Rick

2018 Speed Champions Sets - Rumours and Discussion

I found the blocky nose of the Fiesta is much less ugly and more subtle than it seemed in the leaked photos.

Edited by SDRFormula1

1 hour ago, vectormatic said:

the 488 is a mess colour wise, using coloured bricks ruins the flowing lines of the colours on the real car, and the blue is just one colour too many, the stickers then take away any chance of doing a decent recolour, i hope the gt3 looks better

The real car is also a mess colour-wise. So many different sponsors colours and influences all crammed onto the car. I’ve not liked the WEC AF Corse livery for a few years now. 

maybe a new mould?

27 minutes ago, wilson3a10 said:

car-2018.png?v=7

This probably next year? I wonder how the halo can be built in bricks.

maybe a new mould?

Plus i'm also interested in how they'll do the new rear wing.

1 hour ago, wilson3a10 said:

car-2018.png?v=7

It will probably end up either with a new part or a windshield with stickers

5 hours ago, wilson3a10 said:

I expect a new custom piece would be better, but I've had a go at a brick-built halo (can't make it red though)...

39700800264_9b70a9a3e1_z.jpg

4 hours ago, jonwil said:

When did F1 cars get so ugly?

The halo is little more than a band-aid solution. They'll be looking into Indycar's windscreen solution as the season goes on.

17 hours ago, Brickprawn said:

The real car is also a mess colour-wise. So many different sponsors colours and influences all crammed onto the car. I’ve not liked the WEC AF Corse livery for a few years now. 

Agreed, it is far too busy, but trying to emulate the flowing lines of those blue waves on the sides by brick-building them is just a poor choice on lego's part. There are far better liveries for the 488GTE for them to pick, but im guessing those would come too close to the 488 GT3 look this year, meaning they would have to change from going GTE+GT3 (or combine them in a single set like both 911 sets so far)

All in all im quite torn on the big set, i simply dont know how i would fix the problems with the 488, and i dont think turning the 312T4 into a T2 is an option, stickerwise. I think another selection of cars/versions would have been better, but what can you do?

I really enjoy Jangbricks videos but I can’t help but wonder about his wife, and what she thinks, as what is clearly their living room, fireplace and all, is loaded with legos... every time I watch his videos. But I love how he isn’t sponsored by LEGO and has become so popular on his own. 

Edited by Lawndart

On 24 February 2018 at 8:36 PM, Digger of Bricks said:

If you love this theme for parts, here's an excellent article from New Elementary that breaks down everything new this wave has to offer us for this year, in both molds and recolors!

New Elementary - 2018 LEGO® Speed Champions: Under the Bonnet

I love New Elementary! Thanks Mr Bricks!

17 hours ago, Blk69 said:

So I think I am going to pass on set 75889 (ultimate Ferrari garage) and here is why

1) Its priced high, same price in US as in Europe so even more expense over there.  

2) Really only like the 488 GT3, going to get it, the 68 Mustang and the 911 Porsche set instead.  IMO $60 for these 4 cars is better than $100 for the Farrari set. Wish the stand alone 488 GT3 was also in racing multi colors.

3) Really don't have any display room for the Ferrari garage.  Have a little race track on my layout and its getting full.  If I wanted a garage, IMO the Porsche 917 set last year was better.

That said, I hope it sells well.  Glad TLG is offering these.  Waiting the series to continue.   How many of you are planning on purchasing this set?

After seeing Jangs review im quite sticker shocked, 841 parts, and i get to pay 110 euros for it.. that is some star wars level price gouging.. And given the fact i have major issues with every model in the set, ill be skipping it. I might end up bricklinking the parts/stickers for the 250 GTO though.

Im kinda bummed about that, since i was really hoping to add a good deal of ferraris to my garage (skipped the Y1 F1 set, and the Y3 FXX K), but right now my to-buy list is the 488 GT3, 919H and the two 911s. Im slightly tempted to see if i can bricklink the parts/stickers for the FXX-K cheaply for my ferrari fix, but given that it has some unique parts, im not expecting a win there.

