bjorn77

Cars compatible with Modular Buildings?

Hi, I just recently got around to build Brick City Depot's modular consulate, and I'm thinking I need a fitting car. I did a modified version of the 60058 SUV in all black, but it turned out way too big. To even pass through the gate, the car can be at most six studs wide. I also want it to match the fire truck and limo from the official sets, in size and somewhat in style too.

I'll gladly take any suggestions anyone may have.

36000499545_81b54fd9cc_h.jpgIMG_0543 by Björn Wessman, on Flickr

35829786192_cb3929b82f_h.jpgIMG_0545 by Björn Wessman, on Flickr

looking at the parking spots you can only built cars 5 studs wide and 8 studs long.

with those dimensions only the old style lego system cars are compatible.

not bigger than this (8x4)
6506-1.jpg

Next to modular buildings this would look stupid and so you might consider making the parking spots larger.

1 hour ago, SollX said:

looking at the parking spots you can only built cars 5 studs wide and 8 studs long.

with those dimensions only the old style lego system cars are compatible.

not bigger than this (8x4)

Next to modular buildings this would look stupid and so you might consider making the parking spots larger.

Yep, I can change so that it's only one spot. But the SUV I built is still too big, and slightly too modern looking.

A total width of 6 studs for the car is fine, but the wheel caps cannot extend outside the cars' body, or it won't fit through the gate (which I don't want to redesign). It should also be a "formal" looking car that fits with the idea of a consulate. I just need some inspiration. :)

Edited by bjorn77

I thought of something like the 40083 Pick Up truck from 2013 as seen here. Should be easy enough to modify to suit your style :-)

PS Not sure how to post an actual image of the truck at short notice, so the link will have to suffice for now...

On July 18, 2017 at 5:43 AM, SollX said:

Hahaha, that thing looks like such garbage compared to what Lego makes now. Great example of how far Lego has come.

The current 6-wide City vehicles match pretty well with the modular building scale, redesigning vehicles for one modified set's parking lot is a weird way to solve an uncommon problem. Personally would just return it to the original 10224 since its much better that way. Can't believe that person has made almost $2,000 selling those consulate instructions.

4 hours ago, koalayummies said:

Hahaha, that thing looks like such garbage compared to what Lego makes now. Great example of how far Lego has come.

The current 6-wide City vehicles match pretty well with the modular building scale, redesigning vehicles for one modified set's parking lot is a weird way to solve an uncommon problem. Personally would just return it to the original 10224 since its much better that way. Can't believe that person has made almost $2,000 selling those consulate instructions.

To be honest, I nerver liked the Town Hall very much. It's too boxy and tall. It doesn't fit well with the rest of the buildings. I think It should stand by itself in conjunction to a square.

I might rebuild it someday, my son loves the elevator play feature, but for now the consulate looks better.

I think I will try with a four stud wide sports car, perhaps a convertible. Something similar to those in 60132 or 60119. If that doesn't turn out well, I'll try six studs, but something smaller than the SUV.

On 2017-07-18 at 7:59 PM, m_dejong_lr said:

I thought of something like the 40083 Pick Up truck from 2013 as seen here. Should be easy enough to modify to suit your style :-)

PS Not sure how to post an actual image of the truck at short notice, so the link will have to suffice for now...

That truck matches the fire truck an limo in style, but I want something a little more classy for a consulate. But perhaps I could use it as a base for something else. Thanks for the suggestion.

Funny, i once did a thread here "cars for modular" cause i felt the same way about cars not meeting scale or expert creator "building standards" - Since then i've come a long way i believe.
To summarize i found 1/43 the best scale (for all types of vehicles), since its based on a minifig height of 175 cm average human height (according to wikipedia).
In my opinions its wrong  troublesome  to assume minifigs as "short" people and therefore basing Car scales on their width - it will always result in extremly large cars...:grin:
I also further calculated that the classic bicycle mould is 1/43 , aswell are standard windows and the smaller doors used in modulars. A good scale then...

So SollX is not far off mentioning that old police cab, its actually more accurate and fitting in scale than any of the new City Cars or Speed Champions - it will make the modulars look "bigger" (or correct?) if the cars are "smaller" as they naturally should be (i mean, a suv as high as a whole floor? A Porsche 911 above the minfigs height?)
Back in a day TLG had 1/43 and even smaller because it suits figs and houses better - only problem for them was that you couldnt get the details done in 4 wide with chuncky bricks, 5 wide was too odd to build so 6 wide became the standard and has increased in scale ever since (Speed champions does kinda ruin the proportions, also the new motorbike moulds are a shame to compensate their scale change...the old ones were absolutely correct!:hmpf_bad:.)

