Jim

[REVIEW] 42070 - 6x6 All Terrain Tow Truck

42070 - 6x6 All Terrain Tow Truck - Rating  

211 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this set?

You could add more motors and change the gear ratio inside the portal hubs. Or a more impressive way could be to add a 5 speed gearbox, where 5th is faster (but less capable off road) than the standard truck and 1st gear is much slower to improve its performance off road. Seeing as you have to manually switch functions anyway, manually switching gears prior to driving it remotely wouldn't be so bad.

9 hours ago, konryd said:

I have a question: I just built the model and all the functions are working fine. 

The what?!?! :laugh:

Welcome to EB btw.

Like Alan said, can you post a picture? Sure you mean the wheels?

Maybe the implied question was " I just built the model and all the functions are working fine, what was all the hate about" :laugh:

Just now, Zerobricks said:

Sounds like he forgot to add the inner bearings to the hubs.

Hmmm, that would definitely result in wheels falling off.

Just bought one of these for £95, unwanted Christmas raffle win so bnisb. Very pleased but I don’t know when it’ll get built.

20 hours ago, allanp said:

A picture would be very helpful. Each wheel is supposed to be held on with the three connector pegs that form part of the wheel bearing assembly while the axle with stop is there only to drive the wheel, not actually to hold it on.

Here's a picture of the wheel (+peg+axle) detached and a video of this happening:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/hQKIexAs3oYHzmhg2

12 hours ago, Jim said:

Welcome to EB btw.

Thanks! :)

You need to ensure the part with 3 pins is pushed into the portal unit firmly until it clicks home it needs a bit of force to do this.

Once firmly in place it should then be quite difficult to remove again. if it still comes out then part probably damaged.

Edited by Doug72

Yup, what Jim said about it being what Doug said! The dark grey part needs to click firmly into the light grey portal axle frame. It does not require the 4 long axle with stop to hold it in place, that axle is there only to transmit torque from the 24t gear to the wheel so that it turns.

Listen for the loud click when they are pressed together!

Edited by allanp

27 minutes ago, konryd said:

Thank you Doug, Jim and Allan: this worked beautifully!

Glad it worked.

It's very hard to separate them though. Not that you will actually need to do that.

4 hours ago, Jim said:

Glad it worked.

It's very hard to separate them though. Not that you will actually need to do that.

Better later than never, this is my review & test of the set. I have to say I was positively surprised after all the reviews. The set has its flaws and there's a ton of things to improve, but I found it fun to drive around and it performed pretty ok for me outdoors as well.

Well, indeed a bit late, but after a loooooong day: entertainment - check! :classic:

I like the dinamism, the music, and the build up of the presentation. Pro work. :thumbup:

I am surprised how nicely your model is driving.
What batteries did you use ? Are they new ?

26 minutes ago, kbalage said:

I used rechargeable batteries from IKEA. 

O_o

As some may know I designed many MOCs myself and I do buy Technic sets once in a while just to experience what TLC is up to. Having this model almost 1 year @home, I finally opened the box last week to build it. The main reason to start that late was due a certain degree of disappointment ‘out there on the internet’, making me feel that this set was ‘not that interesting to build’ or ‘you may become disappointed in its performance’ when it is ready.

However, I have to admit that I was honestly surprised by its performance and really enjoyed the build. The chassis is nicely designed and interlocked and provide new Technic Builders a good view on how to do this in your own MOCs. Figuring out how each axle of the gear-box will end-up in its final function is fun and educative either!
For me, Technic is all about functions, and HOW these functions do work without malfunctions; even after a couple of ‘hours’ operating. This model does the job without compromises. I have this seen otherwise in official sets the last decade.

Of course aesthetics’ / appearance are important elements as well, but comes in my view always 2nd compared to Technics (otherwise it would have been CREATOR). Overall the model looks impressive and good and has some nice details I really like: the color-scheme that turns out to be much better in real-life, the chains, the bear, and the wheel arches. One can argue that this is all relatively simple, but sometimes less is more. I think it is okay.

I recommend this model to everyone who gets their hands on it against a reasonable price (yes, I do agree the set is overpriced). You will get a model that is nice looking, does the job and has the ability to explain to kids (!) how (central) differentials work, gearboxes, LA’s, steering, fake engines as these functions are visible in its operations. For this, it is handy that the truck lacks a loading floor. I know one find this a flaw, but hey, it’s a tow truck, not a cargo truck ;-)
And, your kids will love it as the inituative way of operating the truck is logical.

Final word: It is not my intension to adjust people’s view on this set or to start an ‘agree/disagree’ discussion. I think Jim already captured all aspects of the set (pro & con) very well in his review (thanks for the review!!)

But it the end, I think the set deserves a little more positive approach as well! I would say: Above average if I ignore the price.

PS: Something totally different on the BI. Why do the 2 3L blue pins have an ‘offset’ of 1 hole on step 388, and 2 holes on step 396? When I create CAD/CAM files in MLcad, I just mirror the symmetrical builds. Seams TLC does not. And why is there no 2L black pin being pushed into the grey pin-connector in step 525, to be connected to the modular build in step 538? Probably forgotten or to save 1 pin J

Edited by designer-han

:thumbup:

This is indeed an enjoyable set. And cool to MOD into full RC. The MSRP was a issue, but it’s quite affordable now.

28 minutes ago, Jim said:

:thumbup:

This is indeed an enjoyable set. And cool to MOD into full RC. The MSRP was a issue, but it’s quite affordable now.

I haven't seen it on sale here in the US at all

20 minutes ago, Eaglefan344 said:

I haven't seen it on sale here in the US at all

Agreed.  Watched since its release last year and no significant change from MSRP on any of the big sites:  Amazon, Target, Walmart, Jet.com, and the now defunct TRU.

I found this today, and since it hasn't been shared on EB I think it'd be interesting to some people.

I don't know if 42070 inspired this truck or vice versa, but at least 42070 kinda does exist in real life.

66029799_690304821409459_387741607244442

Edited by Ngoc Nguyen