Rick

2018 Speed Champions Sets - Rumours and Discussion

1 hour ago, MR Swordfish said:

Hi, made an account just to point something out here! Has anybody noticed that the green Porche Turbo in the new wave isn't using Speed Champions rims? It has the SC tyres, but the rims are the wider ones that have been around for a much longer time. Interesting way to get the rim to poke out of the side of the tyre!

Yes I noticed too. It looks like the same wheel and tyre combination as on the Joker's purple lowrider set.

21 hours ago, AllanSmith said:

Yes I noticed too. It looks like the same wheel and tyre combination as on the Joker's purple lowrider set.

Ah, so it is! I suppose this should also mean the reverse is possible, and a variety of other tyres should fit on the Speed Champions rims.

Edited by MR Swordfish

I'm seeing 2x2 triangular tiles in blue and black on the Rally Car (rear wing sides and in front of the rear fenders). I assume these are new parts for 2018. Have they been seen in any other new sets yet?

20 minutes ago, BrickMonkeyMOCs said:

I'm seeing 2x2 triangular tiles in blue and black on the Rally Car (rear wing sides and in front of the rear fenders). I assume these are new parts for 2018. Have they been seen in any other new sets yet?

Havent seen them anywhere but Speed Champions.

Looks like the official pictures have been released 

https://www.thebrickfan.com/lego-speed-champions-2018-official-set-images/

I really like the Mustang and the Porsche 911 sets, pity the 250 GTO isn't sold in a (cheaper) single car set..

1 hour ago, Legocitycustoms said:

Ow man, I hated the Ford Fiesta WRC 75885 at first glance, that nose !

But the back of the box shows the nose without the lights making it much,much smoother.

I have a hard time believing that is the best light-rack they could design.

Despite its racing graphic stickers, the 1968 Mustang Fastback is still my favorite set of this wave. But, considering, the 250 GTO in the Ultimate Garage set looks very nice too. :classic:

5 hours ago, BrickMonkeyMOCs said:

I'm seeing 2x2 triangular tiles in blue and black on the Rally Car (rear wing sides and in front of the rear fenders)...

Also looks like one of those Junior "Cars" rear wing pieces in black for the wing flap (with the Ecoboost sticker)... and 2x1 wedge-cut curve slopes in a few colors (black, white, dark blue)... some great dark blue bits... Quite a few interesting bits in this set. Gonna have to buy a few of these.

Edited by prototyp

My thoughts:

The 911 Turbo uses simple 1x1 studded plates for the bumper holders, looks absolutely weird and not SC-like, the ducktail spoiler also looks rather thick for what it should be., im digging the brick built headlights though, brick built detail trumps stickers every day.

The mustang will probably go sticker-less for me, the logos on the hood make it unbelievable as a real historic race car, and the racing stickers dont seem to have any essential details on them, although the white banner on the door seems to be part brick, part sticker...

The 488GT3 looks good, the nose is a good bit longer then on eht 458GT2, so im wondering how the side profile looks, but the build looks good so far, theyve even included some green to match the mirrors on the real #63 car, but the black on the side skirts and spoilers should have been purple:

Scuderia-Corsa-Ferrari-488-GT3.jpg

The 919, what can i say? Im stoked to get another LMP1 car, if lego includes alternate stickers for a #1 and #3, i would be sorely tempted to buy multiples (same goes for the 488GT3)

The Ferrari garage, im quite puzzled by the 488GTE, two 488s, especially so close in versions in seperate sets just seems weird, and to me it just doesnt have the same status as the 250GTO and 312T4, but i will happily add it to the lineup, the 488, 911 RSR and last years Ford GT will make for an awesome le-mans GTE display. The Ferrari garage is also the absolute first time im tempted to display the decor pieces in a SC set, i might end up integrating all my SC Ferrari cars and this set into one big display

This is going to be a wallet-hurter though, its the first time im pretty sure ill buy every set in the wave, ive skipped the big €80-100 sets before, but three kick megablocks ferraris is too much for me to resist, considering dutch pricing ill probably be dropping €220-240 unless im really patient.

5 hours ago, Tahu said:

On the Ford Mustang's hood, isn't that a Lego logo?

Pretty clearly...

Screen Shot 2018-01-28 at 12.50.29 PM.png

2 hours ago, Chewk said:

Pretty clearly...

