Jim

[REVIEW] 42070 - 6x6 All Terrain Tow Truck

42070 - 6x6 All Terrain Tow Truck - Rating  

211 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this set?

Great review Jim :thumbup: the pictures are amazing! 

Edited by allanp

Great review - the pictures are really incredible, and show off the bright colours superbly.

I don't really mind the colour use internally - many of the recent sets do it, and I can see how it might help those that are perhaps less careful when building. After all, Lego has been doing this for ages, though usually with just black/light + dark bley mostly. I think the chosen colours here are just brighter than usual which kinda works given that it's bright all around. The orange 2L beams are a bit odd though given there's no other orange in use. I like that the colour range is expanding, though ofcourse we'll need a number of other parts to make these colours more useful for MOCs.

The gearbox here is interesting. How is the connection from the switches to the clutch ring made? Is it with a liftarm or via gearing? I think it strikes a reasonable balance between remote control and the switching required, though could see that operating the crane might get tiresome if you need to rotate it. An extra motor for that would make it more playable so that you could completely use the crane from the remote, but I don't see an issue with a separate switch for outriggers and going back to drive mode.

Will unlikely be purchasing this one, but that's OK - plenty of other sets to spend $$ on! (42069 definitely)

Thanks for taking the time to do an excellent review! Can't wait for 42069 :)

Thanks Jim for this great review. Great pictures too.

My opinion about the prize is that it is not proportional to pièces count anymore but directly proportionnal to the final size of the model.

My opinion is that TLC is making big sets accordinc to the idea  ' So big So good'

I think it's sad but they are marketing reason therefor.

This i why IMHO it is important for us to continue building Mocs that show to everyone that it is possible to make more with less parts or less extra size.

Again thanks for your time on this review Jim.

@+

I have corrected the Claas mistake (no PF). Thanks for paying attention :thumbup:

Thanks Jim for the excellent review as always! I like the humor you use to make reviews a more joy to read and of course the wonderful photo's you always make.

About the differencial and de red and grey side of the axle. This set was build by a colleague of mine. It was his fist set since his childhood... When he finished the set and explored all the functions, the chassis twisted up when driving and I told him dat 1 of de diff's is fasing the wrong way. Trying to get the diff out in the finished model was a bit of e challenge, but I did manage to flip the diff in the front axle. Driving the model around is very satisfying, even the cat was very interested in it and try to sneak up on it and I scared 1 of her 9 lifes away when driving towards her... hahaha.

Like you, I didn't like the model that much on seeing the first pictures and video's, but seeing my colleague building it and than playing with it, it grew on me. The colors (dark azur, yellow en red) look wonderful together and the model is very bulky, rough and cool to look at.

I do agree that the back of the model isn't great. The way the outriggers work is a very nice solution, but the crane is way to small. It this was 5x5 studs, it would look much better.

I think that the term Tow Truck is a bit over used. It doesn't have a tow rack to begin with. This is more of a salvage truck with the swinging crane and heave build outriggers. It would be nice to completely redo the back section and make an actual tow rack on it, making it more like the 8462, but with a bigger crane or perhaps even 2 cranes that can swing out to the side.

17 minutes ago, barman said:

Thanks Jim for the excellent review as always!

You are more than welcome. I totally agree with your assessment. And you are indeed right about the Salvage Truck. Like the designers said, this truck is meant to "salvage" the truck that was supposed to get you out of trouble. I'm guessing that the Marketing department likes the term "Tow Truck" better.

Currently, this set get's a score of 5,1 which is the lowest one of my review sets has ever scored.

My plan was to buy all 2017 Technic sets this year, but this one will be a miss, as I don't like the colour scheme, it looks a poor model and from the review I can instantly see its way overpriced for what is a very ugly IMO looking techinc model. Shame. I guess not all sets can be good,

51 minutes ago, nguyengiangoc said:

SO 42070 is like a big bad older brother of the Claas Xerion. Perhaps too bad though...

The Claas Xerion is such a superb technic set, I got two of them, as the set was just so good to build, and is still excellent value for money. 

Thanks for a very informative review, Jim. Great photography as expected. Love how clear and sharp the photos are - one could be mistaken that they were computer renders! I think the set is a good "idea" but not well executed. Even if there are good discounts on this, I will probably pass on adding this to my collection... I've seen a few responses highlighting some typos, but I'll include in my list anyway just for completeness so you'll have them at hand to easily make the corrections :grin:

15 hours ago, Jim said:

- By looking at the bags you can already a lot of different bright colors

- Since I misplaced the L Motor

- The enige powering this behemoth

- A 4 cylinder enige....hmmmph

- The axle still need to be pushed

- crane are definitely not the strong suite of this

- but I can't help but thinking that the gap

- it's a sign that it's gonna be yuge. And that the Mexicans are going to pay for it...o wait now

- placed both chains at the rear end of the vehicle, instead of one of the side

- this truck iis using the M Motor

- it was clear that this sets packs and interesting gearbox

- investigate were the problem originated

you can already see a lot

misplaced the XL Motor

The engine powering

4 cylinder engine

The axle still needs to be pushed

not the strong suit of this

but I can't help but think that the gap

gonna be huge. And that the Mexicans are going to pay for it...oh wait now

instead of one (on or to) the side

this truck is using the M Motor

that this set packs an interesting gearbox

investigate where the problem

Also, while not really a typo, but I feel it would read better changing "As with much Technic models" to "As with many Technic models"

Edited by t12ung

29 minutes ago, t12ung said:

Thanks for a very informative review, Jim. Great photography as expected. Love how clear and sharp the photos are - one could be mistaken that they were computer renders! I think the set is a good "idea" but not well executed. Even if there are good discounts on this, I will probably pass on adding this to my collection... I've seen a few responses highlighting some typos, but I'll include in my list anyway just for completeness so you'll have them at hand to easily make the corrections :grin:

Also, while not really a typo, but I feel it would read better changing "As with much Technic models" to "As with many Technic models"

Thanks! You are right about the spelling issues. I haven't read it as thoroughly as I usually do. Usually I type the first day and I reread and correct another day, to prevent these issues. But since I was a bit pressed for time, I missed a lot of these mistakes. I will correct them :thumbup:

Yuge is on purpose though :tongue:

16 hours ago, Jim said:

PS definitely agree with you!

