Rick

2018 Speed Champions Sets - Rumours and Discussion

21 hours ago, Brickprawn said:

Here’s a Flikr album with some comparison shots for you all... https://www.flickr.com/gp/162890685@N07/7TA1fu

Thanks for posting those up. Great to see some actual-build shots. Have to say I'm impressed with the mix of new parts and more accurate/more-interesting/simply-better-looking designs.

The 911 RSR alone has swayed me to a "definite buy" on that set (and a spare 919 to build with its stickers on).

Edited by prototyp

thanks! the new 911 rsr really catches the profile of the real car much better, the old one looks extremely square and blockey all of a sudden

I love the side profiles of the new Speed champions! The new RSR in particular really matches the real life version. I love the shape of the rear end. 

Im going to upload pictures of the green 930 tonight if anyone is interested? 

I then plan to do a Ferrari GTE/GT3 comparison using the original GT2 and the two new ones. I just need to source the sets first! 

I’ve just managed to pick up the fiesta WRC. I can upload some images of that tonight if anyone is interested? I know there’s already been an in depth review of this on brickset though...

I was able to get the Mustang. Could have gotten the other ones as well but this one was on top of my list.

There's a link to the flickr album with pics of the box, the new/rare parts, the earth green parts, the sticker sheet, two pis of the building process and some pics from different angles and the spare parts.

As I don't like stickers, I just applied the Mustang emblem on the front. The round tile in the back is the only printed piece. Let me know if you want to know anything else!

I will definetly mod the sides and see from there what I will be changing ;) And now the pics:

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmfK1RWP

37 minutes ago, julesvincent said:

I was able to get the Mustang. Could have gotten the other ones as well but this one was on top of my list.

Nice, looks awesome! Where did you manage to get it from? 

5 hours ago, julesvincent said:

One retailer here in Germany had it out early. Already made the small side mod:

https://flic.kr/p/239PMpa

that looks sooo much better, thanks for posting. any chance you can provide a list of parts needed?

Edited by McHaleBerg

@McHaleBerg Additional to the set you just need 4 pieces, 2 1x6 dark green plates and 2 1x2 black brackets like the other 4, that are used to build the sides. With the spare 1x2 dark green plates that you don‘t need anymore you can fill the gap underneath the tiles. 

Edited by julesvincent

That Mustang is definitely my favorite of this years line up.

Really looks good with that full green side...  and not using any of the stickers...  I was thinking to apply the central gold striping, but the inflated Ford and LEGO logos ruin the looks to much..

I am also looking forward to the 911 set, and the 250GTO.. Pity it comes in the most expensive set and not as a single car set...  Might build it just using the instructions and parts from the bin.

Edited by J.V.D.

Thanks for posting pics, y'all. That mod is a big improvement.

I'm still disappointed in some of the decisions on the Mustang, but it'll be a good base to make something cool.

8 hours ago, Brickprawn said:

I’ve just managed to pick up the fiesta WRC. I can upload some images of that tonight if anyone is interested? I know there’s already been an in depth review of this on brickset though...

Yes please... it's fun to see these built up (they're not available West Coast US yet afaik) and I'm particularly curious to see the WRC without the sponsor stickers.

Just built the 911 sets, both cars are a real step up from last years wave, especially the 911 turbo. Really is a very nice build and extremely aesthetically pleasing without excessive use of stickers. Clever front end and use of the technic bricks for the headlights. The 911 RSR is also really nice, especially the back end which is really detailed and again a nice build I would agree with previous comments about how they seem a little more fragile than previous years but imo it is worth it for the massive improvements in detail. Both cars are pretty much immediately recognisable for what they are which is a bonus.

2 hours ago, prototyp said:

I'm particularly curious to see the WRC without the sponsor stickers.

Finished off building the WRC Fiesta. Overall I think it looks fairly good. I think it’s hard for Lego to completely get the shape at this scale. I also took some photos with only the light stickers applied. I definitely think it looks much better with the race livery stickers on there. 

https://flickr.com/photos/162890685@N07/sets/72157692898043774

11 hours ago, julesvincent said:

One retailer here in Germany had it out early. Already made the small side mod:

https://flic.kr/p/239PMpa

Wow! It sure does look great without stickers. I think you just convinced me to order 2 of them... now the 68 Camaro has a partner. 

Defiantly looking forward to those Ferrari comparisons. 

Some pictures of the green 911 turbo on my photostream, although some of the shots are with the small front end MOD i made, it was bugging me how the front sat slightly higher than the rear so i lowered the headlights and bumper parts and removed the 1x3 tiles.

IMG_6879IMG_6880IMG_6878

And now with the mod:

IMG_6890

IMG_6891

7 hours ago, vectormatic said:

looks good, does it take standard tyres? im not sure i like the stretched tyres much

IMG_6894

Yes very easily, here it is with the wheels off the 911 RSR from the same set.

Pitty that the lime green color of the technic piece used for the headlights, seems to be a bit different compared to the rest of the car..

I am definitely interested in the Mustang, but like others, will probably not apply much, if anything, in the way of stickers.  I would rather have something like a Steve McQueen Bullitt car more than a race car when it comes to this.  

It would be nice if LEGO included the 4 pieces to make the non stickers version of the mustang. Sorta how they did the street and GT bumper for the AMG. I wonder if the classic Ferrari looks just as good without stickers?

as much as i love ferrari, im really having trouble convincing myself to get that set

the 488 is a mess colour wise, using coloured bricks ruins the flowing lines of the colours on the real car, and the blue is just one colour too many, the stickers then take away any chance of doing a decent recolour, i hope the gt3 looks better

the 250 gto has a nice nose, but the windscreen/roof really look wrong to me, all i can see is the year 2 z28 camaro there, the rear isnt exactly elegant either

The 312t4 meanwhile, just isnt my car, i wouldve loved laudas t2, but the t4 is just ugly to me, the build looks good though, for what it is supposed to be

im totally weirded out by the fact im looking forward to the porsches the most from this lineup, i dont even like 911s :p