Rick

2018 Speed Champions Sets - Rumours and Discussion

Speed Champions go on sale in New Zealand on 1st March. But my friendly local toy shop text me today to say they were in. So off I went to get my LEGO fix.

speed_champions_2018_nz.jpg

Now I just have to build them and put on the dreaded stickers. :)

Will probably have to design and build a Ferrari dealership to go on my Speed Champions layout. 

6 hours ago, J4ck said:

This might have been said already, but since there have been new pieces invested into this theme, do you think it is safe to say this theme will run for a fifth year?

I hope, and think, so.  There lots of great possibilities, and this theme does well with sales as far as I can tell.  Japanese cars have not been done at all.  Mercedes' and Audi's lineup of road cars could be explored.  BMW and Lamborghini are strangely absent from the theme. A classic Corvette needs to be done, and they already have a blue print for that with "Lola" from a Marvel Iron Man set.  Jaguar, Rolls Royce, Bentley, Mini, Chrysler have great material. 

Is it only me that think its wierd that there is no lamborghini in the speed champions lineup, since lamborghini is owned by the same company that ownes porsche, Audi and bugatti. And because the company that ownes these is Volkswagen i would love to see a Volkswagen polo rally car

1 hour ago, Kape H2O said:

Is it only me that think its wierd that there is no lamborghini in the speed champions lineup, since lamborghini is owned by the same company that ownes porsche, Audi and bugatti. And because the company that ownes these is Volkswagen i would love to see a Volkswagen polo rally car

I was half expecting Lamborghini to be in this year’s line up. A Diablo GT1 and Huracan GT3 racing double pack would be perfect! 

I wouldn’t expect a VW WRC car since they pulled out but I wouldn’t say no to a Polo WRX car especially with Kristofferson winning the world title last year.  

Anyone who grew up in the 80s and enjoys the Speed Champions line would love to see a Lamborghini Countach.  That and the Pontiac Firebird were well known during those years, of course with thanks to the Cannonball Run and Smokey and the Bandit movies.  I am utterly convinced that either of these two would fly off the shelves if they were produced, especially if they looked good without the racing stickers, because I suspect a lot of people would want the street versions.  

6 hours ago, AFOLguy1970 said:

Anyone who grew up in the 80s and enjoys the Speed Champions line would love to see a Lamborghini Countach.  That and the Pontiac Firebird were well known during those years, of course with thanks to the Cannonball Run and Smokey and the Bandit movies.  I am utterly convinced that either of these two would fly off the shelves if they were produced, especially if they looked good without the racing stickers, because I suspect a lot of people would want the street versions.  

Yes please!

21 hours ago, Cyclone_37 said:

I hope so, there's nothing I'm aware of that indicates this theme will be ending, and my local ToysRUs have been almost completely sold of these sets for a while, seems like once they restock they fly off the shelves. Also I really want a Speed Champions ZR1

14 hours ago, BimmerBoy said:

I hope, and think, so.  There lots of great possibilities, and this theme does well with sales as far as I can tell.  Japanese cars have not been done at all.  Mercedes' and Audi's lineup of road cars could be explored.  BMW and Lamborghini are strangely absent from the theme. A classic Corvette needs to be done, and they already have a blue print for that with "Lola" from a Marvel Iron Man set.  Jaguar, Rolls Royce, Bentley, Mini, Chrysler have great material. 

Thanks for your responses! 

8 hours ago, AFOLguy1970 said:

I'd prefer a Ferrari Testarossa, but a Countach would be a damn fine alternative.

On 2/27/2018 at 5:35 AM, Kape H2O said:

I've been waiting for Lamborghini to arrive to the theme since its beginning, and yeah, I don't know why we haven't seen that brand yet either. The former Racers theme did have two Expert scale Gallardo sets back then, so I don't know what's going on exactly. Despite being a subsidiary of Volkswagen, perhaps Lego still has to reattain a separate license for the Lamborghini brand if it had expired from then?

