leeCTA

[MOC] [UCS] Kylo Ren's Command Shuttle

Finished my MOC of Kylo Ren's command shuttle. It came in at over 1600 pieces. Excuse the 'fisheye' lens that slightly skews the proportions of the full-frame shots. This was the only lens I had that can keep it all in frame and still be close to see detail. The span between the wings is about 3-1/2 ft. More photos here: https://flic.kr/s/aHsm4BEDaY

KR-shuttle UCS.jpg

Great job on the wings. I love the amount of greebling and random detail on the top of the cockpit and troop bay. Next time, though, try to post pictures from more angles, like the back and maybe the sides.

Great job!  You captured the shape of the main body more accurately than Lego.  Your's is more elongated and resembles the movie version well.  I MODDED Lego's version by turning it all black, adding the red view port and the hinges to the wings so they can fold down.  I retained the "retracting" function of the wings as well.  In the Lego version the studs are on the "outside" of the wings and the tubes are on the "inside."  Did you reverse this construction or did you design for the studs facing out on both sides?

I saw you post on the Lego Star Wars Collections FB page.  Please post some more pictures here or add a link to your Flickr album.

Edited by mink66

I will set up a flickr site and post more photos for sure. 

Mink66, the wings have opposing plates, so studs on the outside on both sides...

Here's a link to some more photo on Flickr...

https://flic.kr/s/aHsm4BEDaY

8 hours ago, GrahamSlam said:

Great job on the wings. I love the amount of greebling and random detail on the top of the cockpit and troop bay. Next time, though, try to post pictures from more angles, like the back and maybe the sides.

Just added some photos to flickr...https://flic.kr/s/aHsm4BEDaY

Great job!!

Do the wings move or are they built to stay in one place?? What did you use to build these? Lots of hinges or Technic liftarms?

Thanks, Jamie

2 minutes ago, jamie75 said:

Great job!!

Do the wings move or are they built to stay in one place?? What did you use to build these? Lots of hinges or Technic liftarms?

Thanks, Jamie

Hi Jamie. So, it's a bit complicated :-). The easy part is the wing attachment to the body. They are attached using 3 sets of rotation joint disk / 3 pin arms. They attach to the body with 2, 7-axles. Thus, the wings do move from the angled to the upright position. The wing itself does not fold. I can do it, but it requires that I take off the upper portion and just re-attach it in the 'landed mode'. The wing construction, a bit more complicated :-), uses technic bricks for the frame and then to make both sides (plates over the frame) with the studs out, I placed lots of 1/2 technic pins in the holes of the technic bricks (as well as strategically placed standard bricks between the frame). Sorry if this doesn't seem to make sense, but contact me and I can send photos of the exposed wing frame...

Well done sir.  This is as good a moc of Kylo's shuttle as I have seen.

Hello!

Awesome build, I have wanted to see one of these for a while, the attention to detail and greebling is fantastic!

Kind regards, Ellis.

3 hours ago, Ellisss_2 said:

Hello!

Awesome build, I have wanted to see one of these for a while, the attention to detail and greebling is fantastic!

Kind regards, Ellis.

Thanks!

7 hours ago, Smack said:

Well done sir.  This is as good a moc of Kylo's shuttle as I have seen.

Thank you! It's my favorite ship even more so than the falcon, and I know I might be pressing my luck given your profile pic is Han when he was at his best/worst :-)...

19 hours ago, leeCTA said:

Thanks!

Thank you! It's my favorite ship even more so than the falcon, and I know I might be pressing my luck given your profile pic is Han when he was at his best/worst :-)...

Han Solo was always at his best! :wink:  Also, to each his/her own.  To be honest, the first time you see Kylo's shuttle in The Force Awakens is pretty epic.

On 7/18/2017 at 7:40 PM, leeCTA said:

Hi Jamie. So, it's a bit complicated :-). The easy part is the wing attachment to the body. They are attached using 3 sets of rotation joint disk / 3 pin arms. They attach to the body with 2, 7-axles. Thus, the wings do move from the angled to the upright position. The wing itself does not fold. I can do it, but it requires that I take off the upper portion and just re-attach it in the 'landed mode'. The wing construction, a bit more complicated :-), uses technic bricks for the frame and then to make both sides (plates over the frame) with the studs out, I placed lots of 1/2 technic pins in the holes of the technic bricks (as well as strategically placed standard bricks between the frame). Sorry if this doesn't seem to make sense, but contact me and I can send photos of the exposed wing frame...

I figured you started with the idea to use those Technic joints, but, wasn't sure how well they held. For the weight of the wing, you would probably need about 6 per side, maybe 8.

Using Technic liftarms, like 32348 or 6629 may be a better idea with the weight of the wings, but, then they would be static.

Thanks for reply, Jamie

11 hours ago, jamie75 said:

I figured you started with the idea to use those Technic joints, but, wasn't sure how well they held. For the weight of the wing, you would probably need about 6 per side, maybe 8.

Using Technic liftarms, like 32348 or 6629 may be a better idea with the weight of the wings, but, then they would be static.

Thanks for reply, Jamie

Yup. You're right, I did think about using the bent liftarms to ensure stability, but in the end, the rotating joints (I use three for each arm) worked mainly because the bottom part of the wing rests along the lower edge of the body. This acts as a 'stopper' so the liftarms really just hold it close to the body as opposed to actually supporting the full weight in the angled position. I had to play with the space between wings and body to capture the correct angle. In the end, I removed the plates along the lower edge of the wing so that there was extra space to allow the wing to angle lower. The wings are not as heavy as you might think though. This was something I also thought about when I designed the frame. But the fact that it rests against the body makes all the difference :-). I can send a photo if I am not explaining myself too well...

Edited by leeCTA

Just checked you Flickr and nothing new? Same 5 pics as before. 

As long as you are adding pics, maybe add a few of the wing up and hinges if possible. I know I said I got the idea, but, why not!!:)

Jamie

2 hours ago, jamie75 said:

Just checked you Flickr and nothing new? Same 5 pics as before. 

As long as you are adding pics, maybe add a few of the wing up and hinges if possible. I know I said I got the idea, but, why not!!:)

Jamie

Hi Jamie,

That's strange I wonder why. Can you check it again? I just did and it shows 10 photos (5 new ones). I also added a photo with the hatch open that gives a good view of the hinge assembly. The one photo I haven't taken yet is the wings in the upright position. I'll try and snap one tomorrow (I have to take it off of it's mount on the wall and it can be a bit tricky :-)...

6 hours ago, jamie75 said:

Still only 5.

My bad, I'm new to flickr and didn't realize that the new photos defaulted to private. I just made them all public so you should be able to see them...

Hello, 

just wondering if you made an instruction manual or a LDD file for it? Please get back to me whenever you can. 

4 hours ago, HopsonMatt said:

Hello, 

just wondering if you made an instruction manual or a LDD file for it? Please get back to me whenever you can. 

I'm afraid not. Many other things got in the way :-). But, I will be doing a larger version with instructions (I hope) early next year.