Rick

2018 Speed Champions Sets - Rumours and Discussion

16 hours ago, Luckyy said:

Thank you for the answer. I have thought maybe somebody carried out experiments with spray lubricants ( e.g. silicone.....) or heat treatment ( artificial aging) or both .... Maybe Chinese lego's clones have less grip ( are easy playable)?  I can't recommend son to play with dirty toys ( dust on the surface..)

There should be solutions like that to the problem, real life drag racers use some fluid (combo of water and some solvent, maybe petrol/ethanol) to allow for easy burnouts pre-race to heat up the tires. If you are concerned with your kid playing with dusty lego tires, putting anything chemical near them would be my last suggestion though

Anything that hardens the rubber should make it less grippy, but i fear that any such treatment would damage the tires, and potentially not last as long

Chinese clone products are probably the easiest bet here, they use harder rubber

I cant wait for the new sets. I have always liked the speed champions sets, but these felt extra special. I fell in love instantly. Defently picking up the mustang and the Fiesta, and maybe the 919. The Ferrari garage feels really nice but its too expensive. 

Thanks for posting the high res back of the Mustang box. It’s good to finally see the details. The color choices are a little weird on this, and there are definitely some things I’m going to have to mod to fix some issues. 

Glad this exists, but I have to give it a B- as far as design and color goes. 

Edit: also the picture of the real car is a 1967 Mustang. Pretty sloppy. There are easily identifiable details that distinguish them. 

Edited by SirBlake

1 hour ago, SirBlake said:

Edit: also the picture of the real car is a 1967 Mustang. Pretty sloppy. There are easily identifiable details that distinguish them. 

That's kinda funny, I called it a 67' after looking at that picture on the previous page. Had no idea it was a 68'. Thanks for the heads-up.   

Really don’t understand why they put that big LEGO logo on the hood of the mustang... would have looked great without it. 

Ah yes of course it is. The more I look at that car the less I like it, the whole front end just seems cut off or stubby, just not quite right. Of course I will buy it, I always do. For some reason Speed Champions has become one of my favorite lines. I only regret not having any from the first wave. 

According to the Argos catalog, the 2018 Speed Champions sets are exclusive to Argos and are releasing in April (in Argos anyway). Have they always been exclusive to Argos?

3 hours ago, Johnny1360 said:

The more I look at that car the less I like it, the whole front end just seems cut off or stubby, just not quite right. 

Its the back of the roof line that bothers me, a longer curve and cheese slopes look so much better where is this looks clunky. 

6 minutes ago, alfredotwo said:

Does anyone know if the new sets will be available to VIPs mid-month, or do they get released to everyone March 1st? 

Never been VIP release before. So everyone need to wait until March 1st. 

19 hours ago, Lawndart said:

Really don’t understand why they put that big LEGO logo on the hood of the mustang... would have looked great without it. 

with the knight shield on the bonnet.....LOL

43 minutes ago, Luckyy said:

with the knight shield on the bonnet.....LOL

It’s just so strange because non of the other speed champs as that gratuitously blatant about LEGO branding... I mean, it’s clearly a LEGO so...  

18 hours ago, Johnny1360 said:

(...) The more I look at that car the less I like it, the whole front end just seems cut off or stubby, just not quite right. (...) 

I thought so too at first, but then I started reverse-designing it in LDD and it actually looks pretty cool. It's the angle of the SC windshield which is a bit off in my eyes, though. The shorter, steeper one (#2437) looks much better.

On 9.2.2018 at 11:00 PM, MR Swordfish said:

(...) Based on the fuzzy leaked image from a while back, I was really hoping this one was going to include 1x6 earth green tiles (a piece I don't think exists). (...)

Looking at the side panels - isn't that a dark green 1x6 tile? The white part at the center with the "68" on it seems to be a sticker, not a 1x2 white tile. And in terms of sturdiness it would make perfect sense for them to use a 1x6 tile at this point. So your hope might become reality...

Here's where I stand (wish they'd let me upload >100kB pics...):

Bildschirmfoto 2018-02-13 um 07.50.55.jpg

Edited by bricknerd

On 13 February 2018 at 6:03 AM, bricknerd said:

I thought so too at first, but then I started reverse-designing it in LDD and it actually looks pretty cool. It's the angle of the SC windshield which is a bit off in my eyes, though. The shorter, steeper one (#2437) looks much better.

Looking at the side panels - isn't that a dark green 1x6 tile? The white part at the center with the "68" on it seems to be a sticker, not a 1x2 white tile. And in terms of sturdiness it would make perfect sense for them to use a 1x6 tile at this point. So your hope might become reality...

[insert picture here]

Can confirm. Source: my eyes.

On ‎2018‎-‎02‎-‎09 at 5:00 PM, MR Swordfish said:

Wow, thanks for the pic! Based on the fuzzy leaked image from a while back, I was really hoping this one was going to include 1x6 earth green tiles (a piece I don't think exists). Looks like you only get 1x1, 1x4 and 1x8, rats :laugh: This is why my Lotus 49 MOC isn't earth green. Oh well, still going to buy this set!

Actually only exists starting this year first in a Frozen set (41155) and it looks like the Mustang has two with one on each side, just covered by a sticker.

On 2/13/2018 at 12:03 AM, bricknerd said:

Oh man, you're right! I wasn't looking hard enough. Looks like I'll be purchasing two of these sets :laugh:
If a few more parts are released in earth green, I can redesign my Lotus 49 MOC to have more accurate colors. The standard green doesn't look bad, but earth green would still be better.

I managed to get the 919 and 911 sets yesterday, both are fantastic! What really struck me is how much better the new versions of the cars are compared to the previous. The shapes are so much better and the building techniques so much more varied! 

I’ll upload some comparison shots tonight if anybody is interested? 

id love some comparisons! im really looking forward to the porsches, and i wonder how the new 911s stack up to the wave 1 cars

and i hope the sets show up here soon, although given past experience i will probably be waiting for another month

7 minutes ago, vectormatic said:

id love some comparisons! im really looking forward to the porsches, and i wonder how the new 911s stack up to the wave 1 cars

The new cars (that I’ve got so far) are so much better than the wave 1 cars. Don’t get me wrong the first wave are still great but the newest Porsche sets have taken it to another level for me. 

I’ll see what I can get sorted tonight in regards to some comparison shots. 

9 hours ago, Brickprawn said:

The new cars (that I’ve got so far) are so much better than the wave 1 cars. Don’t get me wrong the first wave are still great but the newest Porsche sets have taken it to another level for me. 

I’ll see what I can get sorted tonight in regards to some comparison shots. 

Awesome! Looking forward to those shots! It does appear that LEGO loosened up on there building restrictions on this next wave. Are they as solid? Or are there small bits that can more easily be knocked off?

Here’s a Flikr album with some comparison shots for you all. For me new the cars look best on the side profile and on the rear end of the 911 RSR. I would also say the aerodynamic details of the new 919 is night and day compared to the older version. 

2 hours ago, Lawndart said:

Are they as solid? Or are there small bits that can more easily be knocked off?

I wouldn’t say they’re quite as solid but they’re not exactly flimsy either. It’s a good trade off. 

https://www.flickr.com/gp/162890685@N07/7TA1fu