KingsKnight

MOC: Lego Ideas - Space Shuttle (Saturn V Scale)

On 10/22/2018 at 3:18 AM, maxnucios said:

Guys,

excuse me for my probable stupid question, but I'm basically a dummy.

I would like to build this fantastic MOC but I don't find the partlist file. Is it available anywhere?

Ciao
Max

I don't have a parts list, but on the facebook page mentioned above, I posted the Stud.io file. This should contain everything you need to make a bricklink parts list. I hope this link will work. It's the original post where I shared the file (Only for personal use please)...
https://www.facebook.com/groups/saturnvmods/permalink/449221398816450/

BTW, if you're searching for this or any of my other files on the facebook page, I started each filename with "KingsKnight" to make it easier to find.

Edited by KingsKnight

13 hours ago, Shiva said:

manglegrat, congratulations on getting that 10231!

Thanks, I'm still a bit amazed - I missed one for $120 a few weeks back and thought that was my chance gone. You never know when your luck's gonna change! :wink:

Hey all, I made a sticker sheet for pretty much all variants and eras of the Orbiter. I added it to a google drive folder with my other Space Shuttle files to make it easy to find:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1qaZ65qgg1iyzjB215oiaOj9k9cbCB6Cp?usp=sharing

I would also highly recommend looking at this link for reference on which stickers to use and where to place them:
http://axmpaperspacescalemodels.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/Space-Shuttle-External-Markings.pdf?fbclid=IwAR3ALlFONPVIVCddrfOTLUN9Cc_cLf_0u3zuliSsiR7nKBygPY16SPe953M

If I can’t get the Dark Orange pieces for the external tank,  could I use normal orange pieces instead?

Markyjj, I would say yes. You could go for all white too. The White External Tanks were used on the 2 first launches.

And I think KingsKnight has instructions somewhere on what pieces to swap on the Shuttle, to have the correct colours for it.

2 hours ago, Markyjj said:

If I can’t get the Dark Orange pieces for the external tank,  could I use normal orange pieces instead?

35 minutes ago, Shiva said:

Markyjj, I would say yes. You could go for all white too. The White External Tanks were used on the 2 first launches.

And I think KingsKnight has instructions somewhere on what pieces to swap on the Shuttle, to have the correct colours for it.

White is a good alternate color if you want to use the same design. @shopsmart (might have the username wrong) has a design to make an orange tank using available parts, but the design will be slightly different. You could also make a dark red or tan tank with his designs with a couple small changes.

Thanks for the advice.  I just think that I would like to have the colour of the tank as close as possible to the orange and not all white.

I am unable to find  PDF uploaded by David Welling on 24 Jun at 15:29 as mentioned in a earlier post.  Is there anywhere I can get the instructions for the alternate version please.

12 hours ago, Markyjj said:

I am unable to find  PDF uploaded by David Welling on 24 Jun at 15:29 as mentioned in a earlier post.  Is there anywhere I can get the instructions for the alternate version please.

There is a Google Drive Folder with these and many other files/instrcutions created by members of the aforementioned Facebook Group:

Folder for the Shuttle Modification: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1Uh25cod7JqoA5jgZ_v4629vFr92LTmaW

Main Folder: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1XvqSDLwJMsE86fSwTltEGYQhHqX3-p1w

Ok, thanks for that , I will check it out.  I think the shuttle will go nice next to the Saturn V that I built. ( sorry, let me rephrase: that my wife built)

If I'm building with a white tank, what should I leave in its original color and what should be replaced with white?  All the orange/beige/brown parts get whited out I assume, but what about the gray panels at the top or the yellow/etc fiddly bits at the bottom?

Hey! Awesome model, and it will look super next to my Saturn V. I will get a used LEGO 10231 set soon, and I want to upgrade it to your design. Just downloaded the V2 instructions. So how far will I get with the parts from the 10231? As someone else have mentioned it would be really useful with a parts list with part number / design number. I can’t figure out how to get it from the stud.io file. Cheers. 

