Great video review as ever.

seeing it now it puts it on my possible list.

i think it may be a great set for modding

have you tried the Claas/6x6 wheels/tyres on it?

might have to hope a well known supermarket gives a good discount on this like they did with the Claas very early on, got to buy a London Routemaster first 

Great review, as always. I concur with your assessment. This set/review is worth a frontpage :wink: 

Finally - a redemption for Technic Line 2017. First set after Claas, that I will actually eagerly await to land on my desk. Thanks for a great review!

10 hours ago, BrickbyBrickTechnic said:

Awesome review as always Sariel! The suspension is really intricate. Anyone who's reading this, 42054 or 42069? Which is better?

This kit all day long. Much more pieces and actually useful ones like v-engine motor mount 4 hard and 2 soft shock absorber , ect.

And it's just a cooler kit.

Hey Jim, when will your review for this be out?

Another great review Sariel, well done! If I was to buy this set, then I'd probably change the purple for another colour and add wheels. To me this set looks so much better with them; looking like a dune buggy or something! 

5 hours ago, move5 said:

So, should I buy 42069 or 42043(benz truck)? I am deeply concerning about this.... 

42043, 42069 is better than I thought it would be, but 42043 is king, it's much better and won't be round much longer. 

6 hours ago, ColletArrow said:

Excellent review. I think this is a really nice set, and it even comes with a hamster storage space. What more could you want?

Does that mean I have to get a hamster to put in the hamster storage space?

-- or --

Maybe LEGO should include a LEGO hamster ;) ;)

Andy D

Good review but there is nothing "weird" about this set. Don't think adding wheels would make it better either. It's something different than the usual big car. I was not sure about this set when i first saw the images, but over time as I looked again and again I could see more about it I liked. For me it looks good, I like the colours (I wont be using the stickers), love the functions having seen them now and the doors are sick! It provides me with some great parts for the collection. The purple wheel arches, some grey panels, lots of pulley wheels etc etc.

I'm dribbling thinking about it.  I might actually camp outside the lego store on the night of the 31st July.

H

9 minutes ago, Horace T said:

I might actually camp outside the lego store on the night of the 31st July.

lol, it will be like a black Friday at the Lego store.

If I pull this off it will be only the second time I have bought a set on the day it is released. The first being last year when I bought the Volvo 42053.

At least for those who don't like 42070 we have 42069. if both sets were not upto our expectations we'd all be in trouble.

H:thumbup:

Very good review Sariel, thanks for the thorough examination of all the functions (as usual). I find the door mechanism fascinating.

For some reason I thought we'd be getting more purple pieces, but it's a different shade. This will be known as the Rainbow Technic Era. 

I wonder how difficult it would be to add power functions for drive/steering, is there space to add this easily.  

This is a much better set then 42070, better funcrions and much better value for money. But i still will only buy the airport rescue vehicle.

@Sariel....will you be doing the B model of 42068?

10 hours ago, BusterHaus said:

Very good review Sariel, thanks for the thorough examination of all the functions (as usual). I find the door mechanism fascinating.

For some reason I thought we'd be getting more purple pieces, but it's a different shade. This will be known as the Rainbow Technic Era. 

Personally....i would have liked the same parts/method used in the doors of 8297, the dampened shock absorbers....also would be nice to get that part back into production.

Thanks for another excellent review. Like most opinions here having watched it, it's not perfect but has good modding potential and decent value overall.

On a side note, I always see you refer to the instructions coming in a foil bag. Is it just me or do I think that statement is wrong? "Foil" as I typically understand it is a thin sheet of pressed metal. "Foil" bags are more like those you'd find packets of potato crisps in. I think it would be better to call the ones used for Lego BI as plastic (or poly) bags.

Thanks for your review of this wonderful set. I really like the color combination and design. There is nothing wrong with a vehicle free designed but based on a excisting vehicle. Only the 42068 looks close to a real crashtender.

It was en interesting build, specialy the spring door system and the extendible roof construction.

Fitting this model with wheels isn't a bad idea and the fast fix in the video gives a good example how this might look. I do agree with Lucullus that the axles had to be reconstructed in order to fit the wheels better. I like the yellow on the track holders, so yellow rims would look good when this model is fitted with wheel.

Th only thing that I found wrong in you video Sariel, is that you say that you could leave out the rubber grips on the tracks for more smooth driving and steering. You only replaced 1 of the tracks with smooth tracks and the other 3 tracks still provide traction, so the smooth track will still run. If you replace all the tracks the vehicle will not drive on a smooth surface. There is just to much friction in the drive system to let this work. The rest of your points in the video I agree aspecialy on the sticker remark. The only thing is that on my model I don't have any problem with the doors getting stuck half way once in a while.

I am so glade that after a thorough inspection the hamster approves this set :) As do I and recommend it for a nice building and play experience, with a nice price to part ratio.

Only set I will get. More things on this set than I expected. Suspension on both axles was unexpected. The colours are not bad though it is unusual. It couldv'e been a flagship to replace sets like 9398 and 42030 if it was motorized. This way worth than that hideous looking good for nothing 42070. IT HAS 500 MORE PARTS AND IS FREACKING 100$ CHEAPER!!!!

The only thing this set needs is some wheels (Pity they didn't use wheels) and some motorization (which you can buy with the 100$ more you save than buying 42070)

Spoiler

I like the fact they used tracks in a way. Cause it is something new

On 19 July, 2017 at 6:34 AM, BrickbyBrickTechnic said:

Awesome review as always Sariel! The suspension is really intricate. Anyone who's reading this, 42054 or 42069? Which is better?

Both!! 

Where are you going to (or where did you) post your written review for this Jim?

I really think that if you added this to the 42070 and made a combined model it would be epic.

Spoiler

This is my 18th post. World record! :blush:

Edited by Chase Rosipayla

Just now, Chase Rosipayla said:

Where are you going to (or where did you) post your written review for this Jim?

Still working on the write-up. I have had a busy week, so I couldn't find time to finish it earlier. I can tell you that 4 kids in the age of 4-6 have just been playing with it the entire night. So it definitely scored high on playability. Higher than I expected.

3 minutes ago, Jim said:

Still working on the write-up. I have had a busy week, so I couldn't find time to finish it earlier. I can tell you that 4 kids in the age of 4-6 have just been playing with it the entire night. So it definitely scored high on playability. Higher than I expected.

Me=:grin: My wallet=:sick:

Bags with no numbers is a pro rather than a con for me, back to proper Lego building.:classic: Maybe just Maybe Lego is starting to see the light. What's the rush anyway Sariel its not like you have a review to post. :wink: Is it not the build process the part of the experience we all love the best anyway and hunting down that part we are looking for because it must be there because Lego never misses a part only adds to it.:laugh:

Thanks for yet another good review as well Sariel, the time and effort you put in is clear to see and much appreciated. 

10 hours ago, Burko-uk said:

Odd doors, possibly borrowed from the Range Stormer Concept (what became the Range Rover Sport)

Nice observation! I remember that the prototype of 42069 had another headlights construction and it was so Range-Roverish for no licensed model.

Thanks Sariel for the great review. As I saw the lineup for this year first, I thougt I would miss the sets this year...but this set seems worth bying. 

I must say that i didn't had many expectations on this model, and i thought that the 42070 was a better set, but now, after watching the videos of both models, i admit that i am really impressed with this one, in terms of functions, number of parts and modding possibilities, the 42069 is a pretty nice set, i really like how much it steers and the design of the tracks, and the elevated roof, the doors and the winch make it even better, i am sure this is a well-worth set for mods, thanks for the review Sariel.