Asper

Karlsruhe Tram (GT8-70D/N)

Hello,

More than two years ago I built one of the trams of Karlsruhe with LEGO. It's the 8-axis "GT8-70D/N" (https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/GT8-70D/N ). Now I found time to take pictures.

35253101954_dbebea2217_b.jpg

It's a "one-direction" tram, so only the right side has doors(just black window frames, nothing to open here):

35253101434_ee2f042d7c_b.jpg

It's modular and can be converted into a 6-axis "GT6-70D/N":

35283501403_c898cbf46c_b_d.jpg

It's built 7 wide and first and last bogie use the small train wheels. The battery box is located above the first bogie, so the tram won't derail easily. The first small module has a PF train motor:

35253102944_096af96266_z_d.jpg

But even with these small wheels it operates well on curves and switches:

Hope you like it!

Steffen

Edited by Asper
fix image links

Ooh! I love this tram! Awesome, clean design. And the design for the motor is great! It certainly handles the curves well. Thumbs up.

Very nice.  Looks cool snaking around curves and switches. The 6 axles version reminds me of a Stadler GTW or airport monorail.  :classic:

Thank you for this feedback!

7 hours ago, LEGO Train 12 Volts said:

Amazing train layout by the way!

It was a temporary layout in the living room. My wife visited a friend for the weekend and the kids and I removed almost all the furniture and carpet...

3 hours ago, brickostan said:

How long is the full model?

approx. 90cm (35 + 8 + 16 + 8 + 35 studs, with 4 gaps each approx. 2 1/2 studs => 112 studs = 896mm)

Very nice tram-train model!

I read lot of articles about the "karlsruher model", I always loved it for the mobility it offers, very nice to see a render in LEGO. The tram's body and the solution for bogies is perfect, the only thing could be improved is the coupling and the gap between cars. Since there is only one pivot point around each gap, maybe this method could also work for you to hide the gap:

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/AshiValkoinen/Trams/CAFUrbos3/caf_08.png

16 hours ago, Ashi Valkoinen said:

Very nice tram-train model!

I read lot of articles about the "karlsruher model", I always loved it for the mobility it offers, very nice to see a render in LEGO. The tram's body and the solution for bogies is perfect, the only thing could be improved is the coupling and the gap between cars. Since there is only one pivot point around each gap, maybe this method could also work for you to hide the gap:

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/AshiValkoinen/Trams/CAFUrbos3/caf_08.png

Thank  you. First focus was getting the scale right and have a tram  that can drive on any LEGO layout. But I'm planning to built a 6-axis version. I think I will work on the gap and your solutions looks promising.