8 hours ago, Kumbbl said:

thanks forĀ  fast reply Paul - maybe i have not expressed good enough what i had in mind... for me the best would be to have a working gearstick for switching gears + a DNR-shifter (maybe combined into one stick) PLUS a nifty HoG-shifter ... so the same principle as for steering: working "inhouse" operating stuff (the steering wheel rsp gearstickl) plus the HoG stuff...

That's an interesting concept having all of those functions with one stick... It would probably be difficult to do, but not impossible.. I have an idea already of how it could be done, but if I couldn't do it in a "legal" way, I would most likely abandon the idea... I also probably would not even bother including a HOG shifter if I already had a remarkable console shiftier that performed all of those functions...

6 hours ago, Meatman said:

Well Paul, as usual, no matter what you build, it's never enough. :laugh:

It's not unreasonable for people to always expect more, but I did think that I had quite enough interesting things packed into this model already...

4 hours ago, Paul Boratko said:

That's an interesting concept having all of those functions with one stick... It would probably be difficult to do, but not impossible.. I have an idea already of how it could be done, but if I couldn't do it in a "legal" way, I would most likely abandon the idea... I also probably would not even bother including a HOG shifter if I already had a remarkable console shiftier that performed all of those functions...

Hmm, i do not understand the final remark ("would not even bother including a HoG shifter if..."): why do people include HoG-steering-wheels? because the allow more easy accessible operation - same holds for gear shifting: regardless of having a console shifter it will always be a pain for a adults hand to operate gear shifting - at least for a non open-topped car - in case of a convertible i agree with you - no need for HoG-stuff neither steering nor shifting... but with current supercars with often closed roofs and small windscreens i really vote for HoG-stuff, even if there is a full working console-shifter...

4 hours ago, Paul Boratko said:

It's not unreasonable for people to always expect more, but I did think that I had quite enough interesting things packed into this model already...

of course you have packad in quite enough ;-) - i already said (multiple times): awesome supercar :wub::thumbup::wub::thumbup:

And my remark about a console shifter has nothing to do with typical "never good enough"-complainings - it was more about wondering why to leave out one of the most important and realistic operation-levers a car could - or should i say "should"?Ā :wink: - have... or with other words: if your model would also have a console-shifter than i would say it's the most awesome supercar ever born... but on the other side you and meatman are right: maybe we should stop always searching for the MOST awesome this-and-that - being awesome is really enough - and your car is really really awesome, period.

PS: well, here comes a "never good enough"-thing: ...and Ackermann... :grin::wink:

Many people(including Lego) who build manual models include HOG steering because it is fairly easy to implement and a necessity to easily operate the model.. Including in car steering is actually not the norm anymore in most Lego sets (like the 8070 for example) It's kind of hard to drive a car around using the in car steering wheel(especially pulling the car backwards because the wheel comes off too easily) I mainly include the in car steering just so people can say "Wow, the steering wheel also moves when the car steers"Ā 

To me the in car steering wheel is more of an after thought since it is never used if there is HOG steering..

My last car had a center console shifter that worked rather flawlessly and I wanted to do something completely different this time...

Ā 

18 hours ago, Paul Boratko said:

Yes, it turns basically the same way as the 42056 does..

I'm glad you bring up the 42056 for the knob wheel arrangement. I used the same principle for my rugged supercar, albeit a single pair of knob wheels to shift in both directions. I think we may conclude there was something good and innovative about 42056 after all, even though the implementation of the concept was not brilliant.

18 hours ago, Paul Boratko said:

The buttons are the the only real unique part of the module

I can imagine it takes some time to figure out a good implementation, but you sure managed to do that :thumbup:. They make this model an absolute novelty!

8 hours ago, Paul Boratko said:

3 hours ago, Kumbbl said:

regardless of having a console shifter it will always be a pain for a adults hand to operate gear shifting - at least for a non open-topped car

I think it's not only about accessibility, but also about ease of use. If you would have a DNR shifter and an up-and-down shifter to select gears that are as easy to operate as in Paul's Outlaw and as in my rugged supercar, and they would be accessible via a seriously slanted wind screen, then I wouldn't bother including a HoG shifter either.

