BrickbyBrickTechnic

[MOC] Airport Caterng truck, 42043 C model!(LEGO IDEAS AND REBRICKABLE INSTRUCTIONS)

Behold, my latest MOC! The airport catering truck!

This is attempt 3 for this MOC. I had 2 ideas before which I tried, but both were abysmal and failed. One was a car transport truck, but the gearbox was messy and there were no good functions I could make with the pieces from 42043. The second was a revival of 8868, but that turned out even worse as different parts of the truck were on different scales altogether. Finally, I scrapped it and decided to start fresh. Thus, this project was built.

If you're wondering why there's paper on the side of the container, it's due to the lack of panels in the 42043 set (I would have needed at least 14 more to coat both sides of the container, but then it wouldn't be an alternate model). On the other hand, now there's a logo! It's the logo for the LSG Sky Chefs, a company that makes airplane food.

The hardest part of this project was getting the gearbox not to slip for the pump and drive function. Early on in the build, I didn't realize it, but the lack of reinforcement came to haunt me towards the end. As a result, the side panels are crude, but they keep the gearbox together, just barely. Until the very end of the project (when I added some backbone to the truck), the entire vehicle shook when the pump was activated.

So the model had and still has some faults, but in the end, the build was worth it and I believe the model looks good and works well.

Feel free to leave your thoughts, I would love to hear them. Pictures and video below.

IMG_2331IMG_2332IMG_2338

The model is 1 42054 long and 1 42054 high.

IMG_2341IMG_2337

Thanks for reading/watching and I hope you enjoy!

BrickbyBricktechnic

Edited by BrickbyBrickTechnic

I start with the bad: I see no reason to start a new topic for the finished MOC.

Now to the good: I love this MOC, complex, interesting, nicely shaped. Great job! :thumbup:

Edit: extra thumb up for the logo. :thumbup:

Edited by agrof

Perhaps it would be good idea to rename previus topic and add this topic first post as some kind of conclusion? Model is very original :thumbup: so it deserves it's own special topic :sweet:

34 minutes ago, I_Igor said:

Perhaps it would be good idea to rename previus topic and add this topic first post as some kind of conclusion? Model is very original :thumbup: so it deserves it's own special topic :sweet:

Thanks for the idea @I_Igor I will do that.

Very cool functionality, especially with the piece limitations. The raising/lowering mechanism is really well done.

3 hours ago, starx said:

Very cool functionality, especially with the piece limitations. The raising/lowering mechanism is really well done.

Thank you so much!

This is a nice and original model, and on top it's a C model, great job. 

The overall design looks good and functions are working well. 

The scissor lift seems to bend a little under stress, but I understand the challenge with limited pieces. 

Do you have a lot of pieces leftover from the original 42043?

This is a great job you've done there.

I'am working on an Airport and the thing that i wanted to spot about your creation is the fact that you capture perfectly the spirit on such material.

This is immediatly recognizable for anyone who is familiar to that Equipment.:thumbup:

7 hours ago, Minique85 said:

This is a nice and original model, and on top it's a C model, great job. 

The overall design looks good and functions are working well. 

The scissor lift seems to bend a little under stress, but I understand the challenge with limited pieces. 

Do you have a lot of pieces leftover from the original 42043?

Thank you! There are around 700 pieces left from the original.

Cool MOC and even cooler that it is a C-Model! Airport vehicles have always fascinated me. You have captured well this utilitarian form. My compliments!

Edited by WvG_853
Correction of typo

5 hours ago, WvG_853 said:

Cool MOC and even cooler that it is a C-Model! Airport vehicles have always fascinated me. You have captured well this utilitarian form. My compliments!

Thanks alot!

you can just see those red beams and the pins holding them together screaming under the load from the pneumatic cylinders ;-)

Quite a nice effort though, and a rare model for Lego, one they could potentially make for real one day.

4 hours ago, paul_delahaye said:

you can just see those red beams and the pins holding them together screaming under the load from the pneumatic cylinders ;-)

Quite a nice effort though, and a rare model for Lego, one they could potentially make for real one day.

First of all, thanks alot! Second, the beams had even started bending at 1 point  *huh* only a bit though so I guess it's alright.

Your C model's for this set kept getting better and better but this one is just damn good. I would love to see instructions soon. My arocs Is gathering dust.

4 hours ago, Nebulaire said:

Supported !

Great, thanks!

Hey everyone,

Instructions are ready. They are on rebrickable. I know you @Paknaloid had quite an interest in the project, so I thought I'd mention you. Here's the link:

https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-9492/BrickbyBrickTechnic/airport-catering-truck-42043-c-model/

Thank you!

Edited by BrickbyBrickTechnic

Just now, BrickbyBrickTechnic said:

Thank you:classic:

You deserve it. I'm thinking of buying another Arocs just to build your model

Edited by I_Igor

1 hour ago, I_Igor said:

You deserve it. I'm thinking of buying another Arocs just to build your model

Really? Wow! It's a simply amazing set, so don't buy it just to build this... you'll get a lot more out of it than you think as I did:classic:

13 hours ago, BrickbyBrickTechnic said:

Really? Wow! It's a simply amazing set, so don't buy it just to build this... you'll get a lot more out of it than you think as I did:classic:

I have one assembled and it is huge, btw my Unimog is half a snack in size compared to Arocs, but if financial situation will allow me I'd like another Arocs and another Xerion (at least). Two years ago I wanted to buy another Arocs to make Mercedes Econic airport truck...

What a great alternative model! I always admire builders who are able to build alternative models for such a big sets. I haven't found enough courage to do it yet.