KingsKnight

MOC: Lego Ideas - Space Shuttle (Saturn V Scale)

freshfather, no I have not done any interior details. Only thing I'll add is cargo bay details in the future. And some rebuilds/strengthening of the orbiter and boosters. + more details to the external tank.

Well done Shiva - it's good to see another shuttle completed.

I love the idea of using the six-blade rotor 64566 in the mid-section of the tank. I wish I'd thought of that. My solution was more convoluted, but got the job done.

ScottishDave, thank you. I'm not 100% happy with the back end of my shuttle, currently it would need 2 white stickers in the back. 1 on each side.

it would have been nice to be able to use the 65466's with 32209 +Ā 32034 + 6541 + 32001/3709b + 15535 to attach the Boosters to the External Tank. But I have no clue yet, if the vertical plates with holes can be aligned to work with the Boosters.

/Edit: According to a test in LDD, it differs a 1/3rd of a plate for this setup to work?

Altho, other things that have worked in LDD has not worked in a real build. And things that have not worked in LDD, does work in a real build.

Edited by Shiva
Adding test result.

Hi, I built my copy of the Shuttle, but I could not figure out how to fix the rudder, the fixing is not stable. You can help me?

Thanks, Adriano

image1_a.jpg

Adriano72, you mean the split rudder?Ā  If yes:

54384 and 54383 for the rudder pieces. 2x 26047's on the rudders "4x total". Those pieces are connected to 15712's "4x in total". And those are connected in pairs to 2x 4081b. And theĀ 4081b's are fixed to the Vertical stabilizer. This will not work direclty to your Vertical stabilizer, because it seems it is built studs down, while the others I have seen, including mine are built studside up, covered in tiles.

Thanks Shiva for your replay.

I preferred the solution of the undivided rudder. My problem is how to create a stable connection (red circle in the picture).

Adriano

Timone_tn.jpg

Adriano72, ah, that. It is my builds weak spot too. I have no good solutions for it at the moment. But check out Lego 31066. I am thinking of someday rebuilding my shuttle's vertizal stabilizer attachment points.

ScottishDave, I see you used the smaller half cylinders 6259's for your Boosters. I'll someday switch out my 85941 with 6259 and 87081 's, due that the bigger half cylinders have weaker connections. And switch out some round plates too.

Yes, and I put long axles in the boosters also. There is still a weak point half-way up. I have to be slightly careful of it.

My stabiliser fin looks like this:

40764008295_8940809d1b.jpg

It's attached to four stud jumpers between the engines. It does tend to fall off if pushed hard but it comes off as one unit. I'm not sure how it could be made better without a total redesign.

I could fit in that stabilizer quite fast, if I have all the parts. ScottishDave.

Boosters, 32 + 16 long axles. External Tank 32, 8 and 8 with stop. The 32 long axles are way cheaper than the 16 long.

My Booster axle connection:

5334711-Eiffleman_1-aGL-mptLCgpDmQ.jpg

Shiva, thank you for the connector idea. I've tried it and it works beautifully.

Ā 

Edited by ScottishDave
updated information

Hi all, I was so bummed when my idea wasn't selected, but it's been so inspiring seeing what you guys have done with it here!Ā I've been incredibly busy, but I've been meaning to take some reference photos to share. I hope they'll be helpful to anyone who wants to try it out. Some parts areĀ really complex, so if anyone wants to figure out how to simplify it, please share!

LEGO Space Shuttle - Reference Photos

Orbiter:
https://imgur.com/a/KNJHXd8

External Tank and Solid Rocket Boosters:
https://imgur.com/a/jvpyhVE

And thank you all again for being fans of the idea :)

Thanks for posting the detailed reference pictures.Ā  I've been wondering for a while how the wings were built.Ā  Now maybe I can add this to my ever-growing list of things to build in Stud.io and then order the parts for.

KingsKnight, cheers for the pictures. Rear Orbiter to External fuel tank I have simplified. Someday I'll add more details to it, but a bit differently than yours.

My orbiter is visually mostly as yours. Tail the same, pods mostly,, rear internals different. All thrustes gimballed.

External fuel tank externally as yours, except the bottom orbiter attachment. Internals, quite different. I went with technic beams for the lower fuel tank stability. rotor blade internal for mid and top curved internals different too.

1 hour ago, Shiva said:

KingsKnight, cheers for the pictures. Rear Orbiter to External fuel tank I have simplified. Someday I'll add more details to it, but a bit differently than yours.

My orbiter is visually mostly as yours. Tail the same, pods mostly,, rear internals different. All thrustes gimballed.

External fuel tank externally as yours, except the bottom orbiter attachment. Internals, quite different. I went with technic beams for the lower fuel tank stability. rotor blade internal for mid and top curved internals different too.

It's been great to see what you and others are doing with this build. The External tank needs a lot of improvement. At the time I was just doing what I could to get a working prototype, but I know it's too complex for what it needs to be. Would love to see more about what you've done to the tank and orbiter!

As for the wings, Lego has since come out with a new 45 degree tile (part 35787) which may clean up the wing design a lot. When I made the wings, I needed an uninterrupted 45 degree angle. The smaller wedge plates have notches at the corners and theĀ and the larger wedge plates were either too short or too long, so I used the older wing plates. But the new tile should make it look nice and clean, although the right colors only come in the large ferrari speed champions set, so it might be a while before they're widely available.

35787's I have tought about too, but not implemented.

Nose.jpg

I should have checked how the noses of 10231 and 10213 were made, would have gone way faster. I have no 1x6 plates, so those are missing.

Bottom.jpg

To do list is to add more details in the future.

The dark blue pieces, holds the bricks quite nicely in place. So far atleast.

Wow that looks so clean Shiva! It vastly simplifies what I had, which was way too complex. The External Tank is the area I most want to improve upon.

On 4/15/2018 at 2:35 AM, Shiva said:

Richard, I used parts 64566 x 4 to do the Mid section of the SRB. My build of it works IRL, but not accepted in LDD, oddly enough.

How the others did, no clue.

I am still waiting for the last parts to arrive, so I can finish my build.

The waterwheel idea is great! I didn't know that part existed. I think yours must be vastly more stable, and the angles look much more uniform.

Edit: You can alternateĀ 35787s withĀ 27263s and not have to buy as many of them.

Edited by KingsKnight
added info

Oops, I forgot the 27263's. I have seen those too and tought of them, but totally forgot them.

The waterwheels have disadvantages too. They are connected toĀ 25893Ā  that connect to 97760 "orĀ 3023 and 97760's" plates connected to 2x3 and 2x4 plates, in my build. 2x7 plates, if there were any, would take away some of the sideplate weakness. It might be possible to replace some of the 97760 with 2x6 or 2x4 plates, I have not checked if those would fit.

And I could use more reinforcements between the waterwheels and rest of body. Round bricks would fit as reinforcement, they fit between the waterwheel 'spokes'.

The angles are quite nice, yes.

Edited by Shiva
"2x typos fixed, marked with bold text: 25893 -> 97760"

Hi, I was a bit confused on the bottom part of the external tank interior and a little bit on the plating for the nosecone. I really love this space shuttle! So on the LEGO ideas decription, I saw landing gear but was that just for looks? Also, where do you find all the brick parts at? **Maybe include a parts list**Ā Thank you for creating this beauty!!!

parts? there is brickowl, bricklink. LEGO's webpage, 2 different options and even more?