Brickviller V2

[MOC] Modular Train station

Hi everyone,

In this topic I wanted to show you all my progress on my first modular building for a new city called Canalview. Currently I lack the space to actually display a city, so I wanted to really take the time to design and create each building. The first one is a grand central station. In the past years I made several attempt to create such a building, of which some are more succesfull than others. Here's a quick summary of my earlier attempts: 

Spoiler

Urban station 2007

Station 1   

One of my older station was this one, as you can see it's rather simple (remember I was a kid back then :wink:). The bus could stop under it, so it was also a small transport hub for the city I build. If you want more pictures of the city back then you can view them view them here.

Central station 2011

station_wip_1.jpg station_wip_5.jpg 380158_221023087978508_70795580_n.jpg 

My first attempt was made around 2011. It was a large hall with the trains going underneath it. To match the older yellow train station from World City the entire building was made yellow with trans black windows. Back then most of my buildings were rather simple, and a station like this could be made within weeks. I still like it but that mostly because of the sheer size of it. As you can see the building really dominated the city view.  If you want to view more pictures of my city back then view them here.

Unfinished stations 2012 - 2014

2013-02-18_09.20.58.jpg dscn0303.jpg 

After I demolished most of my old city I entered a small dark age. My Lego was in storage and I had no real way to display it (I still don't though). As you can see I tried to create a more classical styled station, which was supposed to look like the rural stations in Eastern Europe. The other station was inspired by my award winning Modern HouseIt had a large hall, stores (an Apple store and Mcdonalds) under it, and next to it minifigs could pick up a public transport owned electric car. However again because of the lack of space and time it was demolished. 

Digital stations 2015 - 2016

station_concept_2.png station_concept_3-1.png 

During this time I did enjoy creating buildings using Digital Designer. I tried to create some modern looking stations, which could fit a small city. The right station was actually made but no pictures were ever made. 

Canalview Grand Central Station 2017 After months of hard work, the station has finnaly been finished. More pictures below and here36418419610_362d068d0b_c.jpg

39238724141_8883a78a34_b.jpg

25372636418_2bce2138d7_b.jpg

More pictures of the station (with interior) can be found here

Older updates

Update 26 November 2017

Spoiler

The upper floors of the station have been finished, including the full interior. For the last month of this year I'm going to work out the rest of the station
38328242352_00e6d061c1_b.jpg

Update 17 September 2017

Spoiler

At the start of the month I began building the train station with real bricks. However it was very time consuming to search for the right pieces from the already pre-sorted pieces, because it were over 7000 (!). The result of two days work can be seen here:
37283343165_712ac772d5_b.jpg

36445456604_0060bfc070_b.jpg

As you can imagine this really began to become a problem, because I want to finish it before the end of the year. As a result I decided to again pre-sort the bricks, but instead sorting them for the whole thing, I sorted them per sub-section. Whitin a day one of the five main sub-sections has been made:

37283342645_5249313ac5_b.jpg

Update 26 August 2017

Spoiler

36418419610_362d068d0b_b.jpg

Link to bigger picture

This time I added some color to the building, because it looked (even in digital form) kinda boring compared to the other modulars. Now I'm going to collect the last bricks to make this building with real Lego bricks :sweet:

Update 14 August 2017

Spoiler

After some fruitless efforts to redesign the station in the brick I decided to re-do the entire thing in Lego Digital Designer first, then collect/Bricklink the neccesary bricks and then build it in real life. The new design burrows parts from previous modular buildings to make it more fitting with those, while also retaining that Lego look. I'm not really keen of the bicycle stands, so those will probaly change. Also the camera's on the sides will be removed, because I think those distract from the design and clutter it too much. I hope to make the real thing within a month or so. If you have any advice or tips please let me know :classic:

35731400224_94e9a10b82_b.jpg 

Bigger picture here

Update July 2017

Spoiler

July 2017

36043270525_4f08956ac9_b.jpg 36001441996_ebdd72e461_b.jpg 35232909413_14691d4e34_b.jpg 

Most of the exterior of the station has been finished. It took me some time to figure everything out, but I think it looks quite good as a first attempt at a modular building. I still have a lot of designing to do, since it lacks an interior at the moment. 

