Jim

[MOD] 42070 - 6x6 All Terrain Tow Truck - Mods and Improvements

If you are really looking to modify this set, the whole crane needs to be rebuilt. For the size of the model, the crane is tiny. What you had before was a decent size, the problem was the second section. 

all people, except of you, seem to think the boom is to fat. for correct proportions, in relation to the tires, everything has to be bigger. So none boom size is correct.

15282224280_2f561a8943_c.jpg

I think you are misunderstanding what I am saying. The modified boom you made is a good size, maybe too square? But the extension part looks skimpy IMO if you beef up the main boom, the extension needs some beefing up as well. 

It is your build, you do what you want. I am just telling you my opinion. 

@efferman I really dont know, it does not look fat, but what I know Unimog tires look better than Xerion tires on this vehicle :thumbup:

Edited by I_Igor

The last two days I have been building a new chassis for the 42070. This chassis will embed 7 PF motors (2 XL for driving) so it can be operated with full RC.

The start of the chassis.

36384497871_6b6f4fb2e4_b.jpg

The two XL motors are placed below in the chassis. They will easily connect to the front and rear wheels. I have ditched the center diff and simply used one XL motor the front and one for the rear wheels.

36125279420_03400c7483_b.jpg

Somewhere in the middle of making the new chassis. I have placed an M motor on each side of the chassis. One is for steering, like in the original. The other is connected to raising/lowering the hook. I switched the steering side btw, so the motor on the driver's side steers the vehicle.

36125279180_85b63866fb_b.jpg

Here's the passenger side.

36353644622_ed0220a61c_b.jpg

Top view of the center.

36125278970_2f65a6a804_b.jpg

I also used 2x 12T gears in the hub, instead of the 8 and 24 combo. This makes the vehicle go a lot faster :sweet:

36353644472_f91644ffae_b.jpg

I have finished implementing the last two motors, but I am pretty sure they will be placed like this. The one on the driver's side is directly connected to the outriggers. The other one will be connected to turntable to rotate the arm.

36125278800_ea8a7ceb67_b.jpg

PS the battery box and IR receiver are not in their final position. The battery box will be inside the cabin, like the original. Placed a little bit higher, but that's not a problem.

Just now, IA creations said:

Looking good! But come on Jim, still pendular suspention :/

Focussing on full RC first. After that I might give the suspension a go. One thing at a time :wink:

Hello, I've been following this fantastic forum for a long time, learned so much from everyone. This is my first Post.

Since I couldn't find a MOD that simply modify 42070 into FULL RC. I decided to do it myself.

here is a very brief video showing it in action.

42070 full rc mod

and I've also made a LDD file. Please go to http://ldd.us.lego.com/en-us/gallery, search "42070". "FULL RC MOD FOR 42070" is the one to download.

Simply import the file into the original 42070 LDD file which you can also download off that website. you will see the overlapping parts and/or additional parts.

I mainly focus on making the set more stable, more firm. and making it FULL RC with minimum replacements.

Looks like Jim is working on something that would totally buff up 42070, cant wait to see it :-D

42070 would be an solid set if it was made Full RC out of box, for its price. I got mine for only $250 CAD. which is a fair price for what it is.

@efferman, I just saw your mods tot his model. I love your improvements to the rear section of the chassis, especially the strengthened frame :thumbup:!

36217778181_0b74c6bf7d_c.jpg

When efferman was asking about the boom size, that is what I was comparing it to. 

IMO, this set should be military based, but I think we all know that LEGO and military don't mix. If we have olive green parts. I'd buy the set and make it a full on military recovery truck. 

Hello,

I am new to the forum and new to the Lego Technic World (Let´s say I had around 20 years break :) )

Your mods are pretty cool, I am getting myself the truck in December, because like LEGO Technic I was Born in 1977, so this will be my birthday present to myself:)

Looking forward to seeing your Projects finished @Jim and @efferman! Both are very inspiring for me!

I want to add a winch to the front of the truck and make it an 8x8 with front and back steering, I might have to buy the set twice XD

Cheers from Germany

Just now, CaptainT said:

Hello,

I am new to the forum and new to the Lego Technic World (Let´s say I had around 20 years break :) )

Your mods are pretty cool, I am getting myself the truck in December, because like LEGO Technic I was Born in 1977, so this will be my birthday present to myself:)

Looking forward to seeing your Projects finished @Jim and @efferman! Both are very inspiring for me!

