Jim

[REVIEW] 42070 - 6x6 All Terrain Tow Truck

42070 - 6x6 All Terrain Tow Truck - Rating  

211 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this set?

I've just finished building the 42070. I've decided to abandon the bandwagon and instead join the @Jimwagon and unabashedly declare that I really like building and looking at this set. And I like the colorful chassis too.

Edited by Ngoc Nguyen

14 hours ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

I've just finished building the 42070. I've decided to abandon the bandwagon and instead join the @Jimwagon and unabashedly declare that I really like building and looking at this set. And I like the colorful chassis too.

I finished one too. Will not join any wagon :-) I think color coding of the chassis is totally fine and the so called color vommit is actually really organised. The only thing I don't understand are the orange 2L liftarms (+o). That dark azure looks very nice indeed and it would be really nice to have the whole parts asortment. Overall I like the gearbox the most. I can agree with negative opinion of  the drive train and other visual misfortunes that were outlined by the comunity. Fortunately, I didn't have to pay for it, but I don't get to keep it either. Apart from tires and the new coloured pieces it really didn't make my heart run faster. For every good thing that comes to my mind about it, there is a huge red light blinking above it screaming: TOO EXPENSIVE!!!

P.S.: ...but my kids totaly love it :-)

I am also considering to buy this set but I am also set back by the hefty price tag.

One thing I do not understand though: why does everybody say that it is more expensive than the Volvo (42030)? I have checked prices of this set and Volvo's in several places (including amazon.com and amazon.de) and this set is a little cheaper (around 215 EUR) than the Volvo (225 EUR). Was this set really so expensive before?

So how is the value/price ratio considering the current price?

Edited by Maegoss

The official MSRP:

- 42070: 289.99 USD, 249,99 EUR (in Germany)
- 42030: 249.99 USD, 219.99 EUR (in Germany)

What you saw on amazon.de is a 15% discount on 42070 and a hike in new 42030 as 42030 is already retired.

Edited by Ngoc Nguyen

Just saw that the local supermarkets are all selling this set for 179 EUR in view of Saint Nicolas/Christmas. In one you get an extra 20% if you have a member card, but I will still not buy it. It will be the only flagship set in recent years I will not buy ...

Same here. Migros had it going for 181 Swiss Francs (156 Euro) this week but I just don't think it's worth it - lousy design, lousy assortment of parts.

Got one at a (closing) local toy shop for 185€ which seems fair given the complexity of the gearbox, the tyres and the power functions :-)

(and as it has been pointed by others non-numbered bags kinda sucks, as you can't easily pace yourself without having a dedicated build area)

Edited by charlesw

I've got pretty much every flagship. I've know Lego Technic for its full 40 years of existence. I've got a room with flagships exposed. 

I'm a sucker for off-roaders, big tires, authentic axle design and differentials. 

They had a great opportunity here to build a fantastic 6x6 but the childish color makes it impossible to display. Lack of suspension and diffs justified the don't buy decision (hurting the rainman inside of me).

Cost is too high indeed but if it had a realistic color scheme I would have bought it anyway. Plus you can find them at 20-30% off.

But the color... it's a definite trend since a few years. 

Saw 42070 at Smyths (in the UK) reduced to £149.99, it's still not for me but I thought someone here might like it for that price. Strangely, In both Smyths and Argos the Arocs has actually gone up in price to £179.99! Still worth it! :grin:

20 hours ago, allanp said:

Saw 42070 at Smyths (in the UK) reduced to £149.99, it's still not for me but I thought someone here might like it for that price. Strangely, In both Smyths and Argos the Arocs has actually gone up in price to £179.99! Still worth it! :grin:

£149.99 should have been the original price.

On 09/11/2017 at 12:43 PM, allanp said:

The Acros is the better model even at £179. The 6x6 at £149 - I might, and its a big might actually think about it. 

£139.99 is the current Amazon UK price for 42070.   Seems closer to reasonable.

Christmas present for my kids.  It's too big, too boring, too much ££, but they got really into tow trucks from watching Heavy Rescue. :shrug_oh_well:

The kids will love it. It’s not so bad. Had fun building it and the functions are okay.