Screen Shot 2018-01-28 at 12.50.29 PM.png

Yeah I figured. It's the only model that comes with that logo. Obviously because it will be the 50th anniversary for that model.

I've always been a fan of the Speed Champions line but this years offerings are outstanding. Best year yet in my opinion. I normally purchase the single car sets except in the case for the Ford 1966 GT40 and 2016 GT (75881) which was a must have. The Ferrari garage (75889) and the Porsche set (75888) are stunning this year... Can't wait to pick them up.

The hires pictures of the Mustang that have now surfaced show the new fender elements in more detail. They don't seem to be as much lower compared to the old ones as I thought (6 plates high instead of 7) but the lower 2 plates don't protrude beyond the body and are nicely curved inward instead. Like it.

Edited by bricknerd

Same procedure ... Cars too narrow and much too tall, but well, it's Speed Champions. The series has had quite an impact on car moccing both in good and in bad ways - we see more and more 6w+ cars with that inglorious 4-wide windscreen which rarely looks good (that's why you hardly see any front views of them). On the other hand we get a lot of great stickers and quite a few interesting parts for our own purposes. Some thoughts on this batch:

• From my point of view as a dedicated modder of SC sets the Ferrari Garage is very interesting - a downsized version of the GTO would probably be a nice addition to the "Speed Champions Classics" in minifig scale (Porsche 917K and Ford GT40 so far).
  • The 312T (which one is it exactly?) looks very nice, too (look at the different tire sizes, did we have this before?). Maybe this is something to be turned into a smaller version to complete this series (also based on SC, but considerably smaller - with different tire sizes):
    35895156010_89b4572430_m.jpg
  • A third interesting model is the Mustang, mostly because of its colour - for film fans without stickers, of course ... :wink: However that will be a tough one - probably not all the necessary parts exist in dark green to turn this into a well-proportioned minifig scale model. 

Anyhow I'm looking forward to at least these two sets.

Edited by ER0L

I’m pleased to see the biggest set include 3 cars, vs a bunch of set play pieces in this years lineup.  

But would also like to see a size between SC and their larger cars to get slightly more detail and proper proportions. But I can also understand the higher price points and licenses might be harder to sell in big numbers, or would they? 

10 hours ago, ER0L said:

Same procedure ... Cars too narrow and much too tall, but well, it's Speed Champions. The series has had quite an impact on car moccing both in good and in bad ways - we see more and more 6w+ cars with that inglorious 4-wide windscreen which rarely looks good (that's why you hardly see any front views of them). 

Precisely why I mod Speed Champions cars to be 8 studs wide. They always look better, and it eliminates the issue of production cars that seat at least two people side by side having a centered minifig driver.

4 hours ago, Lawndart said:

I’m pleased to see the biggest set include 3 cars, vs a bunch of set play pieces in this years lineup.  

But would also like to see a size between SC and their larger cars to get slightly more detail and proper proportions. But I can also understand the higher price points and licenses might be harder to sell in big numbers, or would they? 

about 10 years back there were some mid size cars, ive got an fxx and f430, building techniques might have improved, but back then the detail level was rather lacking, and the 430 looks far too boxy for what it should be

last years turbo track racer from the creator line was a cool car, but im not sure making a proper licensed model that size/part count would look good compared to for instance the stunning f40

id buy them anyway though, lego cars are my weak spot

5 hours ago, SirBlake said:

Precisely why I mod Speed Champions cars to be 8 studs wide. They always look better, and it eliminates the issue of production cars that seat at least two people side by side having a centered minifig driver.

That's one solution. Personally I prefer for scale reasons to stick to 6-wide for minifigure cars. To correct the distorted SC proportions this then means lowering the height and shortening the length, and swapping out SC wheels and fenders for city parts.

5 hours ago, vectormatic said:

about 10 years back there were some mid size cars, ive got an fxx and f430, building techniques might have improved, but back then the detail level was rather lacking, and the 430 looks far too boxy for what it should be

Yes, that was a great series of 1:17 scale models - Enzo, F430, FXX, Gallardo - and I'd love to see more of them. The earliest models were very basic, but they gradually improved in details and functionality. The F430 was also over-reliant on stickers, but it's a great model for modding to today's MOCing standard. Mine's looking pretty good now, though I still need to get around to adding opening doors - okay, now it has opening doors.

Edited by BrickMonkeyMOCs