I second that Jim, you spell out your reviews so carefully and precisely, I always enjoy reading your reviews w/ pics as you go...thank you from a fan

I do still wonder if the 2H2017 sets are available in the US as of yet..I see that some Lego stores overseas already have them available..has anybody seen them in the US?

Great review as always Jim ... have you convinced me to buy this set (as you sometimes do with your reviews) ? ... No. Just too expensive for what it is.

Just now, Seasider said:

Great review as always Jim ... have you convinced me to buy this set (as you sometimes do with your reviews) ? ... No. Just too expensive for what it is.

Thanks. To be honest; I am probably the most enthusiastic non-TLG-employee on the planet and I totally understand why most of you will be skipping this set. 

As my girlfriend stated; when you buy a 279 euro Technic set, it needs to be perfect and there should be little need to MOD it.

Excellent review as always Jim.

Unlike most i will be buying this, but as a present for the grand children at Christmas when granny will spend a couple of days helping them to build it. :classic: and then they will get bored with it and give it back to granny to fix as they invariably break something and then I'll have a chance to see how it can be improved.

As for the colour vomit inside, if you build any of the bigger Star Wars sets you will be use to this.

Sadly this flagship set for 2017 just doesn't seem to stack up against the bucket wheel, which for a UK street price of now £128 in most stores is a real bargain and worth every single penny. Even the previous Acros Mercedes is a better deal. Shame, but it does seem this set is looking likely to be less popular and rather expensive for what it is...

Wonder if the price will drop quickly due to this?

Thanks for this very nice review @Jim :thumbup:! I think the two issues below are related. Because of the 'bending under its own weight' (which is something different from flex in a cruise ship, but that's not my point now :sweet:), the panels at the back side of the side-outriggers are slightly off-grid and come in too close to the outriggers. Perhaps reinforcing the chassis / bed will also solve the issue with the outriggers.

20 hours ago, Jim said:

The center of the chassis seems to be bending a bit, which isn't really surprising, given the size of the model. When I go on a cruise, the ship is bending all the time and that's not even a bad thing. I don't really mind this model bending a bit, although one could claim that it needs some reinforcement.

35786770852_332cbe66a4_c.jpg

20 hours ago, Jim said:

One thing that kind of bugged me during operating the outriggers is the fact that a 7L axle has been used and it has been stopped by two full bushes. This resulted in the outrigger getting stuck near the panel on the right side. I was surprised by this, since TLG usually makes sure that there is ample space for moving parts. I will be modding this by using an 6L axle and half bushes.

35789286952_64a5663b7a_c.jpg

Edited by Didumos69

Excellent review, Jim.

Personally, I think the gear switching is fine. The steering radius should be better, but the colour vomit just kills it for me. I can understand LEGO trying to make the build as easy as possible, but come on. What's next? Selling pre-assembled models?

I await someone to build this model in a more cohesive color scheme.

Here's my thoughts in one sentence: Great review, nice set, perfect for a MOD, but not for me, so I'm waiting for 42069...

Edited by mocbuild101
How did I put 'for' instead of 'not'?!

8 hours ago, t12ung said:

Corrected the typos (and errors). And I definitely agree with many instead of much. It's a countable quantity :thumbup:

I commented on SarieIs review earlier, but for this I voted above average. I voted that way becuase it's a big beast, it has remote control and I love the outriggers set up. As I said before, lovers of big trucks will buy it for themselves or their children.

I will repeat myself. This is a crane truck!

Having read this great review, in my opinion, a spare tyre, a front winch and suspension should be in the set. The super structure/boom arm should be much more usable and have pulley wheels and a decent hook. I have one of the steel hooks from years ago that you can put a pulley wheel in. In total I have three (or four) different lego hooks. I really look forward to seeing someone improve this set. its 42069 for me or bust!

The B model makes no sense.

PS: Jim, anyway these reviews could remain at the top of the topics whilst we debate them? They do move down as new topics are added and it would save having to search for them.

Thanks

H

Edited by Horace T

If they move down, it means they are not interesting enough LoL :laugh:

If you use the homepage, you can find them in a single click though.
(pinning isn't a bad idea, but I am not sure it's really necessary)

8 hours ago, LucyCol said:

As for the colour vomit inside, if you build any of the bigger Star Wars sets you will be use to this.

Mm-hm. R2-D2 springs to mind...

Although I like how this set looks I have mixed feelings in terms of how original it is. This is a 6x6 Road Mauler Matchbox all terrain truck. If you add a crane and paint it dark azure you would pretty much get 42070. And BTW the Matchbox version has a better suspension.

Edited by Szymon Pobiega

still like the mean look of this truck, the review is great.  The price point is not an issue, will just wait for amazon to knock a 3rd off, I'm just annoyed by the unfinished bed of the truck, and that flimsey looking crame arm.  Despite the lifting capacity being ok.  Why would they not just beef the whole thing up with a couple of panels down the side of the crane arm to make it look tough and strong like the rest of the truck? 

It's not like cost vs RRP selling price was a consideration here.  It's just slightly unfinished.

Edited by paul_delahaye