On 3/2/2019 at 10:33 AM, KingsKnight said:

Hey all, I made a sticker sheet for pretty much all variants and eras of the Orbiter. I added it to a google drive folder with my other Space Shuttle files to make it easy to find:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1qaZ65qgg1iyzjB215oiaOj9k9cbCB6Cp?usp=sharing

I would also highly recommend looking at this link for reference on which stickers to use and where to place them:
http://axmpaperspacescalemodels.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/Space-Shuttle-External-Markings.pdf?fbclid=IwAR3ALlFONPVIVCddrfOTLUN9Cc_cLf_0u3zuliSsiR7nKBygPY16SPe953M

Hey, what size sheet should I use for printing the stickers? A4? A5? I’m sending the file to my friend who make stickers. 

Hello team, I'm just getting the pieces together to build this magnificent creation, but I have a question for @KingsKnight on the decals.  Can I print that file out using any size sticker paper?  I'm a total novice at printing my own decals.  I must saw I'm so smitten with your shuttle and can't wait for all my pieces to come in so I can get to building!   

Thanks for posting up these directions KingsKnight!
I was sad to hear the "ideas" set was turned down a few years ago, and I was just revisiting my old photo-based LDD buildup of the model a last week, and realized that I had never finished implementing some of the modifications that I had done for the Shuttle Expedition set a number of years back.

I haven't done an actual build yet to verify everything works as expected, but I just finished a virtual build up with the following changes:

• lowered main floor in mid deck
  • cleaned up cargo bay cosmetically and added mounting points for canadarm(s)
  • added internal airlock
  • airlock outer hatch is connected with removable pin so that additional habitat modules can be connected to airlock stay rigid in cargo bay area
  • APAS module redesigned for a tighter fit and to allow clearance for canadarm(s)
  • canadarms now built out of bars which I feel is cosmetically better, although cannot support any real weight under gravity (just like the real thing!)
  • main wings completely refactored to allow for the RCC leading edge to be placed mid-wing and look more prototypical

I'm not even going to try tackling the SRB and tank plans- they look great as they are, but way out of my budget to build in the right colors!

I'd love to hear if anyone has any further suggestions!
Should I document my changes and create an updated bricklink studio file?
There's mention in this thread of a facebook group, but I the group seems to no longer exist?

XqUIkKt.pngjIPXgXR.pngDJsyqsJ.png

So if I wanted to build this model from scratch are there any current sets that would give me a good head start on the pieces I need rather than buying them all off of Bricklink?

1 hour ago, CrazyJoe said:

So if I wanted to build this model from scratch are there any current sets that would give me a good head start on the pieces I need rather than buying them all off of Bricklink?

Think the 10231 is a good place to start. I got it, built it – and will soon take it apart to do a piece count / comparison.

The facebook group changed name to https://www.facebook.com/groups/legospacebuilds/

I am modding Valerie Roche (Whatsuptoday) and Emmanuel Urquieta (Spacemd)¨s NASA Saturn-V Launch Umbilical Tower to Mobile Launcher Platform 1 as it was on the STS-1 launch.

Or as close as I can get it. Most of it done in LDD. But I'll replace my current Tail Service Masts with KingsKnights, but modify them to STS-1.

For the internal supports I'll use technic beams/bricks. Test version from LDD can be seen here:

640x408.jpg

Bigger picture here.

I did not have the technic bricks at home. Only the beams etc.

Yesterday I got the final bricks via bricklink and built it IRL, the structure seems OK. So what is seen in the picture, is built in real life too.

Someday I think I'll buy and replace the horizontal beams with bricks instead. And make a few additions so it covers more.

Sort of a T structure between the "vents/exhaust holes" of the MLP. Now all three "vents" are in the open area. And more support towards side 3, right of the picture. Unused technic holes on the bricks will be used.

Edited by Shiva

Hello,

I downloaded the stud.io file and searched the missing bricks on bricklink.

The 30562 dark orange is quite rare. Is there a different brick that I can use?

3 hours ago, riccardino said:

Hello,

I downloaded the stud.io file and searched the missing bricks on bricklink.

The 30562 dark orange is quite rare. Is there a different brick that I can use?

Yeah they are silly expensive. My best bet is to try and score a used 10231 cheap. Then you’re just 2 short. 

15 hours ago, riccardino said:

10231 is not cheap at all!!

I found it at least 400 euro...

Hmm I paid just €100 for mine, but I see now that the price has gone up quite a lot.