Jim

[REVIEW] 42070 - 6x6 All Terrain Tow Truck

42070 - 6x6 All Terrain Tow Truck - Rating  

211 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this set?

Ohh there will be blood my friend.

:wink:

It's not so bad, but you will need to remove parts from the sub assemblies, so that you can switch the diff. It's not super easy, but not hard either.

I took the plunge and got the kit when £149. Its enjoyable to build, but I've had to build a flatbed for the rear as it was all missing, and i also made a battery cover which can be lifted off, I also added a few bits here and there such as a better exhaust - made it longer and a few body details to smarten it all up.

End result is a set my daughter loves to play with, and I got to enjoy the build and the challenges to add the missing bits TLG didn't add, £149 is about what the set should maybe have launched at, price wise.

3 minutes ago, iv-tecman said:

I took the plunge and got the kit when £149. Its enjoyable to build, but I've had to build a flatbed for the rear as it was all missing, and i also made a battery cover which can be lifted off, I also added a few bits here and there such as a better exhaust - made it longer and a few body details to smarten it all up.

End result is a set my daughter loves to play with, and I got to enjoy the build and the challenges to add the missing bits TLG didn't add, £149 is about what the set should maybe have launched at, price wise.

If I understand correctly there are parts missing; then you should contact LEGO customer service for replacement of missing parts :wink:

37 minutes ago, I_Igor said:

If I understand correctly there are parts missing; then you should contact LEGO customer service for replacement of missing parts :wink:

sorry no, I mean I had to add them in, like so -

24177851_337704890029919_468859571862398

And I had to make a cover for the battery box etc.. Not the best pic, as that is an in progress pic, but I made it all work in the end. 

Ok, perhaps you can present it in 42070 modifications and improvement topic or was it something like pimp my 42070?

Argos have whacked it back up to £199.99. You'd have to be desperate. Smyth's are now the cheapest, still at £169.99. Still too high for me, and they haven't shifted A ONE. TRU have it at the same price. And TLG still have it at - you know what, I'm not even going to type it.

I just don't get how TLG think this sort of pricing is acceptable. I know we've been there already, but it's ridiculous. There is just no way this set should cost so much. No. Freakin'. Way. I only hope TLG have hiked it up for the holidays, because if they don't drop it back down in the new year, it just won't sell.

Edited by Maaboo35

I bought this set recently when it dropped to £140, which seemed someone reasonable (compared to the RRP anyway)

This set was a first for me in two ways; this is the first flagship set I've ever owned and it was first time I've bought Lego for myself in years (my partner often buys me a small Technic set for xmas or birthdays).

I enjoyed the building it very much. I made a few errors along the way, the first rear diff I mounted the wrong way and only caught when I thought I'd test it out (glad I didn't wait to finish before doing that), and then I managed to do the same again, luckily I clocked this before I'd finished making that assembly. I also somehow managed to miss the gear that drives the cranes rotation and when I went to put it back, a bevel fell out. 

The build took me much longer than I expected as I didn't really have much space to work with and was working out of the bags (a terrible idea), so 2/3rds of my time was probably spent looking for tiny pieces. I plan on buying some divider boxes before I dismantle/rebuild/buy a new set.

I've learnt some building techniques as there was a lot of parts that I haven't seen before (I probably had less than 1000 pieces before this). 

Most importantly though, this kit has given me the bug, and has left me wanting to build more and more (particularly cars and trucks) and I've been finding myself looking at brinklink, looking at individual components that I'd like (mostly suspension and steering bits).

I can understand why long-time and advanced Technic fans aren't delighted with this kit. The rear beam suspension is very unsophisticated, the front has no suspension, the model itself isn't very good off-road, and the RRP is frankly outrageous. But at the lowered price, it's a good set for a newbie like me. It introduces a few things that are new to myself such as building a gearbox and using linear actuators and it's given me a thousand or so extra pieces to work with in future.

I've just got decide what kit to get next (suggestions appreciated)

Just now, OGTrout said:

I've just got decide what kit to get next (suggestions appreciated)

Hi. Welcome to EB.

Glad you enjoyed the build. And funny to see you made the same mistake I made, although I still blame my co-builder....oh and the beers.

Which set next is mostly a personal matter. I would recommend looking for an Arocs, while you can. Technically very sophisticated. You won't get a better build than that. Well, maybe the Claas too.

Extreme Adventure vehicle pleasantly surprised me, in a way, I can't quite grasp. The usual functions are just average... but the tiny working details are so cleverly designed it's a joy to build (those doors!). A lot of very genius ways of implementing classic things that ain't all that special, like a winch. You can feel this has been designed by a proper AFOL and it just feels different compared to "regular" bigger Technic boxes.

+1 for Claas and Arocs, get the Arocs first cause this one will go first too.

Lego have built a large version of this, 230500 bricks, weight 731 Kgs, Time to build  1660 hours.
See Lego facebook page. 

Note weight shown in video is wrong due to an extra zero !!

Edited by Doug72

Well I've just finished building this set and I was pleasantly surprised by it. After reading so many bad reviews and negative comments about it I was expecting it to be a horrendously bad and it just isn't. 

The price can't be argued with it is to expensive.

The unfinished look, I think it looks ok abit more of a classic look where you can see the chassis and some if the mechanics through the open rear section.

The performance issues, yes its a bit under powered for its size and some of the functions are abit slow but overall not to bad. 

No set is perfect and if they were there would be no room for a mod thread and let's face it lego is all about your imagination and creativity TLG just lay the groundwork for us to build upon but again I accept the price needs to reflect this.

Anyway these are my personal thoughts and opinions on this set overall I think it's a decent set that has had some harsh reviews.

On 06/12/2017 at 7:19 PM, Trango said:

Extreme Adventure vehicle pleasantly surprised me, in a way, I can't quite grasp. The usual functions are just average... but the tiny working details are so cleverly designed it's a joy to build (those doors!). A lot of very genius ways of implementing classic things that ain't all that special, like a winch. You can feel this has been designed by a proper AFOL and it just feels different compared to "regular" bigger Technic boxes.

+1 for Claas and Arocs, get the Arocs first cause this one will go first too.

Arocs is really getting short in supply for UK buyers, most of the top stores are running low, so if he is to buy any - he should get this one now.

Then Claas - then extreme adventure and yes +1 to Extreme Adventure, I was very surprised by how interesting a build it actually was. And some very clever engineering. 

Those new 3x7 Dog Bone Frames sure are expensive :laugh::wink: 

2 hours ago, Jim said:

It's like the red color is not the cheapest and default Lego color at all!

20 hours ago, Jim said:

I see I posted this in the wrong topic :tongue:

I have a question: I just built the model and all the functions are working fine. The problem I have is that the... wheels fall off after driving for a while. The "axle 4 with end stop (87083)" are pulled from the gears (I think it's the "lego gear with 24 teeth (3648 / 24505)") that hold them in their "Beam Frame with Wheel Bearing Assembly (92908)". I checked the instructions few times but there is nothing to provide additional friction. I'm wondering if it's my floor, a mistake when building or an actual problem in the set. Anyone experienced this?

A picture would be very helpful. Each wheel is supposed to be held on with the three connector pegs that form part of the wheel bearing assembly while the axle with stop is there only to drive the wheel, not actually to hold it on.