Rick

2018 Speed Champions Sets - Rumours and Discussion

On 6/23/2018 at 4:21 PM, Digger of Bricks said:

Regarding Aston Martin, how about a Zagato V12? :classic:

That would be great, it is one beautiful car. I kind of based one of my MOCs on it: XVK

It is in no way a scale model, but I really like the rear lights and the roof angle, and that is what I tried to capture. Sadly, as is often the case with LEGO, some of the curves on the original car are to smooth to capture in the brick.

1 hour ago, Exetrius said:

There isn't any 2019 info on there, or am I mistaken?

From what I can see, nope, there doesn't seem to be anything like that, just an invitation for speculative discussion for the upcoming year. It doesn't seem like the OP of that post knows anything, so I don't think it's any sort of confirmation that the theme will be marching on.

Isn’t it about this time of year when leaks start slipping out for next years lineup? Even if just verbal ones from trusted sources?

9 hours ago, Lawndart said:

Isn’t it about this time of year when leaks start slipping out for next years lineup? Even if just verbal ones from trusted sources?

Usually, but I don’t remember if Speed Champions were among them last summer.

9 hours ago, Lawndart said:

Besides a few exceptions to the rule, typically the beans start spilling for most Lego themes shortly after San Diego Comic-Con has wrapped up.

I just hope they bring Aston Martin into Speed Champions now that they seem to have the license. If this theme will continue, they will need to branch out and add new brands. So far, all the classics we’ve seen are icons, so a DB5, regardless whether it’s the Creator Expert set or not, would fit perfectly.

Now that I think about it, LEGO  have the BMW license, right? I think there was a BMW motorcycle in the Technic line, and Mini is currently owned by BMW. 

Edited by TheLegoPerson9

20 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Besides a few exceptions to the rule, typically the beans start spilling for most Lego themes shortly after San Diego Comic-Con has wrapped up.

Makes sense, this thread was started back in mid July 2017 so perhaps we’ll learn more sooner than later. And perhaps that will trigger a new thread to be started. 

By the way I actually was thinking of the Rolls Royce Phantom however this simply wouldn't fit the Speed Champions theme, because as far as I can tell, despite having a V12 engine with 563 horsepower, it looks a bit too casual to look like a sports car. Not to mention it's more of a luxury car than a sports car.

It would be better for the Rolls Royce Phantom to be in the Creator theme, not to mention the Spirit of Ecstasy would be way too big for a 6 stud wide car to be represented for a Microfig.

thumb_5a4d76607585cd6e396ee7d0_vehicle_h

Not to mention the Spirit of Ecstasy could be kinda hard to make:

220px-Rolls_Royce_Silver_Cloud_I_1957_Sp

I am still looking for better ideas. Has anyone thought of the Koenigsegg One:1?

328102265_koenigseggone1evensmaller.jpg.fc9b0d1ba9aceb5452f50eb62eb8cfbe.jpg

I was thinking of a Bentley Continental GT as well, considering the Ford Mustang GT and the Chevy Corvette Z06 were in the list of Speed Champions Cars.

image-8.jpg

7 hours ago, Perry said:

I am still looking for better ideas.

I'm still expecting the yet-to-be unveiled rear-engine C8 Corvette to be a possible candidate for a future set, if we're to presume the theme will continue on for at least one more year.

What ever happen with the Speed Champions lego on the Formula E roboracer? Would have been cool for something like that.

14 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

I'm still expecting the yet-to-be unveiled rear-engine C8 Corvette to be a possible candidate for a future set, if we're to presume the theme will continue on for at least one more year.

I’m probably too optimistic about this, but I really don’t see the theme being discontinued right after we got a new fender mould, among other thoughts. The one thing the theme would definitely news to stay afloat is new brands, as well as utilizing other brands that are already present like Mercedes-Benz. 

The C8 is a cars that I do see being likely in the still hypothetical 2019 wave, along with the Mercedes-Benz Project One and McLaren Senna. It would be cool to get a C8 alongside either a C2 or an early C3, since I’m certain we will also see at least one iconic classic. 

Edited by TheLegoPerson9

Since TLG included Ford rally car it would have been great to have more of these. Any of old Group B (Audi, Peugeot, Lancia, etc.) cars would be a hit.

I'm just going to state the obvious here: 2019 is the perfect year for Lego to work out a licensing deal with Toyota. 

The TS050 finally won Le Mans (and will likely win again at the end of the "super season" in 2019), and a set would allow them to capitalize on the Fernando Alonso hype (now that we know that drivers are at least sometimes based on real people). 

Besides the LMP, the new MkV Supra will be hitting production in 2019, and would thus be a perfect candidate for their 2pk "then and now" set for the year.

On 7/15/2018 at 7:17 PM, OpenBagTwo said:

I'm just going to state the obvious here: 2019 is the perfect year for Lego to work out a licensing deal with Toyota. 

The TS050 finally won Le Mans (and will likely win again at the end of the "super season" in 2019), and a set would allow them to capitalize on the Fernando Alonso hype (now that we know that drivers are at least sometimes based on real people).  

Besides the LMP, the new MkV Supra will be hitting production in 2019, and would thus be a perfect candidate for their 2pk "then and now" set for the year.

That's actually a pretty good idea

On 7/26/2018 at 2:04 PM, captainDC99 said:

After Bond's Aston Martin release it can be argued that we can look forward to the Speed champions AM version. 

Now that they have the James Bond Aston Martin DB5 from the Creator Line, I'm still thinking if they will ever do an Aston Martin DB11.

9 hours ago, Perry said:

Now that they have the James Bond Aston Martin DB5 from the Creator Line, I'm still thinking if they will ever do an Aston Martin DB11.

I think if the Speed Champions range adds Aston Martin to their lineup, they'd more likely release sets of or featuring the Valkyrie, the Vulcan and the Vantage GT3/GTE.

So it looks like Target has picked up the Speed Champions line, I was in there today and they had all the new sets, except for the larger one. Good News for us SC fans that were worried of it's demise.

It was only TRU exclusive in the U.S.(and maybe Canada but idk), so I don’t think that would have led to its demise.

I’m just wondering where the rumors are. This is usually the time we get set rumors for City, Creator, Speed Champions, etc.

On 7/29/2018 at 8:36 PM, Johnny1360 said:

So it looks like Target has picked up the Speed Champions line, I was in there today and they had all the new sets, except for the larger one. Good News for us SC fans that were worried of it's demise.

Wal-Mart has as well.