Rick

2018 Speed Champions Sets - Rumours and Discussion

19 hours ago, SirBlake said:

Precisely why I mod Speed Champions cars to be 8 studs wide. They always look better, and it eliminates the issue of production cars that seat at least two people side by side having a centered minifig driver.

True, they always look better. But if you want to combine all types of cars (and all sorts of other models: buildings, trains, aircraft, boats etc.) on a layout like I do you must find a way to get relatively good-looking cars also in a smaller scale (1/35 for passenger cars to be exact). That's why I try to rather shrink SC models down - which isn't as difficult as one might think because the width is already matching, at least in most cases (of course, not in terms of the Porsche 917K which had to be 7-wide throughout but that thing is rather a flying saucer than a racecar).

By mounting City mudguards and wheels, shortening the body and setting down roof and windscreen (e.g. the MOD of the GT40 - one of the lowest sports cars ever - is three layers or one whole brick [!] lower than the SC version) you get a much sportier look on a considerably smaller car. 

2 minutes ago, ER0L said:

True, they always look better. But if you want to combine all types of cars (and all sorts of other models: buildings, trains, aircraft, boats etc.) on a layout...

I don't. :)

I just want the cars to look right. That said, I'm an admirer of your work. You have to be the leading Lego transportation mod/MOC guy there is, so I absolutely respect where you're coming from. At the end of the day, centered driver = fail for me.

18 hours ago, FF4266 said:

Does anyone know when these new  sets will hit the shelves? 

If history repeats itself, late February in the US at Toys R Us.

On 2/5/2018 at 7:44 PM, TheLegoPerson9 said:

I’m definitely gonna try to get all of these.

Me too. I guess the only mystery left is whether Speed Champs will continue into 2019, or if there will be a surprise second wave in 2018... 

On 30.1.2018 at 4:26 PM, ER0L said:

True, they always look better. But if you want to combine all types of cars (and all sorts of other models: buildings, trains, aircraft, boats etc.) on a layout like I do you must find a way to get relatively good-looking cars also in a smaller scale (1/35 for passenger cars to be exact). That's why I try to rather shrink SC models down - which isn't as difficult as one might think because the width is already matching, at least in most cases (of course, not in terms of the Porsche 917K which had to be 7-wide throughout but that thing is rather a flying saucer than a racecar).

By mounting City mudguards and wheels, shortening the body and setting down roof and windscreen (e.g. the MOD of the GT40 - one of the lowest sports cars ever - is three layers or one whole brick [!] lower than the SC version) you get a much sportier look on a considerably smaller car. 

Indeed, can only agree on that one. Lowering these to city scale is definately a must for any serious joint layout of all types of vehicles.

This line is the best yet - part wise the mustang and the ford wrc (man, that has like 3 pairs of the new slope and 2 pairs of the wedge tiles) are a real joy to see. Will be excellent "slaughter for parts" material to finally get some cars done in dark blue and dark green colours. Also a few more neon green parts on the porsche...
Now if they would make the minifig head brackets in more colours, we'd have pretty much all that we asked for the recent years...
Looking forward to your guys mocs on flickr;)

The Ford Fiesta WRC and Ferrari 488 GT3 look bloody amazing, tremendous shaping! The only thing I just can't get over, and this is the main reason why I haven't bought any Speed Champions yet, is that the front light units and car brand logo are not printed.

I'm a big fan of nearly all the cars/sets in this years release. However i am a little disappointed with the pricing of 7588. Lego sells cars and scenery at £12.99 each, But for two cars and a larger scenery piece for £34.99? £30 would seem fairer. Small thing i know but its grating with me. Still gonna buy one though.

I find it odd how some of the Speed champions cars look so much better in real life than photos. The latest McLaren looked strange in pics, but is looking like one of the best on the shelf. The only exception is the AMG, looks great in pics, but it’s too long and thin when you hold it in reality to me. 

Great NEWS, I've been searching high and low for the back box art for the remaining single cars, mainly because I wanted to see the back of the Mustang. 

It comes with a printed 1x1 Round Tile:

resizepic.asp?path=s22-075884-b3.jpg

if I'm honest I still wish they just chose between Black and Gold or Highland Green, but there looks like enough new parts to enhance my Bullitt version. 

