KingsKnight

MOC: Lego Ideas - Space Shuttle (Saturn V Scale)

New Good Shuttle = Your shuttle design :) Last? year, I checked all shuttle's that Lego had done, none was in the range of KingsKnights. Not even the biggest.

On 5/22/2018 at 11:03 PM, Shiva said:

New Good Shuttle = Your shuttle design :) Last? year, I checked all shuttle's that Lego had done, none was in the range of KingsKnights. Not even the biggest.

Wow thank you for the kind words Shiva. It has been inspiring seeing your work and others in improving the original design! I think it can get even better :)

On 5/19/2018 at 12:45 PM, Shiva said:

My variant of the External Tank's Nose:

Photo 1:

640x418.jpg

Photo 2  , Photo 3 , Photo 4 and Photo 5. Not superdetailed, but shows how it is built, mostly. Connection to middle part of the External Tank differs a bit to KingsKnights original.

...(edit: shortened post for this reply)...

I love what you've done here for the nose cone. My original had several weak connections. I made a stronger version based on your great design. I had to make a few adjustments to make it work with dark orange pieces near the top. I also added even more strength by attaching it to the center using 2 wheel axles (part 30000 "Brick, Modified 2 x 2 with Pins and Axle Hole") I also had to adjust to few things because the base/attachment point of my nose cone starts at a slightly different level from your design, but overall I'm sure you can see the similarities.

5bzdOrl.jpg

The external tank is a lot easier to view and to build. My shuttle orbiter is done except for a few pieces that need to be in different colors.

Edited by Ashchord

KingsKnight,

Thank you for the excellent work.

I am building the Orbiter in landing configuration in Stud.io. I used your suggestion about using the triangular tile 35787 on the wings. Unfortunately Stud.io does not support these in the current version so there are gaps in the model right now. I also made some modifications like at the side close to the main engines. I also put tiles in the cargo  bay.

A big problem for me is the landing gear. I need to find a solution on the real model. I ordered the parts and continue hands on when I received them.

Regards,

Christian

Lego_Ideas_Space_Shuttle.landing_gear.jpg

Lego_Ideas_Space_Shuttle.wing_and_side.jpg

MDbeLHy.jpg?1
Hi all,

I finally sat down and compiled instructions for my Lego Ideas Space Shuttle. With the help of @Shiva and @shopsmart, as well as others on Facebook, this version has been improved over the original Ideas submission, so it's stronger and more stable (I'm calling it v2.0). Some notes on these instructions:

- Contains instructions for the Orbiter, External Tank, Solid Rocket Boosters, a simple display stand, and the Astrovan (I will try and post the Launch Pad from the Ideas Update at a later date).
- The parts lists are at the end of each section. 
- This is my first time using instruction software, so I'm learning. It's low resolution and I had to fix a lot of the pages in photoshop and add necessary notes (and missing parts!). Hopefully I can put out an updated version that looks cleaner.
- I had to pick specific colors since I’m putting together an actual set (for a friend's birthday), but all of the internal colors can be whatever you want to help save on costs.
- This is for personal use only please.

Thanks,
KingsKnight

Lego Ideas Space Shuttle Instructions PDF

29 minutes ago, KingsKnight said:

MDbeLHy.jpg?1
Hi all,

I finally sat down and compiled instructions for my Lego Ideas Space Shuttle. With the help of @Shiva and @shopsmart, as well as others on Facebook, this version has been improved over the original Ideas submission, so it's stronger and more stable (I'm calling it v2.0). Some notes on these instructions:

- Contains instructions for the Orbiter, External Tank, Solid Rocket Boosters, a simple display stand, and the Astrovan (I will try and post the Launch Pad from the Ideas Update at a later date).
- The parts lists are at the end of each section. 
- This is my first time using instruction software, so I'm learning. It's low resolution and I had to fix a lot of the pages in photoshop and add necessary notes (and missing parts!). Hopefully I can put out an updated version that looks cleaner.
- I had to pick specific colors since I’m putting together an actual set (for a friend's birthday), but all of the internal colors can be whatever you want to help save on costs.
- This is for personal use only please.

Thanks,
KingsKnight

Lego Ideas Space Shuttle Instructions PDF

Thank you KingsKnight, Shiva and shopsmart for the instructions! This is VERY helpful for building this wonderful creation. I will be done with the shuttle very soon because of this. *will you make downloadable prints for the orbiter? And eventually add the part numbers to the instructions?(just an idea)* Thanks again!