36043269745_79ca290f70_b.jpg 36043280815_a8b834b60d_b.jpg

Also the back of the station is still very bare. You can see in the right picture one of my early attempts at it. Work on it is really slow, because of my spare time at the moment so I hope I can finish it within a few months. 

Hope you all like it so far, please if you have any comments or tips feel free to post them :thumbup:

Edited by Brickviller V2
Update of progress

Pretty cool evolution of your stations and that Grand Central looks awesome. Funny, it looks much more interesting in the bricks than as a digital creation. :thumbup:

I do like your overhead stations as well, hope you haven't dumped that idea completely?

3 hours ago, Capparezza said:

Funny, it looks much more interesting in the bricks than as a digital creation.

Isn't that true of any lego creation??

lol

14 hours ago, M_slug357 said:

Isn't that true of any lego creation??

Sometimes you get a pretty good picture of what it will look like just from the renderings, even if only done in LDD and not rendered by external programs or postproccessed by other software.

Seems to me the colours in the rendering are a bit off, anyways, compared with the brick built one...

Edited by Capparezza

On 20-7-2017 at 4:55 PM, Capparezza said:

Pretty cool evolution of your stations and that Grand Central looks awesome. Funny, it looks much more interesting in the bricks than as a digital creation. :thumbup:

I do like your overhead stations as well, hope you haven't dumped that idea completely?

Thanks! Yeah the screenshot of the LDD version is a little bland though. I'm not sure if an overhead station would fit in with this style though, but maybe once the main building is finished I can add more buildigs/expansions to it. 

This is an absolutely wonderful train station. I like the architectural style and you executed it perfectly in LEGO. The detailing just above the entrance, the roof etc. Very nice!

On 24-7-2017 at 8:08 AM, Man with a hat said:

This is an absolutely wonderful train station. I like the architectural style and you executed it perfectly in LEGO. The detailing just above the entrance, the roof etc. Very nice!

Thanks! I like the architecture as well :classic:

Another Digital update: 

Link to bigger picture

This time I added some color to the building, because it looked (even in digital form) kinda boring compared to the other modulars. Now I'm going to collect the last bricks to make this building with real Lego bricks :sweet:

Great building. Looks very elegant due to the color scheme and the details on the facade are very well balanced!

On 7/20/2017 at 8:34 AM, Brickviller V2 said:

Hi everyone,

In this topic I wanted to show you all my progress on my first modular building for a new city called Canalview. Currently I lack the space to actually display a city, so I wanted to really take the time to design and create each building. The first one is a grand central station. In the past years I made several attempt to create such a building, of which some are more succesfull than others. Here's a quick summary of my earlier attempts: 

Reveal hidden contents

Urban station 2007

Station 1   

One of my older station was this one, as you can see it's rather simple (remember I was a kid back then :wink:). The bus could stop under it, so it was also a small transport hub for the city I build. If you want more pictures of the city back then you can view them view them here.

Central station 2011

station_wip_1.jpg station_wip_5.jpg 380158_221023087978508_70795580_n.jpg 

My first attempt was made around 2011. It was a large hall with the trains going underneath it. To match the older yellow train station from World City the entire building was made yellow with trans black windows. Back then most of my buildings were rather simple, and a station like this could be made within weeks. I still like it but that mostly because of the sheer size of it. As you can see the building really dominated the city view.  If you want to view more pictures of my city back then view them here.

Unfinished stations 2012 - 2014

2013-02-18_09.20.58.jpg dscn0303.jpg 

After I demolished most of my old city I entered a small dark age. My Lego was in storage and I had no real way to display it (I still don't though). As you can see I tried to create a more classical styled station, which was supposed to look like the rural stations in Eastern Europe. The other station was inspired by my award winning Modern HouseIt had a large hall, stores (an Apple store and Mcdonalds) under it, and next to it minifigs could pick up a public transport owned electric car. However again because of the lack of space and time it was demolished. 

Digital stations 2015 - 2016

station_concept_2.png station_concept_3-1.png 

During this time I did enjoy creating buildings using Digital Designer. I tried to create some modern looking stations, which could fit a small city. The right station was actually made but no pictures were ever made. 

