Rick

2018 Speed Champions Sets - Rumours and Discussion

On 12/29/2017 at 6:24 AM, Teoh0615 said:

The yellow ford gt might come out at summer (guess) 

I found out another image of ford fiesta http://anjsbrickblog.blogspot.com/2017/12/lego-speed-champions-ford-fiesta-m.html

If you pause the video at around 0:49 you can get a clear look of the car with its different design techniques to the race car.

At this point in the game, it seems that we won't be seeing any additional set(s) for 2018, unlike the prior year. So, having said that, what do you guys think our chances are for seeing this theme continue a fifth year? Do you perhaps think that those chances are now lower given that Toys'R Us has pretty much shuttered up within the United States? 

Edited by Digger of Bricks

I have no news either way, I certainly do hope the theme continues though, I have grown rather fond of them. 

I do feel the build techniques have evolved for the better as well, with each new wave. There is only so much you can do differently at that scale though, so maybe the theme has run it's course. 

I do really hope SC goes on at least a couple more years.

Lego are starting a collaboration with Aston Martin though (Link Below) so who knows, with luck we might see an SC Aston next year!

https://drivetribe.com/p/the-next-lego-car-is-CXyU0RHzTfqSMb1jDE2krA?iid=dyuTZtFVTju6Vn817a-T9w

But now with Toyota being the only proper LMP1 Manufacturer, what will TLG do for the future SC LMP1 cars. Who knows, we could hopefully get some Privateer/LMP2 teams in the range to spice it up a bit!

17 hours ago, SDRFormula1 said:

Lego are starting a collaboration with Aston Martin though (Link Below) so who knows, with luck we might see an SC Aston next year!

Most certainly! Modern Aston Martins would make for yet another great addition to the theme! :classic:

^A DB5 would also be nice, and they don't need to have any James Bond licensing. They can just do what they did with the Mustang.

On 6/17/2018 at 8:39 PM, Digger of Bricks said:

At this point in the game, it seems that we won't be seeing any additional set(s) for 2018, unlike the prior year. So, having said that, what do you guys think our chances are for seeing this theme continue a fifth year? Do you perhaps think that those chances are now lower given that Toys'R Us has pretty much shuttered up within the United States? 

It was only TRU exclusive in North America, iirc. Furthermore, the 2017 and 2018 sets are now on the Target website for those within the United States. Also, automotive websites have been reporting on the theme since it's inception, and the theme has improved since and have added numerous new parts, and there's also the factor of licensing costs. I remember reading that Ferrari and Bugatti are not cheap licenses to get, and if they have licenses, they gotta use them, or it will be a waste. With the positive reception and the costs of new parts and licensing, it's likely not going anywhere. There's still a lot that they can do with it. assuming they get new licenses for the theme. 

The lack of a second wave is definitely strange, as I don't recall any other major theme that only has one wave per year. I would like to think that will change eventually, but I am not holding my breath.

Edited by TheLegoPerson9

On 6/18/2018 at 11:22 AM, SDRFormula1 said:

https://drivetribe.com/p/the-next-lego-car-is-CXyU0RHzTfqSMb1jDE2krA?iid=dyuTZtFVTju6Vn817a-T9w

But now with Toyota being the only proper LMP1 Manufacturer, what will TLG do for the future SC LMP1 cars. Who knows, we could hopefully get some Privateer/LMP2 teams in the range to spice it up a bit!

The aston thing is most likely a creator expert set, given that the Ideas Jaguar e-type was shot down for clashing with a coming product, im expecting a DB5 the size of the F40/Mini myself.

As for LMP1/SC, LMP1 will probably be axed after 2019, given that the FIA/ACO have a hypercar (think modern GT1) formula in the works for le-mans 2020. Those cars will cost a lot less then an LMP1H entry (target is 1/4th of the budget) and target the same lap times, which means LMP2 is probably safe for now, although i dont think LMP2 has the mass market appeal to sell sets (hell, i dont really know any lmp2 teams very well now that Reb have moved back into LMP1)

I very much hope the TS050 will make it into speed champions next year, but im not holding my breath, generally the SC deals are for more then a single car, and toyota just doesnt have much besides the LMP1s, especially given SCs focus on actual motorsports. (they could do a riced up supra, but they'd need nissan to play ball with a GT-R set, maybe classic R32+R35? to make the theme of the year japanese tuner cars, much like wave 2 was american muscle/motorsports). 

