Sign in to follow this  
Sariel

[VIDEO REVIEW] 42068: Airport Rescue Vehicle

The smallest of the 2H2017 Technic set is, in most aspects, a pleasant surprise. I was expecting something dead simple, but got something ambitious and complex instead, with a brilliant steering system and 2 boom functions that can be easily motorized. Additionally, I like how normal and realistic it looks compared to 42070 and 42069. It's a pretty, functional, well-designed set and it's delightful to steer.

On the underside, 42068 contains literally zero new pieces or pieces in new colors, leaving you little reason to buy it - chances are, you can build it with the pieces you already own. And some parts feel like a few corners have been cut.

Thanks for the review Sariel!

Im a bit torn on this set, it looks nice, represents its subject matter about as good as you can expect, and has all the functions i could think of for something like this.

On the other hand, im not a firetruck guy, and the features/parts are still a bit tame and nothing terribly innovative or exciting.

Nice review.

One question: Doesn't the 24T gear in the boom hit against that yellow crossblock above it? Normally they use the old steering crossblock part in this setup to prevent that it hits the crossblock... Is the gear changed in diameter?

No, it's a perfectly regular 24t gear. You're forgetting that the yellow connector is less than 1 full stud thick around the axle hole. I've used it with 24t gear myself many times, it's a fairly standard combination of pieces.

1 minute ago, Sariel said:

No, it's a perfectly regular 24t gear. You're forgetting that the yellow connector is less than 1 full stud thick around the axle hole. I've used it with 24t gear myself many times, it's a fairly standard combination of pieces.

Hmm... interesting. I thought I usually have some issue with the next pinhole hitting the edge of the teeth of the gear :sceptic:, but I'll give it a try

Nice review. You managed to make me feel how good the steering works through the video :laugh:

@Sariel, you gave the set the lowest 'pieces donor' value. But from what i've seen in the timelapse, this seems to be quite a nice parts pack with frames, beams, gears, panels and wheels. Would you recommend this set for someone who is starting his technic collection?

Yes, I think it's a good starter set - plenty of wheels and even transmission pieces. I was just disappointed that there are no new pieces nor pieces in new colors whatsoever.

Hi Sariel,

those red soft axles in the Front, which length do they have?

Thank you

Lexa

Edited by Lexa

Just now, Lexa said:

those red soft axles in the Front, which length do they have?

I believe they are 12l red soft axles.

S***

was hoping for 11....

close is not enough

Edited by Lexa

Nice review as always Sariel! 

I'm not impressed by this set. I think the functions are too simple. It's similar to 42064 in my opinion, more like a City set. 

I agree with @Jeroen Ottens, that setup with a 24t gear usually doesn't work. The teeth usually touch the edge of the lower pin hole on the connector. The 24t gear was slightly redesigned about a year ago, I might not have tested it since then... The new one probably has a slightly smaller diameter.

Edited by HallBricks

That may be true, HallBricks (about the 24t gear redesign). I know I sometimes use the white gear in places where the 24t just rubs a beam or other part, because the whtie gear's teeth are just a liiiittle bit shorter. Also, I had the feeling the 24t's in my 42066 were redesigned (the edges of the teeth felt sharper) but it didn't come to my mind that this could have been a reason.

Edit: I just checked a few 24t's and they still slightly rub the connector, just as Jeroen Ottens and HallBricks describe. I'd say if it happens here, it should also happen in the set. It fits and it can rotate, but it does touch. Maybe the other 3L cross block is deprecated?

Edited by Erik Leppen

This is a surprisingly nice set, with nice functions. It wouldn't be hard to mod it to a nicer boom with mLAs, which would be potentially stronger. It's also a source of lots of red parts. Also regarding modding, it looks as if there is a fair amount of space behind the central access panel, which could also be put to a better use. Perhaps a water storage bottle, with water pumped out (via a pneumatic valve to switch between nozzles) by pushing air in from a pneumatic pump... If only I was actually able to buy LEGO sets.

One thing I noticed that is odd is the placement of the 40th anniversary 3L liftarm underneath the model, where it will only be seen if it's on it's side! What caused the decision to hide away the usually prominent piece on the last (reviewed) 2017 set?

Thank you Sariel, for great (as always) review.

I like it. I have so little red technic pieces it is actually (for me) cool part donor.

- I do not like yellow and orange and blue beams in the steering mechanism (pointless) and silly for potential Cmodels.

- it would be better if the gearbox did not select what it does, but by adding 1 more shifting mechanism and 1 "reverse" shaft it would change the direction (like 42055 of 42042 gearboxes), then it would work much better when motorized.

I am not sure about "decorating" the technic sets with accessories from system/city world. And it looks like a trend (42064, this, 42069). Generator does not do anything, just like bag in porsche.

Edited by J_C

IMO....the best of the new sets, love the design and the fact its a fire/rescue vehicle. Very few of those in the Technic line...i wonder why it was cancelled last year?

Yes you could build it from parts, that is if you have a supply of those Red panels, which i dont...ergo i will deffo buy this set!

40 minutes ago, TechnicRCRacer said:

The only problem of this set IMO is that I absolutely hate the front. I just don't like the look of these vehicles in general. 

I actually think the front looks nice. I do not like how flimsy it is. 

All in all, this is a nice set, if anything. On those who potentially buy sets for parts would be truly disappointed. 

Thanks for the review, Sariel! I won't buy this set, even my small collection has all the parts (in different colors).

I built the steering mechanism by pausing the speed-build every second. :grin: It works dang near perfectly! A small crane might be in order now...

Good video review. I like the steering set up. They could have just used gears and axles but came up with something a bit more complex. I'm not a fan of this type of fire truck and I have a lot of red parts so wont be getting this set. ( did I mention i'm after 42069?) if it came out a couple of years ago i would have got it.

H

Thanks again for the review and effort to release all the reviews in such time

Indeed the steering mechanism is pretty ingenious and different from the "obvious" way (Gear racks) Definetly  a linkage for steering has many advantages: Smooth, less backlash and easy to build without extra alignement as you must do with gear racks (In few words, It is non expert proof)... and of course, on the building experience view, we can make use of this for MOCs. Such models are the ones I really appreciate: When they give you some cool ideas

About the set, beside steering mechansim, sadly is not interesting in terms of functions, playability and parts; there are better alternatives in the same price range as the 42053. Also the boom looks crude , maybe due scale.. I dont know but kinda reminds me to the crane of 42038. The model looks realistic, indeed, but - To me - feels like that a fire truck do not work as a Technic model (Like they are incomplete) - Look at the 8289 Fire Truck - and there is two reason: Functions are only for controlling the boom and It is missing water functions, .... (Power Functions.... Water Functions Hmmm, Hope TLG is taken note  :laugh:)