Canalview Grand Central Station 2017 - 

Update 26 August 2017

Link to bigger picture

Older updates

Update 14 August 2017

Reveal hidden contents

After some fruitless efforts to redesign the station in the brick I decided to re-do the entire thing in Lego Digital Designer first, then collect/Bricklink the neccesary bricks and then build it in real life. The new design burrows parts from previous modular buildings to make it more fitting with those, while also retaining that Lego look. I'm not really keen of the bicycle stands, so those will probaly change. Also the camera's on the sides will be removed, because I think those distract from the design and clutter it too much. I hope to make the real thing within a month or so. If you have any advice or tips please let me know :classic:

35731400224_94e9a10b82_b.jpg 

Bigger picture here

Update July 2017

Reveal hidden contents

July 2017

36043270525_4f08956ac9_b.jpg 36001441996_ebdd72e461_b.jpg 35232909413_14691d4e34_b.jpg 

Most of the exterior of the station has been finished. It took me some time to figure everything out, but I think it looks quite good as a first attempt at a modular building. I still have a lot of designing to do, since it lacks an interior at the moment. 

36043269745_79ca290f70_b.jpg 36043280815_a8b834b60d_b.jpg

Also the back of the station is still very bare. You can see in the right picture one of my early attempts at it. Work on it is really slow, because of my spare time at the moment so I hope I can finish it within a few months. 

Hope you all like it so far, please if you have any comments or tips feel free to post them :thumbup:

I don't normally like all white buildings in LEGO but your station is an exception.  Well done!  Nice small footprint, great detail, and the size is a great match for the modular style.  Well Done!  Bravo!! I hope to see more of your work!

Have you thought of selling instructions for your build? or the digital file so others can build it?

Thanks for sharing this!

Update 17 September 2017

At the start of the month I began building the train station with real bricks. However it was very time consuming to search for the right pieces from the already pre-sorted pieces, because it were over 7000 (!). The result of two days work can be seen here:
37283343165_712ac772d5_b.jpg

36445456604_0060bfc070_b.jpg

As you can imagine this really began to become a problem, because I want to finish it before the end of the year. As a result I decided to again pre-sort the bricks, but instead sorting them for the whole thing, I sorted them per sub-section. Whitin a day one of the five main sub-sections has been made:

37283342645_5249313ac5_b.jpg

Nice work! Great porportions and architecture!
I'm a bit confused by your updates: The July 2017 update shows a pretty much complete building in real bricks, albeit missing a few details compared to the current LDD pic - did you take that one apart again and start anew?

On 20-9-2017 at 12:46 AM, BrunoSilva13 said:

Very nice station, would love to see it all in bricks, I think it will be great.

Thanks!

On 20-9-2017 at 10:11 AM, RogerSmith said:

Nice work! Great porportions and architecture!
I'm a bit confused by your updates: The July 2017 update shows a pretty much complete building in real bricks, albeit missing a few details compared to the current LDD pic - did you take that one apart again and start anew?

Thanks! to clear up any confussion, the exterior was made in July, but it proved to be quite difficult to integrate the interior well with the rest, so I decided to redo the entire thing in LDD first, and then build it in real bricks with an interior. 

On 20-9-2017 at 4:43 PM, Elysiumfountain said:

It's so elegant! And I love the way you used the lion heads, I'm quite partial to them myself! :) 

Thanks! Yeah I like that I finnaly found a good use for them 

Any updates? I too would be interested in the LDD or instructions once you're done, if you'e inclined to share/sell them. It's a beautiful building you've created, more impressive than many of the official modulars. 

12 hours ago, jdubbs said:

Any updates? I too would be interested in the LDD or instructions once you're done, if you'e inclined to share/sell them. It's a beautiful building you've created, more impressive than many of the official modulars. 

Thanks! I do think instructions will be avaliable by the end of this year when I've finished the building. See the next post for the latest update!

Update 26 November 2017

The upper floors of the station have been finished, including the full interior. For the last month of this year I'm going to work out the rest of the station

38328242352_00e6d061c1_b.jpg

Looks great!

Would be good to see it from the reverse side, both with and without a train at the platform.