On the subject of Bricklink, im somewhat surprised that no sellers are splitting up the larger SC sets, lego seems to cluster the sticker sheets nicely, and i would imagine that for instance in the Ford GT set, there would be people interested in buying just the GT40, or just the new GT

On 2/25/2018 at 12:22 AM, Blk69 said:

So I think I am going to pass on set 75889 (ultimate Ferrari garage) and here is why

1) Its priced high, same price in US as in Europe so even more expense over there.  

2) Really only like the 488 GT3, going to get it, the 68 Mustang and the 911 Porsche set instead.  IMO $60 for these 4 cars is better than $100 for the Farrari set. Wish the stand alone 488 GT3 was also in racing multi colors.

3) Really don't have any display room for the Ferrari garage.  Have a little race track on my layout and its getting full.  If I wanted a garage, IMO the Porsche 917 set last year was better.

That said, I hope it sells well.  Glad TLG is offering these.  Waiting the series to continue.   How many of you are planning on purchasing this set?

I had to order mine because Toys R Us decided it was only going to stock 5 of the 6. I might attempt some slight modding on the 488 and 250 GTO. Mainly, to fill the latter’s rear gap and see if it’s possible to move the 488’s cabin forward by one stud.

I love that Ferrari. I think it's the first time they made a modern Ferrari properly, it looks flat and wide.

PS: I'm from Europe. Still waiting...

I picked up the Mustang yesterday. There are some nice techniques and I love the fenders. Beyond that, it’s pretty disappointing on a lot of the details. The grille is a mess and I don’t understand the use of the 1x2 cheese slope for the running pony. It’s just strange. The Nexo shield hood scoop is odd and again, the color scheme is not great. 

I’ll be modding the crap out of this think to make it better. 

Edited by SirBlake

1 hour ago, hachiroku said:

I love that Ferrari. I think it's the first time they made a modern Ferrari properly, it looks flat and wide.

PS: I'm from Europe. Still waiting...

It looks to be just as wide and high as the 458GT2 from wave 1, but the nose is a bit longer. The side and rear also have much more intricate detailing then earlier cars

It looks really good, these kind of sets always make me wish lego included extra stickers in the box to make different numbered cars, i would have no problems picking up two of these (same goes for things like the wave 2 R18, or the 919H) and displaying them as a team

I’ve finished building the 488 GTE from the Ultimate Garage set and done some comparison shots against the old 458. So many new details and techniques on the new GTE! A massive improvement but a complete sticker fest. The end result is effective though. 

https://flickr.com/photos/162890685@N07/sets/72157693898619205

1 hour ago, vectormatic said:

It looks really good, these kind of sets always make me wish lego included extra stickers in the box to make different numbered cars, i would have no problems picking up two of these (same goes for things like the wave 2 R18, or the 919H) and displaying them as a team

I absolutely agree. I was really happy that the Ferrari F1 car from the last wave came with the option of making both cars. Really wish this was common practice with other Speed Champions sets. 

Edited by Brickprawn

This might have been said already, but since there have been new pieces invested into this theme, do you think it is safe to say this theme will run for a fifth year?

11 minutes ago, J4ck said:

This might have been said already, but since there have been new pieces invested into this theme, do you think it is safe to say this theme will run for a fifth year?

I hope so, there's nothing I'm aware of that indicates this theme will be ending, and my local ToysRUs have been almost completely sold of these sets for a while, seems like once they restock they fly off the shelves. Also I really want a Speed Champions ZR1

The F1 Ferrari of last wave had both Vettle and Ricoden numbers, and 2 different colored helmets for each. This is the best way to get us to buy multiple copies with minimal cost. The 4 green pieces for the stickerless Mustang would have also been a must buy for 2.