Edited by Ashchord

32 minutes ago, KingsKnight said:

Hi all,

I finally sat down and compiled instructions for my Lego Ideas Space Shuttle. With the help of @Shiva and @shopsmart, as well as others on Facebook, this version has been improved over the original Ideas submission, so it's stronger and more stable (I'm calling it v2.0). 

Wow, that is awesome! :excited: Thanks so much to all of you guys for pulling these together and sharing them out to the community - you rock! :thumbup:

Thank you wonderful beings KingsKnight, Shiva and shopsmart for the instructions! Will have to order some parts now :excited:

Thank you very much @KingsKnight! That's fantastic. So many areas where I'm now saying, "Oh, so THAT'S how it was built!"

Why the newer clips on the cargo door hinges? Is it because the old style clips are too stiff?

9 hours ago, ScottishDave said:

Thank you very much @KingsKnight! That's fantastic. So many areas where I'm now saying, "Oh, so THAT'S how it was built!"

Why the newer clips on the cargo door hinges? Is it because the old style clips are too stiff?

Oh either will work. Not sure if I mentioned it, but I'm putting together a set of this for my friend, so I had to be specific based on the parts I have/bought. In actuality, you can swap out whichever clips work best. I will say though, that I use the old style clip on the tail because it looks cleaner. It looks more like a smooth line. But it's a minor design thing.

I have been following this for some time now, as all things space related are cool and I must say this has turned out very well. Even better the instructions are offered for free personal use, hopefully they don't get "Jimbricked" anyhow is there a ballpark figure for part cost. I know there are many variables in pricing but I would like to have some idea before I take the plunge. 

Estimate, for Space shuttle. 1700SEK / 165€ / 190USD + a few parts I had at home. + I ordered some parts extra. My External tank differs from KingsKnight's tho. Internals different and it is in white.

2x Lego Bricks & Pieces orders. 8x Brickling orders, all but 1 from Swedish sellers. Freight etc. estimate: 350SEK / 34€ / 40USD.

I ordered the pieces and built the Orbiter first. Then after that I ordered and built the External Tank and Boosters.

/edit:

1700SEK / 165€ / 190USD Includes freight costs etc.

Edited by Shiva
Estimate at first line is including freight etc.

Wow thank you so much. I've been following this since day one. It looks UNREAL. 

Given that there is a great shortage of the Dark Orange colours has anyone tried to paint the external tank? I'm debating buying all the parts in white and painting them. It's only the 45705 I'm concerned about. I wonder if there's another way to replicate that shape? Painting is my last option/resort.

Edited by SheldonF

Thank you so much for that, KingsKnight.

I’ve had a surgery in my right hand and spent the last month at home for recovery. My only therapy was to use my left hand and all the pictures you posted so far, to create my own Stud.io model of your shuttle. I’m almost done, but these instructions will definitely help me solve a few issues, mainly with the Technic parts (never used those before). 

I share the same opinions as Shiva - I think your model is the best space shuttle ever made in Lego.

On 6/27/2018 at 7:45 PM, SheldonF said:

Wow thank you so much. I've been following this since day one. It looks UNREAL. 

Given that there is a great shortage of the Dark Orange colours has anyone tried to paint the external tank? I'm debating buying all the parts in white and painting them. It's only the 45705 I'm concerned about. I wonder if there's another way to replicate that shape? Painting is my last option/resort.

@SheldonF I painted a few pieces which I couldn't get hold of any other way using RAL 8023 Orange-brown paint. It is a very close match to the lego colour. It looks perfectly fine in normal light conditions.

White is also a valid colour for the tank, by the way. Early missions had tanks which were painted white until NASA realised that it made no difference to heat-shielding, and that they could save a few tonnes of weight by leaving out the paint.

Edited by ScottishDave

Yikes!  Is the orange 45705 the only rare part whose price is a ticking timebomb? 

I'm not planning on doing a shuttle until after my LUT's done (so probably fall/winter); but if there're any other problematic parts am willing to snipe them up now before prices explode and I have more painting to do.

@DanNeely Sadly no. The quarter cylider 30562 is a bomb which has already exploded. You need 14 of them.

One rattle-can of plactic-specific orange-brown paint cost me £14.... it's probably the same in dollars or euros. You do the maths.

Edited by ScottishDave

I worked with Shiva awhile ago for months converting his white version to orange (yes there is an orange ET that existed).  Was able to talk with kingsknight and perfected the build even more. The whole purpose is to avoid and have an alternative version due to costs going up on dark orange.  My altered version now has plans floating out there, but you will have to find the facebook group I am on to obtain them.