Greetings.

I put together this little truck because I wanted to use the wheels from 8858. They are currently my favorite wheels Lego have produced! 

2.jpg

My main goal was to create some nice bouncy suspension using only the 6L links and soft shocks to connect to the main structure. It took a while to realize that if I crossed the 6L links diagonally, this would stop sideways movement of the axles! :look:

It also needed steering, which is controlled via the black gear on top. The doors open, but other than that, it doesn't do much! :laugh:

The body work needs a bit of refining. Especially the front. I think it would look better with a white bonnet (hood?), but I don't have the 5 x 3 curved bits in white. I've moved on to another project now, so probably will need the pieces.....

3.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

4.jpg

Thanks for looking. As always, constructive criticism welcome.

That's really nice. I have eight of those wheels but they have not been used much so i might just build a six wheel version of your "mini" big foot.

Thanks for the inspiration.

H

Edited by Horace T

Thanks guys. I made an LDD of the suspension set up. I didn't put the body on as I'm sure others could do better! There are some bits I couldn't place, but it should be fairly straight forward to figure out.

Have fun.

LINK

Edited by Oliver 79

Six degrees of freedom and six bars (4 Links and 2 shocks) to fix them - this is really clever. Do you have some engineering background?

A perfect solution for a small vehicle with a long travel suspension :thumbup:

Greetings

Leonard Goldstein

Just now, Leonard Goldstein said:

Six degrees of freedom and six bars (4 Links and 2 shocks) to fix them - this is really clever. Do you have some engineering background?

A perfect solution for a small vehicle with a long travel suspension :thumbup:

Greetings

Leonard Goldstein

Thank you. Funnily enough, I'm doing an engineering degree in my spare time (what little I have!)

Good looking little thing.

Monster trucks are often 4 wheel steered. Have you tried this setup with both axles steered?

You would probably need to extend the chassis by one stud to do that.

1 hour ago, skppo said:

Good looking little thing.

Monster trucks are often 4 wheel steered. Have you tried this setup with both axles steered?

You would probably need to extend the chassis by one stud to do that.

Hi. Thanks. I haven't tried this set up with 4 wheel steering. I might modify it for another time. I did do a 4 wheel steering on this one though. :wink:

Awesome truck with awesome suspension. I like it alot) But it's not so innovative for me, i already developed almost the same double trapezoid some time ago. But it's really good suspension, works just as cool as it looks)

Nice truck, but I think the suspension has one (theoretical) limitation based on the fact that the upper spring mounts seem to provide just one axis of rotation. If the suspension is compressed on one side only, the corresponding lower spring mount follows a curve. The resulting lateral movement must be compensated by the flexibility of the spring.

8 hours ago, Lucullus said:

Nice truck, but I think the suspension has one (theoretical) limitation based on the fact that the upper spring mounts seem to provide just one axis of rotation. If the suspension is compressed on one side only, the corresponding lower spring mount follows a curve. The resulting lateral movement must be compensated by the flexibility of the spring.

Thanks. You are indeed right. However with a small system like this, the curve is fairly negligible and the springs have a certain amount of flex in them. I might upscale the model and use class tyres next time. 

Thanks for all the positive feedback guys. :classic:

On ‎7‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 4:23 AM, Oliver 79 said:

The body work needs a bit of refining. Especially the front. I think it would look better with a white bonnet (hood?),

I made a quick little mock-up of the hood and added onto it so it is 1 stud taller and has white to go with the rest of it.

LDD file

640x381.jpg

15 hours ago, Offroadcreat1ons said:

I made a quick little mock-up of the hood.....

That looks cool. :thumbup: I'm not with my lego at the moment so I can't try it out. I did try a two stud high version myself but thought it was a bit too chunky. It would be nice to make open too. 

Thanks for your input.  :classic: