Hi everybody,

my first topic, my first moc ...

800x490.jpg

With this moc a had two goals building a tracked vehicle:
1. Make it as small as possible
2. Maximize playability with lots of power functions

To the first point: the distance between the tracks is only six studs and the whole vehicle fits into the shovel of a 42030 :classic:

And now the power functions: it is using a 8878 rechargeable battery box, an SBrick and four M-motors. Two motors are used for driving and there is a subtractor inside (which means one motor runs the vehicle forward/backward, the second motor is turning it left/right). The third motor runs the container lifting device at the back and it also locks/unlocks the trailer coupling. As it is double worm geared it is very slow, but very strong. The last motor runs the lifting device at the front. As there was absolutely no space left for any more gearing, it works by using a rope and a set of pulleys.

Enough words, here some more pictures:

Tracked_Vehicle_20170707_Perspektive2.pn

800x490.jpg

800x490.jpg

800x490.jpg

As you can see these are pictures made with the LDD and so it was easy to extract the power functions:

800x490.jpg

800x490.jpg

All just digital? Of course I know what you are waiting for. And here is the video showing this little thing in action:

http://dai.ly/x5tmoni

If you like my creation and want to copy it you can find a LDD-File here:

http://bricksafe.com/pages/Leonard_Goldstein/tiny-tracked-vehicle

There is also a background picture availably for your SBrick-profile (as you can see in the video). Maybe you have to adjust the resolution depending on your mobile device.

Some notes to the LDD-file if you want to copy this:

• 42003 on the roof are not placed exactly as this is an illegal lego connection. Watch the video for exact position.
  • Same for 32039 at the rear axle.
  • The lifting device at the front needs a rubber band to keep the rope tight. Otherwise the rope would fall of the pulleys.
  • For the lifting device I used a beam with ball cup which is not available in the LDD. I replaced it by 6M Half beams and a 2M cross axle.
  • The cable routing is quite tricky as the vehicle is so small. I used same cable fixer to make this easier. Ok, no Lego-parts. Shame on me. But you can get them in every do-it-yourself store for a little money. 

Greetings

Leonard Goldstein

The subtractor unit looks very compact. A very ingenoius build, well done.

Edited by Doug72

5 hours ago, Doug72 said:

The subtractor unit looks very compact. A very ingenoius build, well done.

45 minutes ago, AFOLegofan66 said:

This is a really compact MOC and works well. Great job!! Thanks for the LDD!!

http://bricksafe.com/pages/AFOLegofan66

Many thanks for the compliments!

@AFOLegofan66: I watched your bricksafe page - that is really impressing. Seems like you are a full-time lego builder ...

Greetings

Leonard Goldstein

Very good MOC, I like the size, I like the functions, I like the playability. Well executed concept! :thumbup:

Great moc:thumbup:. It is like baby brother (in orange) of 42069 B model :wink:

31 minutes ago, VKTechnic said:

I've been wanting a subtractor that small for ages...great work! :wub:

Thanks! 

Well, this configuration of a subtractor results in very low speed as the 24-tooth differential housings are driven by a worm gear. For this vehicle it is a benefit because it makes it much easier to catch the boxes or the container. 

But I realized another solution of a subtractor that result in high speed. It fits perfectly into the 42065-Tracked-Racer and you can see it in the video at 0:17. This will probably be my next topic, but I need to take some pictures and a video. Give me some time.

Greetings

Leonard Goldstein

11 minutes ago, Leonard Goldstein said:

Thanks! 

Well, this configuration of a subtractor results in very low speed as the 24-tooth differential housings are driven by a worm gear. For this vehicle it is a benefit because it makes it much easier to catch the boxes or the container. 

But I realized another solution of a subtractor that result in high speed. It fits perfectly into the 42065-Tracked-Racer and you can see it in the video at 0:17. This will probably be my next topic, but I need to take some pictures and a video. Give me some time.

Greetings

Leonard Goldstein

You have all the time you need