KingsKnight

MOC: Lego Ideas - Space Shuttle (Saturn V Scale)

18 hours ago, shopsmart said:

My altered version now has plans floating out there, but you will have to find the facebook group I am on to obtain them.

This group? https://www.facebook.com/groups/saturnvmods/. Fortunately, it's public, so anyone can browse it, even if they aren't a Facebook user.

And would that be the PDF uploaded by David Welling on 24 Jun at 15:29? I can't check this link because I'm not on Facebook, but I think this should work: https://www.facebook.com/groups/saturnvmods/374219386316652/

Cheers ShottishDave. the facebook page is way more interesting than I tought. Btw, I do NOT have facebook, so if there is ever some1 saying it's me, then that is incorrect. I'm found on ideas on a different username tho.

The gimballing with the Fez, I could lift the Orbiter by 1 of these. That was a surprise, when I tested it, after finishing the build. Downside was that the gimballed main engine's 6233 connection is way weaker.

On 7/4/2018 at 2:28 PM, ScottishDave said:

This group? https://www.facebook.com/groups/saturnvmods/. Fortunately, it's public, so anyone can browse it, even if they aren't a Facebook user.

And would that be the PDF uploaded by David Welling on 24 Jun at 15:29? I can't check this link because I'm not on Facebook, but I think this should work: https://www.facebook.com/groups/saturnvmods/374219386316652/

Yes on all.

I got EXTREMELY lucky yesterday and managed to find both the Quarter Cylinders(12 of them) and 45705(two of them) for about $1 each all in Dark Orange. I just randomly checked bricklink and it was there. I'll be building this in August in Dark Orange now. Very excited. 

Wow to all, I just found this thread and give you all a big thumbs up.

I was disappointed too that TLG said no to this wonderful build. But the AFOLs wont take that, no sir.

On 6/18/2018 at 10:06 PM, KingsKnight said:

MDbeLHy.jpg?1
Hi all,

I finally sat down and compiled instructions for my Lego Ideas Space Shuttle. With the help of @Shiva and @shopsmart, as well as others on Facebook, this version has been improved over the original Ideas submission, so it's stronger and more stable (I'm calling it v2.0). Some notes on these instructions:

- Contains instructions for the Orbiter, External Tank, Solid Rocket Boosters, a simple display stand, and the Astrovan (I will try and post the Launch Pad from the Ideas Update at a later date).
- The parts lists are at the end of each section. 
- This is my first time using instruction software, so I'm learning. It's low resolution and I had to fix a lot of the pages in photoshop and add necessary notes (and missing parts!). Hopefully I can put out an updated version that looks cleaner.
- I had to pick specific colors since I’m putting together an actual set (for a friend's birthday), but all of the internal colors can be whatever you want to help save on costs.
- This is for personal use only please.

Thanks,
KingsKnight

Lego Ideas Space Shuttle Instructions PDF

Wow, thank you so much KingsKnight! Looking at the instructions it looks like I have most the parts from the LEGO Creator 3 in 1 Space Shuttle set, but I still need to order a few and dive through my collection. One question though: How awful would  substituting part 18907 for 87613 look? I know several modifications would be needed for it to fit, but would that affect the structural stability?

Thanks!

DodgeDude5498: 87613 ? Not that many modifications needed, but they would fit ill with the 18910 curved hinge panels. A white 18907 would fit better, that you could paint yourself.

Shiva: My Orbiter is nearly done, just a small Bricklink order on the way. I did get a white 18907, but forgot to get the glass. And I didn't realize they were made with space shuttle print, so I might make another order with a printed 18907 and the glass. Thanks for your help!

@KingsKnight are you going to release instructions for the satellite shown in the original LEGO Ideas submission? I tried to build my own but it wouldn't fit in the bay with the Canadarm.

DodgeDude5498 the Canadarm design shopsmart and another builder have done, that one should fit better with satellites.

WTXWA1g.gif

I finally got around to making instructions for the Launch Pad Display for the Space Shuttle. This is an upgrade over the one in the original Lego Ideas Update section (again sort of a 2.0). It's not a full launch pad, but a segment of it (16x32 studs) just for display. However, the elements on it can be used for a full launch pad display if someone wanted to expand on it. And again, this is for personal use only please.