The TS050 does have one thing going for it though, it has a le-mans victory under its belt now, and most real racecars in the theme are race/championship winners. But im not sure if toyota/lego has any interest in a one-car deal, or whether there is more to choose from that would fit the theme

Either way, i seriously hope the SC theme will continue next year, i love my collection of little racecars

1 hour ago, vectormatic said:

toyota just doesnt have much besides the LMP1s

They've got the new Supra coming out, they've got the Yaris rally car which could rival the Fiesta and they're even building this thing: https://www.caradvice.com.au/658409/toyota-gr-super-sports-concept-headed-for-production/

Toyota could be a good suggestion but Aston Martin is slightly better for the Speed Champions range. (Valkyrie, Vulcan, Vantage GTE. You're welcome.)

I'm still awaiting the return of Lamborghini to Lego, whether it debuts for the Speed Champions theme, returns to Technic, or even for Creator Expert perhaps.

6 hours ago, RacerRabbit said:

Toyota could be a good suggestion but Aston Martin is slightly better for the Speed Champions range. (Valkyrie, Vulcan, Vantage GTE. You're welcome.)

Oh yes! All three of those would be simply incredible to see for the theme! :thumbup:

Hey, if we are all so confident that Speed Champions will carry on, perhaps someone should start a wishlist topic as soon as we receive confirmation of a fifth year. :wink:

12 hours ago, RacerRabbit said:

They've got the new Supra coming out, they've got the Yaris rally car which could rival the Fiesta and they're even building this thing: https://www.caradvice.com.au/658409/toyota-gr-super-sports-concept-headed-for-production/

The super sports concept is probably one of the cars headed to le-mans in 2020, so that seems like a fair shot, although waiting to see what the LM car turns out might be prudent

On the other subjects, im not really bowled over by the fiesta, it seems like a poor fit in the SC-lineup, but indeed lego could choose to expand the WRC-section.

As for the supra, if i look at SC lineup so far, it is either race-cars, hypercars or muscle cars/classics, the new supra doesnt fall into one of those slots, so much like the fiesta it would either be a somewhat odd duck, or the theme would require some more models to flesh it out, which i would absolutely applaud.

This is pure wishlisting, but a japanese focused lineup could be like this

- Toyota TS050

- Toyota supra

- Ferrari 812 superfast (for that customary ferrari/hypercar in the lineup)

- Nissan single set, im thinking either fairlady Z/Datsun 280z, or a GT-R-LM, although that might be a bit painful next to cars which actually worked at le-mans. (this slot could also be taken if one of the long term SC partners has something new and shiney, like the 720s last year)

- Nissan double header: tuned R32 skyline GT-R + track based R35 GT-R

- Multi-brand big set: Drift meeting, Nissan 350z, Mazda FD RX7, old school Toyota supra, all in massively tuned JDM drift spec, a small japanese gas station/diner and some traffic cones, maybe some japanese like trees/plants to set up a foresty/mountain drift scene.

Personally i dont think this lineup (or something similar) will happen, licensing wise they would need to work out deals with at least 3 new companies, including a never done before multi-brand set, but personally i would love something like this.

@Digger of Bricks Oh yes, Aventador please! :thumbup:

@vectormatic Great ideas, but the licencing would be challenging indeed. In general TLG has next to zero licences with Japanese companies, if that is any indication. Plus, how would they feel about licencing their cars, but heavily modified, would that work out? That said, I'd like to see a purple supra with massive spoiler/body kit tuning, neon lighting and nitro, in a shady garage box, Need for Speed style! :grin:

Just now, Exetrius said:

@vectormatic Great ideas, but the licencing would be challenging indeed. In general TLG has next to zero licences with Japanese companies, if that is any indication. Plus, how would they feel about licencing their cars, but heavily modified, would that work out? That said, I'd like to see a purple supra with massive spoiler/body kit tuning, neon lighting and nitro, in a shady garage box, Need for Speed style! :grin:

I cant think of any japanese companies under lego license either, so that would be a challenge. Come to think of it, i dont even know if lego is even popular in japan at all

As for modded renditions of cars, i dont think that would be a huge issue, as japanese carmakers tend to embrace the modding scene. The toyota GT86 for instance is/was sold in a special pre-mod spec in japan. It came with black plastic (unpainted) bumpers, steel wheels etc.. knowing there would be people who want to buy one of these and instantly slap on a body kit and a set of 20 inch team 5igen wheels, so they decided not to put expensive parts on that would be thrown out immediately. Ford basically accepted the same with the model A hotrod in wave 2, and chevy as well with the dragified camaro.

