Giacinto Consiglio

[MOC]Modular Triumphal Arch

This is my second MOC, the modular Triumphal Arch. It's quite a simple design, and the piece isn't too high either, just 1237 bricks. Don't hesitate to tell me what you think about it!

20170715_190401.jpg

20170715_190512.jpg

20170722_140940.jpg

20170722_140952.jpg

20170722_141006.jpg

20170722_141042.jpg

Check HERE for more info

This is fantastic. A great, out-of-the-box idea for a Modular building. This opens up a world of ideas for how to incorporate road plates into Modular designs.

Awesome concept and execution! The color scheme and textures look great. One minor friendly suggestion: the black statues and whip elements don't really work for me due to the harsh contrast. 

Looks really good. Clean and neat, just like it should be. I really like the plates on the inside of the arc. Makes it very tidy. Also clever use of the whip parts for ornamentation.:classic: I would perhaps replace the black statues with grey ones though. Of course, that would clash with the whips then. I have seen them already in white though...

Excellent work and a great way to fit it in with other modulars and the street scheme.  I really like that fountain too.  

Thank you for your kind words. I'm going to show you the fountain as soon as possible:wink:. As regards black colour, I was inspired by an arch building in St Petersburg, and the closest colour to its decorations was black indeed. However, what would you reckon if I replaced black with reddish brown? It would look like copper, wouldn't it?

Edited by Giacinto Consiglio

Great arch and great idea indeed!

And I also agree that the black parts have a too high contrast; with regard to the arch in St Petersburg, I think dark tan would be the best match. Part availability may be a bit limited, though...

1 hour ago, Giacinto Consiglio said:

Thank you for your kind words. I'm going to show you the fountain as soon as possible:wink:. As regards black colour, I was inspired by an arch building in St Petersburg, and the closest colour to its decorations was black indeed. However, what would you reckon if I replaced black with reddish brown? It would look like copper, wouldn't it?

Copper turns green rather quickly, so that would be an option. Reddish brown works with bronze, which is a quite popular material for casting artwork as well. 

I really like the details of the top part and the color scheme.

What I don't like are the small arches for the pedestrians. The 1 stud wide supports on both sides are just too narrow to support the upper structure. It looks a bit odd in my eyes. Did you consider making them 2 studs wide?

On 22.7.2017 at 3:53 PM, Giacinto Consiglio said:

20170722_140952.jpg

Just now, Tokru said:

I really like the details of the top part and the color scheme.

What I don't like are the small arches for the pedestrians. The 1 stud wide supports on both sides are just too narrow to support the upper structure. It looks a bit odd in my eyes. Did you consider making them 2 studs wide?

You're right, but minifigs wouldn't be able to walk under the arch if I widened the pillars...