Lego Ideas Space Shuttle Launch Pad Display Instructions PDF

On 7/26/2018 at 12:50 PM, DodgeDude5498 said:

Shiva: My Orbiter is nearly done, just a small Bricklink order on the way. I did get a white 18907, but forgot to get the glass. And I didn't realize they were made with space shuttle print, so I might make another order with a printed 18907 and the glass. Thanks for your help!

@KingsKnight are you going to release instructions for the satellite shown in the original LEGO Ideas submission? I tried to build my own but it wouldn't fit in the bay with the Canadarm.

I hadn't planned on instructions for that. That was sort of a dummy satellite. If you'd like I can try and recreate the original build if I can remember it.

Edited by KingsKnight

@Shiva Not a facebook guy here, so a pic of it would be much appreciated.

And KingsKnight, that would be great if you could. Even just a few good pictures would work. Just trying to get some satellite that will fit.

Edited by DodgeDude5498

@DodgeDude5498, instructions can be downloaded without a facebook account.

Scroll down a LOT, then search for "Shuttle Orbiter.pdf " It has a nice Canadarm.

On 8/1/2018 at 4:30 PM, Shiva said:

@DodgeDude5498, instructions can be downloaded without a facebook account.

Scroll down a LOT, then search for "Shuttle Orbiter.pdf " It has a nice Canadarm.

How far down, I went all the way to late December, and nothing relevant searching for pdf.

59 minutes ago, DanNeely said:

How far down, I went all the way to late December, and nothing relevant searching for pdf.

Here's a link to the pdf; may or may not work. 

file:///C:/Users/Anita/Downloads/Shuttle%20Orbiter%20(1).pdf

7 hours ago, DodgeDude5498 said:

Here's a link to the pdf; may or may not work. 

file:///C:/Users/Anita/Downloads/Shuttle%20Orbiter%20(1).pdf

that's a path to where the file was saved on your computer

I figured that might happen. Shiva sent me a link a few days ago, but now it only brings me to a facebook login page. I could try to take a screen shot of the Canadarm part, or wait and see if Shiva can put up another link?

@KingsKnight, Shiva showed my a thinner version of the Canadarm that should work, plus I'm probably gonna be building luxordeathbed/shopsmart's Hubble Telescope as a payload. So no need to put together instructions in you were going to.

22 hours ago, DanNeely said:

Search for "Shuttle" . " Shuttle Orbiter.pdf " works too.

The posts are not ordered by original poster date, but when the latest reply was.

Edited by Shiva
"Shuttle Orbiter.pdf" search

On 7/30/2018 at 7:40 AM, KingsKnight said:

WTXWA1g.gif

I finally got around to making instructions for the Launch Pad Display for the Space Shuttle. This is an upgrade over the one in the original Lego Ideas Update section (again sort of a 2.0). It's not a full launch pad, but a segment of it (16x32 studs) just for display. However, the elements on it can be used for a full launch pad display if someone wanted to expand on it. And again, this is for personal use only please.

Lego Ideas Space Shuttle Launch Pad Display Instructions PDF

I hadn't planned on instructions for that. That was sort of a dummy satellite. If you'd like I can try and recreate the original build if I can remember it.

@KingsKnight If you want I can provide an lxf of my interpretation of the satellite (probably easiest way is by email). It does fit in the cargo bay but the arm doesn't fully fold down, this may be just an issue in LDD rather than in real life.

Edited by CCarmichael89

Guys,

excuse me for my probable stupid question, but I'm basically a dummy.

I would like to build this fantastic MOC but I don't find the partlist file. Is it available anywhere?

Ciao
Max

Last night I managed to score a 2nd-hand 10231 from a local (Kijiji.ca) ad for $80 CAD, so I could get the dark-orange tank parts. It was missing a few inconsequential parts on one booster and all of the ground crew bits/baseplate parts (2 astronaut minifigs, though), but the shuttle and tank itself were in perfect condition (not even dusty!), so I'm feeling pretty lucky today! :blush:

I had previously built the tank in white a few months ago and thought I was totally priced-out of ever getting the orange version, but now I'm back on track and working out what other parts I need to switch over to dark-orange. :excited: 

Loving the fancy display base design, @KingsKnight! The orange-tank version may deserve that base rather than just the basic one... :wink:

manglegrat, congratulations on getting that 10231!

KingsKnight's Base looks great, I agree. I'll someday soon build the tail serice masts in LDD and then check what difference there is between it and the STS-1 version.