Using 1/43 is also quite easy

3 Studs = 1m (Sportscar height)
6 studs = 2m (sportscar width)
5 studs = 1,70 m (Standard car width)
7 wide = Truck
8 wide = Train

So, the only issue to encounter is that fitting figs is rather a downer in 1/43 :sceptic:- but i dont play legos, so i dont need figs inside to have it "realistic" - If you leave em out of their cars, its possible to get some minor details done.

Also check my flickr stream for more of these if you like - or read some math and ideas in the olde' thread i once did (be advised, i updated that scale to a better fit, but i think its a nice readup of thoughts from all sort of builders concerning that modulars + cars issue, maybe it helps!) Here a few humble examples:

33468010342_4a21b612ce_z.jpgFord Mustang V2 by Ron Dayes, auf Flickr

31747304004_17a4c1dfbd_z.jpgDiablo with fig by Ron Dayes, auf Flickr

29807093886_946c552c6d_z.jpgBMW E 30 Cabrio update by Ron Dayes, auf Flickr

29282180330_3ce0b242f3_z.jpgT3 V3 front view.lxf by Ron Dayes, auf Flickr

Here using only old 80ies bricks

28610627443_d528a47af8_z.jpgTravelling back in Time! by Ron Dayes, auf Flickr

Most up to date scale

28012435862_2cc446f40f_z.jpgLambo Aventador vs Ford GT.lxf by Ron Dayes, auf Flickr

32745998493_f212c1bfb8_z.jpgAmerican Cars V.1 by Ron Dayes, auf Flickr

30378361943_f07ccbcaab_z.jpgTown layout by Ron Dayes, auf Flickr

Some Motorbikes

21527635651_aaa7149191_z.jpgKawasaki Ninja Chase scene by Ron Dayes, auf Flickr

24480118290_84604ec895_z.jpgbicycle vs motorbike by Ron Dayes, auf Flickr

Height relevance

29370191230_32e48d0ff7_z.jpgthe math and the height! by Ron Dayes, auf Flickr

Hello, I finally figured I'd chime in. I only have one thing to say, have fun with it! :laugh: Do what looks good to you, throw the rules out the window. But in all seriousness, LEGO minifigures aren't human, they don't bend, sit, or share proportions with us. With that in mind, worry more about looks, details, and structure over scale and rules. I personally have been build a small fleet of custom 6-wide LEGO City styled vehicles and I find that the look great next to the modular buildings. However, if you are worried about scale and whatever, ignore what I just said and do what looks great for you. In the case of your parking lot, I would suggest lengthening it like Sollx said. Maybe use some 8x16 baseplates to widen the lot to fit real vehicles. As for inspiration for a consulate vehicle moc maybe use some BMW M3 or M5 with some Kia Stinger mixed in. If your looking for a pre-designed vehicle though, maybe shorten the limo from 60102 into a 4 door styled sedan or maybe use some of the 6-wide police cars from 2017 police line as inspiration for some mocs. 

Have fun building and I hope I helped.

rechecking your black SUV - perhaps just try smaller wheels, then it should also fit through and look more like a "realistic" car?

I guess the most effective way would be the following:

• widen the passage by fixing the gate at the other side, maybe even behind the shack, thus you get a width of 8 studs for a car to pass through - which you need in any case since something (and be it the handles on the doors) will stick out (unless you don't want to go 5-wide)
  • narrow the car by using smaller wheels (as Ron has already suggested), the car will get a much more decent look by doing so and fit better to the other "modular vehicles" (you may use the same wheels as on the fire truck)
  • to set the car down further you could use the windscreen https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=58181#T=C with plates underneath, like in set https://brickset.com/sets/6867-1/Loki-s-Cosmic-Cube-Escape which looks quite nice in my opinion
  • finally (but that's just an option) you could lenghten the car (which now rather looks like a 2-seater) by using another 4 x 6 x 2/3 wedge at the roof (or even keep the whole roof flat by using tiles) - of course you need a chauffeur then who polishes the black armored beauty all day long ... :wink: However, the janitor will be delighted to have someone to talk to, I guess.

Thanks for all suggestions everybody. I've got loads of options to try now. Really appreciate it!

3 hours ago, LegoSjaak said:

They also match pretty well as could be seen in this weeks Car-Show...

Indeed, in detail they match very well - not so in scale however - this wouldnt really make bjorns SUV smaller as he was suggesting it being too big. The SC is even larger (in length).