Hi all,

A little presentation of my LEGO Forwarder named XXL for obvious reasons :) It has been a project in my spare time for some years now and still not finished (probably never will be...)

Most basic facts:
Weight: 6,7 kilograms
Dimensions: 95xx36x50 studs
Drive: 8 XL motors + hub reduction
Steering: Forced by controlling front left with rear right and the other way around (because of the weight in combination with the huge friction from the wheels)
Wheels: From 8466 (4x4 Offroader)

skotis.jpg

Some vids from Youtube:

Feel free to comment or ask questions, I´ll try to answer them :)

Edited by morson1

Very nice, I don't think I've watched a video with such an unusual title as the middle one... :laugh:

How much weight can the crane cope with? I see you've used the double-LA trick, how well does it work for said heavy loads? Also, have you considered adding a little detail to the interior of the cab? I can see there is mainly PF stuff in there, but the top half of some seats and levers, steering wheel etc could be added.

Beautiful machine :devil: The perfomance is truly amazing , what gear ratio is the hub reduction?

1 hour ago, ColletArrow said:

How much weight can the crane cope with? I see you've used the double-LA trick, how well does it work for said heavy loads? Also, have you considered adding a little detail to the interior of the cab? I can see there is mainly PF stuff in there, but the top half of some seats and levers, steering wheel etc could be added.

My main goal was to build a powerfull machine drive-wise, and that it should be able to load a log but not much more than that. As the boom is around 50 cm long and quite thin to not look bulky, you can imagine the forces on the parts if I'd try to lift something "heavy". But actually I've never tested it's full capacity. Now the machine has been stuffed away several months with empty batteries, I'll try to get my hands on some new ones and make some more vids.

I was quite happy when I came up with the double LA trick. I'm sure many others also done that, but I didn't find the idea somewhere, it just suddenly popped in my head. ? But it took alot of trial and error before I got it to work and stay together.

About the cab, as you've already pointed out, it's full of PF stuff, and they already work really bad in daylight so they need all line of sight they can get... So right now there will be no more details in the cab. I've had plans on lights however, but that is just plans this far.

1 hour ago, LXF said:

Beautiful machine :devil: The perfomance is truly amazing , what gear ratio is the hub reduction?

Ehm, math is not my ballpark, but the XL motor is mounted straight into a large turntable (which forms the rim), motor has 8 tooth gear, you do the math ?

Edited by morson1

22 minutes ago, morson1 said:

Ehm, math is not my ballpark, but the XL motor is mounted straight into a large turntable (which forms the rim), motor has 8 tooth gear, you do the math ?

I assume you used the inner teeth of the turntable, giving it a 1:3 gear reduction, or if you used a planetary solution , a 1:4. 

I recommend this: http://gears.sariel.pl/ :classic:

53 minutes ago, LXF said:

I assume you used the inner teeth of the turntable, giving it a 1:3 gear reduction, or if you used a planetary solution , a 1:4. 

I recommend this: http://gears.sariel.pl/ :classic:

Yes it's planetary, so 1:4 then ?

With each video I am more impressed with it , great work :thumbup:

Another vid (I thought I accidentaly deleted this video file but found it yesterday, shot at same day as other two videos). Enjoy!

Okey, some help would be appreciated. Yesterday I tested the Forwarder with some serious load, and the rear motors cuts off very easy. Where is likely my problem? The setup for each pair of wheels is: 1 battery box ----> 1 V2 receiver ----> 2 XL motors (connected together at one of the receivers outputs). Which is the weakest link with this type of setup, the battery box or the receiver? Would it likely help me to run 1 battery box and 1 V2 on every XL motor separate (at least at the 4 rear Wheels)? I need more POWER :devil:

The problems starts @3:00 in this video, the rear wheels won´t move, and there is no way the front wheels can move can move that piece anywhere by themself, especially with rear wheels locked...

Edited by morson1

1 hour ago, morson1 said:

Would it likely help me to run 1 battery box and 1 V2 on every XL motor separate (at least at the 4 rear Wheels)? 

This is the approach I would take, and if it doesn't work, I would gear down the motors even further than the 1:4 reduction you currently have. It will slow down the truck but may actually let the wheels turn.  

Any suggestions of theme for new movie(s)? Improving the creature on various points right now, but soon it will be ready for new challenges. But I have no great ideas... ?

Awesome model, it performs really well. Also the tracks look a lot better than  just the wheels.

You've certainly pushed your LEGO waaayyy further than what I personally would be comfortable with, especially with the dirt and water *huh*

pretty amazing it survived!

Just now, Sjoemie himself said:

Awesome model, it performs really well. Also the tracks look a lot better than  just the wheels.

You've certainly pushed your LEGO waaayyy further than what I personally would be comfortable with, especially with the dirt and water *huh*

pretty amazing it survived!

Well, I like to try limits ? and when I build something I want it to be as close to perfect as possible, so I have to torture it to see if I have done a good job ? now I know that the turntables are the dealbreakers load-wise, and I can't change them, they are what they are. When they separated in the video the total weight was almost 13 kilos, and going uphill most of the load was at rear wheels. Add to those conditions that the tracs have quite high tension, so there's great force on the turntables from the tracs alone. A little rough terrain on that and they separate, sadly ? So if the machine gets going again, I'll have to come up with a movie theme that doesn't involve any load ?

The tracs are now in the bathtub, I haven't dared to have a look att the wheels and hub reductions yet, but probably I will have to disassemble it all once again. I assume many parts are toast ?

Hi,

I really like the tracks you build for your forwarder. 

Edited by Pat-Ard

5 hours ago, Pat-Ard said:

Hi,

I really like the tracks you build for your forwarder. 

Thanks! It acyually took me some YEARS :blush: to come up with a design that fitted the powerpuller tyres and was strong enough for the task...

However, a new video today! There will be another one in the next few days, however not this dramatic, but then my wallet needs to rest a while before next video can take place.

It is a very nice project!

Can you do more mud bogging? 

Perhaps at a different location :)

Edited by MattL600

More mud is not an option. When inspecting the mess after that movie, I noticed that in the bottom of the XL motors there is a hole right into the electronics... *huh* I wasn't aware of that when driving into the mud, so it was pure luck that the motors survived. I can't seal of that hole without reducing ground clearence, which has high priority. Also, the wet mud almost destroyed my $250 tracs, it had penetrated into them in every possible way, they were extremly stiff when I got home.

More suggestions? :wink:

18 hours ago, morson1 said:

Thanks! It acyually took me some YEARS :blush: to come up with a design that fitted the powerpuller tyres and was strong enough for the task...

How many parts of each did you need for building of one set of tracks?

I'd really rebuild them. I think they could also fit my Skidder:

33066815906_43009dd050_c.jpgWF trac 6x6S by Pat Ard, auf Flickr

atm the Skidder has the Xerion tires on the rear axles...