The overall build experience is far less enjoyable than the "modular" approach used on the arocs in my opinion. Mecanically, though it has no (spring) suspension nor a complicated crane, it is still very mecanically enjoyable :-)

Very fun review to read Jim, thanks for all your hard work! I am a little in two minds about this set. I also recently viewed the review below (which is in German). And it contained a long list of items that could have been done better with this set. Most of which I agree with. In the end however I am still likely to buy this set because I have to have those rims and tires as well as some other parts for my MOCs. 

Although he is right about most things, especially the model being too expensive for the parts that have gone into this model, I think one thing is being overlooked.. Are we not a little bit spoiled maybe? Are we not expecting things from a children's toy which are not to be expected from a children's toy? 

I mean i'm coming out of my dark ages, when I look back at LEGO technic about 15-20 years ago, and I take a look a what is possible with today's LEGO. That's a huge difference. We've got pneumatics, linear actuators, remote control, servomotors, gearboxes, whole world's of new parts, tires and so on.. All this in what originally was (and I think partially still is) a childs toy. 

Now take a look at any other toy. Have these toys over the years transformed and upgraded in the same way as LEGO has? I think not.. just my two cents

Oh, it's entirely a childrens toy. The usual debate though usually revolves around the question of should it also be made to appeal to adults aswell. The usual analogy I use is to compare movies made for children, such as "UP" made by Pixar and "spy kids 3D" made by whoever. These are both entirely childrens movies, both have MPAA ratings of PG, but there is a real life authenticity to the emotional mechanics of the story behind the Pixar movie "UP" which makes it enjoyable to adults as well as children, thereby making it an overall better product which is also way more successful and will always be remembered as a great movie. Combine that with the knowledge that we know Lego can release awesome sets like the Arocs which appeals to both kids and adults and it makes you wonder why they would release another truck which basically removes the appeal it is to many adults. Like, why would you do that?

Valid point and valid question.. probably a question which has no definitive answer. Might be down to design. Some movies turn out to be a hit and some do not. Same goes for LEGO sets.. 

My point being, I understand that some Technic sets are great, technically interesting and correct, others are not. Which is not awesome but there's really not much we can do about it. No point in being negative about the same model and/or design constantly. 

I took the plunge and got it for my birthday. The wife paid £140 from Amazon, there was no way it was worth £220.

Hi guys. Probably not the rightest topic, but anyway try to ask.

I've finished 42070. But truck can't drive as when put it on a ground front wheels go forward direction, but 2 rear wheels go backwards. Can somebody tell me or at least give idea where should I search for my mistake ?

Thanks in advance.

17 minutes ago, Yaz said:

I've finished 42070. But truck can't drive as when put it on a ground front wheels go forward direction, but 2 rear wheels go backwards. Can somebody tell me or at least give idea where should I search for my mistake ?

Welcome to Eurobricks  :thumbup:

If you have actually read my review, you will already know the answer LoL :tongue: :laugh:

Classic case of incorrectly placed differentials. 

"My buddy had built both live axles. He had built them correctly, but he reversed the second one, resulting in the red liftarms being on the wrong side of the vehicle. I noticed the mistake, but instead of simply turning the second live axle around, I started rebuilding the second live axle. This resulted in both differentials being on the same side. Needless to say, that didn't improve driving performance."

35754833252_fc573848f6_c.jpg

The two rear differentials are placed incorrectly.

That's why TLG used color coding (red side and grey side).

Just now, Jim said:

Welcome to Eurobricks  :thumbup:

If you have actually read my review, you will already know the answer LoL :tongue: :laugh:

Classic case of incorrectly placed differentials. 

"My buddy had built both live axles. He had built them correctly, but he reversed the second one, resulting in the red liftarms being on the wrong side of the vehicle. I noticed the mistake, but instead of simply turning the second live axle around, I started rebuilding the second live axle. This resulted in both differentials being on the same side. Needless to say, that didn't improve driving performance."

The two rear differentials are placed incorrectly.

That's why TLG used color coding (red side and grey side).

Thank you. Will check it intimidate. Do I need to remove a lot of parts to change them. Or it is possible to change with less blood ?