Rick

2018 Speed Champions Sets - Rumours and Discussion

They do, but I'd wager they approach the teams and factories themselves first, probably get to be the first to see the models before the real cars get released to the press (in the case of the 720S). Like Mattel, their next year assortment is probably all but set in stone and in for prototyping, and they're working on coming up with their 2020 models roster.

5 hours ago, XAxles said:

They do, but I'd wager they approach the teams and factories themselves first, probably get to be the first to see the models before the real cars get released to the press (in the case of the 720S). Like Mattel, their next year assortment is probably all but set in stone and in for prototyping, and they're working on coming up with their 2020 models roster.

Not particularly. With the 720s they had no idea about it 3 years previously. Also, car models evolve and change shape and Lego can't always prepare for that with a "set in stone" approach as they like to keep up to date with the latest looks and models (excluding iconic classics). Like the 2018 F1 cars have a general shape with concepts made but nobody knows how they will actually look till the reveal. Or how it will have changed after pre-season testing or after Abu Dhabi for that matter. we saw big changes in 2017 with different approaches for the Shark Fin, T-Wing and Aero in general not to exclude Mercedes's B-Car that came out in Spain with revised Aero and looks. Lego simply can't be complete and ready 3 years earlier for certain things in the SC Line. Imagine in 2020 Porsche reveal a brand new totally different and more aggressive looking 911 which nobody expects, Lego will (probably) bring it out  in the 2021 SC wave.

Edited by SDRFormula1

3 hours ago, SDRFormula1 said:

Not particularly. With the 720s they had no idea about it 3 years previously. Also, car models evolve and change shape and Lego can't always prepare for that with a "set in stone" approach as they like to keep up to date with the latest looks and models (excluding iconic classics). Like the 2018 F1 cars have a general shape with concepts made but nobody knows how they will actually look till the reveal. Or how it will have changed after pre-season testing or after Abu Dhabi for that matter. we saw big changes in 2017 with different approaches for the Shark Fin, T-Wing and Aero in general not to exclude Mercedes's B-Car that came out in Spain with revised Aero and looks. Lego simply can't be complete and ready 3 years earlier for certain things in the SC Line. Imagine in 2020 Porsche reveal a brand new totally different and more aggressive looking 911 which nobody expects, Lego will (probably) bring it out  in the 2021 SC wave.

Hey moderators! We need a new thread making: "2021 Speed Champions Set Rumours and Discussion"

4 hours ago, Brick Lover said:

Why?

Based on this theory below.

14 hours ago, XAxles said:

Edited by SDRFormula1

This is exciting news. Considering that I have a '66 fastback, a lego version of a 68 fastback is a dream come true. Hope we get better pics soon.

15 hours ago, SirBlake said:

This is exciting news. Considering that I have a '66 fastback, a lego version of a 68 fastback is a dream come true. Hope we get better pics soon.

I wouldn't be surprised if we got them during this month/early February.

16 hours ago, J4ck said:

I wouldn't be surprised if we got them during this month/early February.

I would expect so. If memory serves, the sets were showing up at some TRUs in late February. At least they were the last couple of years. 

On 4 January 2018 at 1:22 AM, SirBlake said:

I would expect so. If memory serves, the sets were showing up at some TRUs in late February. At least they were the last couple of years. 

Smyth's usually put out sets early so I'll take trip late February.

Nothing really new, but there is a lot of reporting on these leaks now, and supposedly they are only a couple weeks away. So offical images should start showing up any day now... LEGO is so secretive about this series that I’m encouraged by the future of the series continuing, or it’s just that due to licenses that things aren’t final till the last minute... but what’s not encouraging is that all these sets, being only 2 manufacturers, could just be left over late approvals to fill a release schedule set long ago. It’s kind of ironic though, Ford and Ferrari, with such a tense history, are featured in headlines together. 

Yeah, same shots, but good job on the comparison photos for reference. But I think they grabbed the wrong rally car, but close enough. 

So it seems to be "year of the rally car" for Lego this year got one in Technic, Creator and Speed Champions. Is there one for City as well? 

10 hours ago, Johnny1360 said:

So it seems to be "year of the rally car" for Lego this year got one in Technic, Creator and Speed Champions. Is there one for City as well? 

There was a few years ago it was 60113, a really great one if you can still grab one. 

If Lego is going to strike up a partnership with a new company, I'm hoping it's Toyota so we can get a TS050 to go with the 919H. Now that they're doing rally cars we could get a Yaris, which would be neat. And then there's the potential for Suprae (the MKV has been spotted out for testing, so a good candidate for a Then and Now) or an LFA. 

The series needs a little more variety. I understand it's all about the licensing. We have the exotics and muscle cars but where are the JDM? 

Yeah I’m going to want to mod that Mustang. Fingers crossed that I have enough dark green bricks to do it. 

Your MOC of the Bullitt car looks great. Only suggestion is that 67-68 fastback roofs terminated at the back of the car, just a touch higher than the trunk like relative to a coupe or convertible. What you have there looks a bit more like a 65-66 fastback. Just sayin’ :)

6 hours ago, SirBlake said:

Yeah I’m going to want to mod that Mustang. Fingers crossed that I have enough dark green bricks to do it. 

Your MOC of the Bullitt car looks great. Only suggestion is that 67-68 fastback roofs terminated at the back of the car, just a touch higher than the trunk like relative to a coupe or convertible. What you have there looks a bit more like a 65-66 fastback. Just sayin’ :)

Actually re-engineered it after the fact here's an updated pic. 

7FXOa9gr.jpg 

It's nice seeing a rally car get some love. Any news on Audi getting into the mix with their rally cars? 

Hi, made an account just to point something out here! Has anybody noticed that the green Porche Turbo in the new wave isn't using Speed Champions rims? It has the SC tyres, but the rims are the wider ones that have been around for a much longer time. Interesting way to get the rim to poke out of the side of the tyre!

Edited by MR Swordfish
typo fix