9rQ&feature=youtu.be

Edited by jorgeopesi

That caster angle gets way too large (or is it small?), it'll be very unstable when driving, as in not willing to go straight forwards.

Should probably lower the suspension a lot or redesign the front axle to not be dissapointed when it's all finished.

1 hour ago, Pego said:

That caster angle gets way too large (or is it small?), it'll be very unstable when driving, as in not willing to go straight forwards.

Should probably lower the suspension a lot or redesign the front axle to not be dissapointed when it's all finished.

You are right in everything I have a lot of work to do yet which far from displeasing me I love. Can I see more pics of your avatar?, this truck looks very small.

12 hours ago, jorgeopesi said:

... Can I see more pics of your avatar?, this truck looks very small.

Here's the topic :)

On 27/7/2017 at 9:41 AM, Pego said:

Here's the topic :)

Thanks it is a great and small MOC, impossible for me because I always want less fragile MOCs but anyway awesome drive axle.

I think it will be the last chassis, suspension works perfect, it is strong and enough fast to be playable but it has a bad point, low ground clearance, I could fix it I would raise the center of gravity and lose the simplicity of the MOC.

vv0U3GI.jpg?1

uSH5FrF.jpg?1

voSQL3Z.jpg?1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UapcYS3z_m4&feature=youtu.be