For all we know it will just be another wave of some new ferraris (although im not sure what is out there left to cover in terms of new stuff, besides the 812 SF), some porsches/fords and a spare BMW (the M8GTE falls straight into lego's GT car fetish) though, time will tell

Considering the VAG licence seems robust, I'm also adding to the calls for some Lamborghini love.

I'd also like to see some classic vintage models (similar to the Ferraris we've seen in Shell promos and Racer series).

I dont think Toyota is gonna come to lego speed champions since Toyota is not giving away their license. Its not in any mayor new video game

Even if the DB5 is F40 size, it could still mean Aston Martin for 2019 Speed Champions. It’s doing pretty well for itself, so I’d imagine LEGO would want to keep it going, especially with all the new parts the theme has introduced. Maybe I’m too optimistic, but I just don’t see it being discontinued when taking everything into account.

Now, assuming we are getting another wave for 2019, I’m personally hoping for the Mercedes-Benz Project One, and if they have/get the licenses for Aston Martin and Mopars, an Aston Martin Valkyrie and a 1968 Dodge Charger.

16 hours ago, Kape H2O said:

I dont think Toyota is gonna come to lego speed champions since Toyota is not giving away their license. Its not in any mayor new video game

They are in Forza motorsport 7, im not sure how much more recent and major you can get in terms of racing games.

EDIT: and Gran Turismo Sport too

Edited by vectormatic

Hypothetically speaking, if LEGO did get licensing from Toyota, it would potentially mean access to Lexus. That could lead to an LFA or LC500. The Supra was already mentioned, but if Toyota comes on board, I would personally be hoping for the 2000GT.

I also saw BMW mentioned. IIRC, Mini is owned by BMW, so they must have some type of licensing with them, and I think there was a technic motorcycle as well. BMW also has a lengthy motorsport history, with cars such as the 3.0 CSL, M1 Procar, E30, V12 LMR, etc. A $30 BMW set with the M1 Procar and M8 GTE would be fantastic. Furthermore, I am a big fan of this year’s Ferrari Ultimate Garage set, and BMW is another brand that could easily fit in another set like it.

It’s interesting that there hasn’t been a single Lamborghini yet. My only guess is because the modern Lamborghinis like the Aventador SV are extremely hard to pull off in this scale, perhaps even for the set designers.

In addition to hoping theme lasts(even though I think it will), this is why I wish for two waves per year. There’s a lot they can do, and IMO, it doesn’t have to be second wave of 6-7 sets in the same year. It could easily be 3-4 and I think people would still be satisfied.

Edited by TheLegoPerson9

Like they did with the Bugutti Chiron TLG could make an SC Aston and follow it up with a Technic set!  :excited:  And the BMW M8 GTE in SC and alongside the Ford GT in Technic would be even better although it is improbable. All we can do is wait and see.

Regarding Aston Martin, how about a Zagato V12? :classic:

Aston-Martin-V12-Zagato-2012-8-600x450.j

20 hours ago, TheLegoPerson9 said:

It’s interesting that there hasn’t been a single Lamborghini yet. My only guess is because the modern Lamborghinis like the Aventador SV are extremely hard to pull off in this scale, perhaps even for the set designers.

If the Speed Champions theme were to attempt Lamborghinis, I'd guess that they'd particularly want to create a new canopy part for them, as I don't think the other two windshield parts introduced by the theme would work out in capturing the cabin shape of your typical Lamborghini.

15 minutes ago, SDRFormula1 said:

Some more Lego Aston Martin Ideas. Let's see these happen Lego, C'mon!

Let us not forget @TheBrickBuilder14's Speed Champions scaled DB5! :wink:

On 6/23/2018 at 9:21 AM, Digger of Bricks said:

Regarding Aston Martin, how about a Zagato V12? :classic:

Aston-Martin-V12-Zagato-2012-8-600x450.j

If the Speed Champions theme were to attempt Lamborghinis, I'd guess that they'd particularly want to create a new canopy part for them, as I don't think the other two windshield parts introduced by the theme would work out in capturing the cabin shape of your typical Lamborghini.

I could see this happening. They’ve introduced a number of new parts in this theme.