Edited by Didumos69

Yes, it isĀ the combination of accessibilty and easyness of usage. If this combination is reasonable then all is fine and no need for HoG - agreed...

but in each case i like to have a working usable console shifter rsp paddle-shifter - the HoG is then a nice to have or ev necessary add on for better playability if the Accessibility/usage is limited...

but i do not want to occupy the thread about Pauls great and incredible well designed car with this discussion about the need or not need of console/HoG-shifters...Ā 

pauls intention was to do something new and he has done this very well... so all is fine because a designer should always build what HE want and not what "Never satisfied" people like me want to have ;-)

Edited by Kumbbl

Ā 

6 hours ago, Kumbbl said:

Yes, it isĀ the combination of accessibilty and easyness of usage. If this combination is reasonable then all is fine and no need for HoG - agreed...

but in each case i like to have a working usable console shifter rsp paddle-shifter - the HoG is then a nice to have or ev necessary add on for better playability if the Accessibility/usage is limited...

but i do not want to occupy the thread about Pauls great and incredible well designed car with this discussion about the need or not need of console/HoG-shifters...Ā 

pauls intention was to do something new and he has done this very well... so all is fine because a designer should always build what HE want and not what "Never satisfied" people like me want to have ;-)

I'll try and come up with something new and exciting for the next model.. And it will probably have some type of Ackermann steering... :wink:

Edited by Paul Boratko

Sorry for being late. Hats off for all the achievements in this model - inventive gearbox,Ā genious shifting mechanism, the paneling work - especially the front hood!Ā The chromed wheels add a lot to the presence too (IĀ“ve painted mine in mat silver, the outer part). Most of all I love the modularityĀ :thumbup:.

19 minutes ago, brunojj1 said:

Sorry for being late. Hats off for all the achievements in this model - inventive gearbox,Ā genious shifting mechanism, the paneling work - especially the front hood!Ā The chromed wheels add a lot to the presence too (IĀ“ve painted mine in mat silver, the outer part). Most of all I love the modularityĀ :thumbup:.

Thanks my man.. :thumbup:

If you wouldn't mind sharing (Privately of course) I would be very interested in how you did your lever HOG shifter in your recent manual AMG model..

Edited by Paul Boratko

46 minutes ago, Paul Boratko said:

Thanks my man.. :thumbup:

If you wouldn't mind sharing (Privately of course) I would be very interested in how you did your lever HOG shifter in your recent manual AMG model..

Oh, thereĀ“s no need for secrecy on that. The red shiftersĀ just fall back by gravity, the levers areĀ being retracted by shocks behind.

640x573.jpg640x480.jpg

The whole system is rather a proof of concept, far away from a perfect working mechanism like the ones from you, or Didumos or inĀ JeroenĀ“s creations :blush:. I simply wanted to build a manual car where the functions are operated fromĀ a comfortable, playable position above the rear axleĀ - and you did it too this timeĀ :thumbup::thumbup:.

Edited by brunojj1

15 hours ago, brunojj1 said:

Oh, thereĀ“s no need for secrecy on that. The red shiftersĀ just fall back by gravity, the levers areĀ being retracted by shocks behind.

Thank you very much..!

Paul, were you and Eric going to do instructions for this new model? Or do you happen to have more pictures of the modules? I've been trying to build them, but I am stuck on the shifting unit and main chassis. I also probably don't have the suspensions correct either. :laugh:

Edited by Meatman

On 7/27/2017 at 5:16 PM, Meatman said:

Paul, were you and Eric going to do instructions for this new model? Or do you happen to have more pictures of the modules? I've been trying to build them, but I am stuck on the shifting unit and main chassis. I also probably don't have the suspensions correct either. :laugh:

I'll discuss it with Eric.. The modularity of this model should make the instructions process a bit easier...

On 7/31/2017 at 10:16 AM, Paul Boratko said:

I'll discuss it with Eric.. The modularity of this model should make the instructions process a bit easier...

Excellent. Will definitely be keeping an eye out for any updates. This moc might just be good enough to finally win you a thirdwiggy award.:laugh:

Thxs for doing this Blakbird. Such high quality as usual.Ā Ā 

I rarely build other's creations, but, this one I am considering.Ā  Built, and still have my vampire GT and loved the experience.Ā Ā 

I love this model and have built the chassis based on your released online photos and I find the HOG gear mechanism genius.Ā :thumbup:

Are Eric and yourself still planning to complete the instructions/LDraw file for the whole car?

Ian...

Ā 

Ā 

I'm little late to the party. I'm so in love with this oneā€¦ Still no instructions available paul? ;)

Hi guys!

I was studying the door mecanism, and i think it's very smooth and effecive. I Don't seem to be able to identify the black (20 teeth?) gear he uses on his video, at 7:18

Someone kind enough to help me on this one? thx!

Outlaw video

Edited by Kaydash
video link ain't good