I want to add a winch to the front of the truck and make it an 8x8 with front and back steering, I might have to buy the set twice XD

Cheers from Germany

Hi CaptainT,

Welcome to EB. Thanks for your trust in my MOD...however....I don't think I will be completing it anytime soon.

As usual (LEGO) life is rapidly throwing new projects at me *cough* MF *cough*. And I still need to complete another review and my report on the LEGO Media Fan Days.

So, I will keep this model built and hopefully I will find some time to finish it.
(I was very happy with the new chassis and motor setup btw)

Just now, Jim said:

Hi CaptainT,

Welcome to EB. Thanks for your trust in my MOD...however....I don't think I will be completing it anytime soon.

As usual (LEGO) life is rapidly throwing new projects at me *cough* MF *cough*. And I still need to complete another review and my report on the LEGO Media Fan Days.

So, I will keep this model built and hopefully I will find some time to finish it.
(I was very happy with the new chassis and motor setup btw)

Hi Jim,

thx for the reply. I am in no hurry as I have to wait 2 months till I can get the set, but I already started the planning:)

I bought Sariels book and right now I am thinking about how to build it up in detail. I am not sure if it will be a MOD or a MOC in the end:)

Your approach on the chassis looks pretty good, I am still not sure whether I´ll head towards 2XL or 4M Motors for the driving. I need to finish till around may next year because I have to tow the Playmobil cars of my child out of the big holes in the garden;), so I think Í´ll take the SBrick route.   

I used two XL motors and I switched the 8/24 combo for 16/16. Quite an improvement in performance. XL provides you with enough torque and the change in gear ratio encreases the topspeed to an acceptable level. 

On 29-7-2017 at 0:51 PM, nick97 said:

Hi all,

As this is a mod topic, I have one for you.
I the pictures you can see the HOG I've made using the second gear on the gearrack.

800x600.jpg800x600.jpg

Replacing the batteries is still possible, you only need to remove the gear.

800x600.jpg800x600.jpg

It took me about 30 minutes to build.
The hardest part was removing the 3L axle with stop and placing a 4L with stop.
And I had the tan gear on the wrong side, so it turns the wrong way.

You are free to use it and/or improve it.

Pardon my stupidity, but What does this do? And is There a partskist?

On 8-9-2017 at 9:01 AM, Jim said:

I used two XL motors and I switched the 8/24 combo for 16/16. Quite an improvement in performance. XL provides you with enough torque and the change in gear ratio encreases the topspeed to an acceptable level. 

Anyway i Can obtain the these modificaties? I have Another XL motor lying around which i would like to put to good use

30 minutes ago, Quota said:

Pardon my stupidity, but What does this do? And is There a partslist?

It turns the steering using a knob, when motors are disconnected.

1 hour ago, Quota said:

I made it to make it possible to steer the vehicle properly when not using the motors.
It makes it a bit more playable for kids, otherwise it may be a bit useless.

3 hours ago, Quota said:

Hi,

Welcome to EB!

When you quote, please remove the images from the quote. You can find the posting etiquette in the site guidelines.

Have fun! 

On 12-8-2017 at 5:16 PM, Jim said:

The last two days I have been building a new chassis for the 42070. This chassis will embed 7 PF motors (2 XL for driving) so it can be operated with full RC.

The start of the chassis.

The two XL motors are placed below in the chassis. They will easily connect to the front and rear wheels. I have ditched the center diff and simply used one XL motor the front and one for the rear wheels.

Somewhere in the middle of making the new chassis. I have placed an M motor on each side of the chassis. One is for steering, like in the original. The other is connected to raising/lowering the hook. I switched the steering side btw, so the motor on the driver's side steers the vehicle.

Here's the passenger side.

Top view of the center.

I also used 2x 12T gears in the hub, instead of the 8 and 24 combo. This makes the vehicle go a lot faster :sweet:

I have finished implementing the last two motors, but I am pretty sure they will be placed like this. The one on the driver's side is directly connected to the outriggers. The other one will be connected to turntable to rotate the arm.

PS the battery box and IR receiver are not in their final position. The battery box will be inside the cabin, like the original. Placed a little bit higher, but that's not a problem.

Question, how do you arrange for the two xl engines to rotate in the opposite direction?