On 2/28/2018 at 1:57 AM, Brickprawn said:

I was half expecting Lamborghini to be in this year’s line up. A Diablo GT1 and Huracan GT3 racing double pack would be perfect!

On 2/28/2018 at 4:35 AM, carlo.fadel said:

There are also italian police version, if they will ever make any huracan..

I've previously made a custom version of the GT3 Huracan, though it would be nice to see an official SC version.

31207179681_09323f246a.jpg

Gad, every new view angle, makes me like that Mustang less. That last one from Jang's video makes it appear somewhat comical, like a Cars set almost. 

So I want to get these new set because I love classic cars. 

Does anyone happen to know when the next double VIP will be? I thought they usually ran one in March. 

2 hours ago, julesvincent said:

Just get the set and mod it with a few parts, it's worth it:

https://flic.kr/p/21MT7wm

I did the same with swapping the pony stickered slope for the panel. 

My original plan was to swap the roof/windshield from my Bullitt MOC over to the new version but it wasn't so easy. Instead I moved the wheel arches and the front and back ends to my MOC.

By accident when moving the arches I actually shortened it too. 

yWpEYky.jpg

qW7nwyG.jpg

T53o8nl.jpg

5 minutes ago, julesvincent said:

Thank you for your pics @CaptvirgilHilts! I will definetly use some of your Ideas for my mod. Any thought about adding a window to the back? ;)

Saw your Flickr gallery, a lot of good ideas. I would ideally change the 2X4 slopes to 1X4s and put a black 2X4 or a trans-black panel in the middle. BUT the 1X4 doesn't come in dark green so my thought was to just user a sticker either the one from the set or the bigger one from the blue mustang set. 

4 hours ago, Johnny1360 said:

Gad, every new view angle, makes me like that Mustang less. That last one from Jang's video makes it appear somewhat comical, like a Cars set almost. 

With this set Company is making fool of us. Let's buy this year Lepin's  originals instead.

2 hours ago, CaptvirgilHilts said:

Saw your Flickr gallery, a lot of good ideas. I would ideally change the 2X4 slopes to 1X4s and put a black 2X4 or a trans-black panel in the middle. BUT the 1X4 doesn't come in dark green so my thought was to just user a sticker either the one from the set or the bigger one from the blue mustang set. 

Thank you! But I don‘t really like Stickers ;) I will try 2 1x3 slopes on the sides and a black 2x3 in the middle and then the 2 2x4 slopes as the trunk. I will add a pic to my flickr as soon as its done. I like your grey line above the round pony and will try to implement that!

2 hours ago, Luckyy said:

With this set Company is making fool of us. Let's buy this year Lepin's  originals instead.

1) is Lepin doing originals? From what i know they just either rip off lego designs, or MOCs found on the internet. Either way, I think clone brand discussion is banned here

2) Im no fan of the mustang, but lets not overreact here people, especially with the stickers it is not exactly a pinacle of design, but there have been far worse SC sets before (The mustang GT, 1st year McLaren and the new Fiesta spring to mind, the Audi R8 wasnt great either, and the 720S i only bought to complete the line), and even those i would rate as worth the money. 

For now it looks like ill be giving both Fords a miss, but if at some point i want my lego car fix and have 20 bucks to spare ill just pick up the mustang, mod the white from the sides and put it next to the mustang GT.

I just wish lego would get their distribution here in the netherlands under control, SC sets have been available in neighbouring countries for about a week, but i cant find them anywhere over here, and probably wont for another week, the big news is that the technic sets from january are finally showing up in shops consistently...

Oh don't get me wrong, I will still be getting the Mustang, along with all the rest of the line, maybe just not right away. 

I have become quite fond of the Speed Champions sets lately, stickers and all. 

So I ordered them all last night. But what was odd they had the listings but no images, and zero promo email, just some other LEGO ip’s for a few days from now email. In fact, I think I’ve only ever seen one promo of a SC set since the new wave of licensed cars...

20 hours ago, CaptvirgilHilts said:

Added two more pics in the Gallery ;)