Mads824a

Lego 9v Wireless

Hello Everyone!

I'm fairly new to this. So i would like to know how if it's possible to run 9v wireless or just hide the wires? What do you guys do?

Thanks! 

Hi there,

welcome to TrainTech!

It is hard to tell what you mean: 9V trains = 9V metal rails + 9V train motor? Or is it 9V train motor on RC/PF plastic rails? Or is it 9V trains controlled wirelessly on 9V metal rails? Or ... other things you have in mind?

Once that becomes clear there will be a much clear reply.

Best
Thorsten

51 minutes ago, Toastie said:

Hi there,

welcome to TrainTech!

It is hard to tell what you mean: 9V trains = 9V metal rails + 9V train motor? Or is it 9V train motor on RC/PF plastic rails? Or is it 9V trains controlled wirelessly on 9V metal rails? Or ... other things you have in mind?

Once that becomes clear there will be a much clear reply.

Best
Thorsten

Great logical approach professor :laugh:

I suppose he means 9v train controlled wireless on metal rails...

LT - I know - forgive me - I am always confused ...

Now in that case: See post currently below your post, Mads824a.:sweet:

Best,
Thorsten

have a look at this.  You will need to use a LEGO 9V wire (or the PF wire with the 9V connector) to wire the control board to pull in the 9V power.  I plan on tinkering with this product in the near future.

Sal

WFB, WI

Good evening Sal,

I believe you mean a modified 9V train motor for power pickup, right? That one feeds your remote control gadget which in turn operates the motor, correct? Very nice find! $80 is not that cheap, but you have one remote for each train. And it appears to be RF not IR. Sounds all good to me.

I am doing the same thing with all LEGO elements but the RF bit. When you modify the 9V motor, you can go almost "all LEGO".

But as said before: That is really up to everyone!

Thanks a lot for sharing!

Best
Thorsten

2 hours ago, Toastie said:

Good evening Sal,

I believe you mean a modified 9V train motor for power pickup, right? That one feeds your remote control gadget which in turn operates the motor, correct? Very nice find! $80 is not that cheap, but you have one remote for each train. And it appears to be RF not IR. Sounds all good to me.

I am doing the same thing with all LEGO elements but the RF bit. When you modify the 9V motor, you can go almost "all LEGO".

But as said before: That is really up to everyone!

Thanks a lot for sharing!

Best
Thorsten

Yes, you are correct, you would need to separate the motor wiring from the track pickup in the 9V motor (there are videos and instructions on this elsewhere.  $80 is a bit expensive, but it comes with sound, allows you to control multiple lighting effects, and again allows you to run multiple trains with any power source.  Some of these features are not possible with LEGO, and it is much smaller than the current PF parts.  I plan to install mine into a battery powered locomotive and will post more about it when I do.

Sal
WFB, WI

That's an interesting alternative system. I'm guessing that each remote is paired to an individual chip, so for two trains you'd need two remotes.

I suppose the same control functionality could be had using an SBrick also. Simply connect the power pick-ups to the power input on the bottom of the SBrick and you're off and running. While you wouldn't get any sound from the SBrick you could control up to 16 individual trains from within one profile. And individual SBricks are currently selling for $59 at the moment, so there's a saving to be had too.