Really liking this Mustang, as my first car was a 66' Mustang. I always wanted the 67' fastback though they were hard to find. Surprisingly good off-roader in the Arizona desert. 

On 2/7/2018 at 1:20 PM, Lawndart said:

Me too. I guess the only mystery left is whether Speed Champs will continue into 2019, or if there will be a surprise second wave in 2018... 

I don’t see why it wouldn’t continue into 2019. It’s been well received by automotive websites, and they invested a number of new part moulds into it.

I would certainly love a second wave for 2018, and I don’t think it’s that farfetched to think. One thing I noticed is that there isn’t a $50-$70 set this time around. In the previous waves, you had a $30 set, a $50-$70 set, then the biggest set. This wave has a $30(maybe $40, but $30 seems plausible), and then straight to the biggest set.

21 minutes ago, TheLegoPerson9 said:

I don’t see why it wouldn’t continue into 2019. It’s been well received by automotive websites, and they invested a number of new part moulds into it.

I would certainly love a second wave for 2018, and I don’t think it’s that farfetched to think. One thing I noticed is that there isn’t a $50-$70 set this time around. In the previous waves, you had a $30 set, a $50-$70 set, then the biggest set. This wave has a $30(maybe $40, but $30 seems plausible), and then straight to the biggest set.

Good point about the new molds, that is a positive indication. But what I don’t see are these sets in the traditional retailers like toys r us and Walmart so I wonder how much better the series would do if they were more accessible to general consumers. 

42 minutes ago, Lawndart said:

Good point about the new molds, that is a positive indication. But what I don’t see are these sets in the traditional retailers like toys r us and Walmart so I wonder how much better the series would do if they were more accessible to general consumers. 

Toys R Us does have the theme. It’s Walmart and Target that does not. My only guess is that’s some sort of deal between TLG and TRU over the theme, because I don’t know any other reason as to why they aren’t in other big box stores. With TRU closing 180 stories(thankfully, the only one nearby here is safe), maybe something will change.

I still say that the attention it’s been getting from automotive sites is a big plus, though. 

5 hours ago, CaptvirgilHilts said:

Great NEWS, I've been searching high and low for the back box art for the remaining single cars, mainly because I wanted to see the back of the Mustang. 

It comes with a printed 1x1 Round Tile:

if I'm honest I still wish they just chose between Black and Gold or Highland Green, but there looks like enough new parts to enhance my Bullitt version. 

Wow, thanks for the pic! Based on the fuzzy leaked image from a while back, I was really hoping this one was going to include 1x6 earth green tiles (a piece I don't think exists). Looks like you only get 1x1, 1x4 and 1x8, rats :laugh: This is why my Lotus 49 MOC isn't earth green. Oh well, still going to buy this set!

Edited by MR Swordfish

Too much grip of Lego tires; would like to hear yours view on the following ; when my son was younger we played with DUPLO wehicels which tires have a little grip and are easy to manuver and play , drive it. Now when he is older,  we are assembling Speed champions and other sets and finding out that Lego tires have too much grip and are consequently much less enyojable to play with than with duplo. Has anybody already tried to find the solution for this...?

LEGO loves to brag about being the largest tire manufacturer in the world. And considering they are using rubber of a quality of an RC car it’s pretty valid. The quality in the rubber is so 10+ years from now our little tires aren’t crumbling away. 

Reguarding “too much grip” - run them over a dusty surface, it sticks to the tires and don’t push down on them too hard. You can even play with a grip coefficient of a traction circle if you’re so inclined. But those grippy feet get pretty loose with a little surface debris, just like real tires. 

3 hours ago, Lawndart said:

LEGO loves to brag about being the largest tire manufacturer in the world. And considering they are using rubber of a quality of an RC car it’s pretty valid. The quality in the rubber is so 10+ years from now our little tires aren’t crumbling away. 

Reguarding “too much grip” - run them over a dusty surface, it sticks to the tires and don’t push down on them too hard. You can even play with a grip coefficient of a traction circle if you’re so inclined. But those grippy feet get pretty loose with a little surface debris, just like real tires. 

Thank you for the answer. I have thought maybe somebody carried out experiments with spray lubricants ( e.g. silicone.....) or heat treatment ( artificial aging) or both .... Maybe Chinese lego's clones have less grip ( are easy playable)?  I can't recommend son to play with dirty toys ( dust on the surface..)