Rick

2018 Speed Champions Sets - Rumours and Discussion

There is no reason SC couldnt survive with a new lead designer, there is plenty design examples in the existing sets to draw from, and in the end these sets arent terribly complicated anyway, as long as SC keeps selling, i see no reason to worry

13 hours ago, KLF said:

Do you think guys that this is the last wave of SC? I hope NOT. But... I'm afraid.

I was surprised when we did learn we were getting a third year for the theme, and likewise when we learned we were going to see a fourth year. Currently now, I feel comfortable enough to think that the theme is going to stick around for awhile, but that's probably when I'll be proven wrong.

4 hours ago, FerRory said:

Anyway before we had LEGO Racers, which were followed up by Speed Champions, which meansĀ if Speed Champions stops we have a good chance we get anotherĀ car theme.

Preferably, I'd like to see the Speed Champions theme become a subtheme under a revived Racers theme. That way, Speed Champions always has a better chance of coming back around if the subtheme were to take a few years off to make room for other subthemes.

I think Speed Champions is only sold in certain retailers and thatā€™s also limiting. If anyone can find sales data or a mention in a shareholders meetingĀ that would mostly answer the question of whether they stay or go. But Ferrari has been a mainstay of LEGO so they will always have something. AĀ lack of new manufacturers this year could be telling... But loosing a manager isnā€™t a big deal at LEGO. No offense, but I bet someone could just ask him how LEGO sees the brand. I bet itā€™s a lot more to LEGO than a series of licensed kits, and more about being associated with an industry and key brands and how that looks on legos corporate profile. After all, LEGO loves to say how they are the worlds leader in tire manufacturing... andĀ this series reaches beyond the typical LEGO fans and thatā€™s pure growth. Ā 

But I digress, as a race car driver in real life, and a crazy career having nothing to do with racing, legos are a sort of relaxation ā€œtherapyā€ andĀ speed champions are one of the only interests I have in LEGO beyond one-off special sets like the Saturn 5 and their big ships... talk about a kit that is WAY past due... We really need a new massive ship.

17 hours ago, KLF said:

Do you think guys that this is the last wave of SC? I hope NOT. But... I'm afraid.

I don't think this is the last of SC. The expense of making new molds for the new triangle small tile and the new shortened mudguard (fender) for this theme will see it around for a while. It is my favourite theme. I used to drive Ford's, and Ferrari's and Porche's are my dream cars so am pleased to see more of them. It is also a good source of parts for many of my vehicle MOC's.

I've just had a thought about the shortened fenders coming in dark green.... At last! I'll finally be able to build this thing: 1966-jaguar-xj13.jpg

Yes!!

2 hours ago, RacerRabbit said:

I've just had a thought about the shortened fenders coming in dark green.... At last! I'll finally be able to build this thing:

That's just beautiful.Ā :blush:

10 hours ago, Brick Lover said:

I hate the neon green car in set 75888.

Yeah, the lime green is a bit of an odd choice, but apart from that Iā€™m very excited for the new lineup, the bigĀ Ferrari set looks great!

2 hours ago, Tron Of Black said:

Yeah, the lime green is a bit of an odd choice, but apart from that Iā€™m very excited for the new lineup, the bigĀ Ferrari set looks great!

Yeah.

If you mean the lime green car - it's a Porsche 911 from 80's. I guess it's nice. The question is if it was possible make it more rounded. Maybe...

2 hours ago, Startbrickingtoday said:

Just revealed!

Ā 

This obviously isn't a real set. It's a MOC. It's a very good MOC but a MOC nonetheless.

3 hours ago, RacerRabbit said:

This obviously isn't a real set. It's a MOC. It's a very good MOC but a MOC nonetheless.

The pieces are old, old prints, the stickers used are placed over more than piece per sticker, screams fake news. Nice creation, good techniques.

Just now, FerRory said:

We almost got a car dealership! Check out the LEGO Designer video:Ā 

Here's also a presentation with the designer where he shows the initial rough prototype for that dealership.

Ā 

43 minutes ago, FerRory said:

We almost got a car dealership!

Good thing they didn't go for it. I hate dealerships with a burning passion.

Actually no, I don't hate dealerships by that much, but there are just as many bad eggs as there are good ones. Though, because this is a LEGO dealership, I'd say they're all gonna be okay.

8 hours ago, Startbrickingtoday said:

Thanks RacerRabbit, Godesigns and J4ck.... you saw the humor of my post. I will not post again @ this serious Topic.

Nah no problem, good buildĀ :thumbup:

In hindsight I saw the humour, maybe start a new thread if you want to have a laughĀ :wink:

On 2017/12/29 at 4:08 AM, RacerRabbit said:

I wish it wasĀ real set from lego though

True. But will Lego model their 2019 SC F1 cars on that? They often check forums and YouTube for some inspiration to subtly incorporate into their sets!:wacko: