Rick

2018 Speed Champions Sets - Rumours and Discussion

Thanks for mentioning it!

the sets look great! 

The Ferrari Garage is an open set including finish bow. Does the finish bow exists out of new pieces? 

The picture is not so sharp, but i would guess the Ford mustang and Porsche 911 have transparant bricks as lights. 

21 hours ago, wilson3a10 said:

Is that the 1980 Ferrari 312T5?

hL1t9Rw.jpg

YCcu0wD.png

HocPE6S.jpg

You actually got the big Ferrari set correct with all these pics.

Just now, FerRory said:

The Ferrari Garage is an open set including finish bow. Does the finish bow exists out of new pieces? 

Ha! Actually, those are the new rollercoaster 45° curve pieces introduced in the Joker Manor set. Brilliant reusage of them to say the least. :laugh:

Just now, XAxles said:

You actually got the big Ferrari set correct with all these pics.

Im not 100% sure on the sportscar, i cant find the green stripes (or side number) to confirm the #71 (or #51) 488GTE, but the old F1 car looks like a shoe-in.

This lineup is looking brilliant, the fact that we get a 919H as a small set makes me 100% OK with skipping the large porsche pit last year, but im affraid i wont be able to skip this years big ferrari set :wub:, my wallet is weeping already. And ill somehow need to make space for an extra 9 cars in my display

Well, from what I can see, I like how the Mustang Fastback turned out, with its color choice of Earth Green. Personally though, I would have preferred if it weren't a racing version of the car, but I guess you would just simply leave off those particular stickers.

Interesting sets, lack of licenses really is covered by the diversity of the lineup. The 911 RSR really looks different than previous 911 models, as do the 488’s, though I’m surprised we have 2 racing versions. But the 919 seems a bit like a filler, it’s just so similar to last one, despite knowing how much the real car has evolved. The focus on historic cars is really cool and classy. But as much as I’d prefer proper buildings for bigger sets, I understand the open sets have more playability. It also looks like the Ferrari Garage folds up like the porsche pits did, the ropes look like they snap onto the front of the lift.   

Why is it that leaked images are like ufo footage? Always low res, phones don’t even have resolutions so low :P

Edited by Lawndart

3 hours ago, vectormatic said:

That is the wrong 488, this is the GTE (Run by AF corse in WEC), not the GT3

Could it also be a T2? For me personally the T2 is much more iconic due to the lauda/hunt episode

I hope so. But by the look of the side pod, it looks more like a T4 / T5.

Forgot one thing. Enzo Ferrari liked Gille Villeneuve much. And G.V. drove the T4, T5 too. :laugh:

For me the 919 looks better than the Audi R18 (2014). I hope there is a toyota TS050 too. These 2 cars may be the last cars competing in the LMP1 group in WEC programme because it is dying.

2 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Well, from what I can see, I like how the Mustang Fastback turned out, with its color choice of Earth Green. Personally though, I would have preferred if it weren't a racing version of the car, but I guess you would just simply leave off those particular stickers.

Looks like some black and white need to be swapped out for green too.

3 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

There is now a leaked catalog spread for all the sets for the Speed Champions theme on Instagram under #legoleak.

I love it when new colours come out for the SC mudguards (fenders) that I can use in MOC's. Now we get dark green and lime green to add to the dark blue one. ?

1 minute ago, AllanSmith said:

I love it when new colours come out for the SC mudguards (fenders) that I can use in MOC's. Now we get dark green and lime green to add to the dark blue one. ?

Looks like there are some new fender pieces too. Look at the ones on the Mustang, 919 and 250 GTO. They look a little shorter in height than the traditional SC fenders.

Count me in for the '68 Mustang Fastback and the two Porsches (I'm German, after all :-). The GTO looks nice, too, but I probably won't buy the big set just because of it.

Looking closer at the Mustang, the Porsche 919 and the GTO - will we be getting new fenders? They don't seem to go as far down as parts #18974...

EDIT: @RacerRabbit: Two eagle eyes ;-)

Edited by bricknerd

8 minutes ago, RacerRabbit said:

Looks like there are some new fender pieces too. Look at the ones on the Mustang, 919 and 250 GTO. They look a little shorter in height than the traditional SC fenders.

True. On closer inspection of the photo I have to agree with you. They will still look good on my future MOC's.

Here's my verdict on the sets so far:

Mustang: Still kinda disappointed with the lack of GT road car. Oh well. At least they coloured it dark green so I may live out my Lego Bullitt fantasies.

Fiesta: Very nice addition! Good to see the SC fenders in dark blue and it's even better to see a way to get the white wheels much easier. And the white wheel covers. I'll be making another rally car or two with them i'll bet.

488 GT3: Meh. I guess it's an ok addition. I can tell straight away that the design is different from the 458 GT2 from 2015.

919 Hybrid: It's different from the 2016 car. The windscreen looks further forward than it does on the old 919 model. Sadly, Porsche have once again pulled out of the WEC so this set makes a nice farewell set.

911s: Good to see an old 911 immortalised in bricks. Is it in lime green too? I kinda predicted the SC fender piece would come in lime. The RSR looks okay too. I like the trackside bit too.

Ferrari Garage: Now this is very nice indeed! I love how it uses the newly introduced rollercoaster track pieces to make a thing to drive through and the addition of the 250 and 312T is especially worth mentioning. The 488 GTE can go with the GT3. I mean, the Porsche 911 GT set from 2015 had two different 911 race cars in it but that was a cool set. The way the 250 is made could inspire me to use the dark blue fenders to create a Shelby Cobra Daytona Coupe. The 312T looks to be Gilles Villeneuve's car. Could take some work to successfully transform it into Niki Lauda's '76 car so I may recreate a scene from Rush but i'll see what I can do.

Edited by RacerRabbit

37 minutes ago, AllanSmith said:

I didn't even think about that part when I initially saw the image. :classic:

1 hour ago, RacerRabbit said:

The 312T looks to be Gilles Villeneuve's car. Could take some work to successfully transform it into Niki Lauda's '76 car so I may recreate a scene from Rush but i'll see what I can do.

Now that would be brilliant, its such a shame that lego is so reliant on stickers for the SC line, and those stickers are hard to come by

Making a 312t2 without this set is going to be hard or impossible

I saw said image earlier today, decided not to mention it because leaking is wrong. Please don't encourage leaking. I'll wait for the official images before publishing my verdict.

Just now, J4ck said:

I saw said image earlier today, decided not to mention it because leaking is wrong. Please don't encourage leaking. I'll wait for the official images before publishing my verdict.

I understand. I've saved it for now. I'll be waiting for the official images too, I want to see how they did the old 911 Turbo's "Ducktail" spoiler.

Just now, RacerRabbit said:

I understand. I've saved it for now. I'll be waiting for the official images too, I want to see how they did the old 911 Turbo's "Ducktail" spoiler.

I do apologise, I don't like sounding off hard, but this time I failed. Ducktail spoil hmmm? I'll google the car then.

Is that the lime green car?

Just now, RacerRabbit said:

Or whatever this spoiler is called: PORSCHE-911-Turbo--930--2991_52.jpg

13 minutes ago, AllanSmith said:

Due to the size of the 911 spoiler it was called a whale tail ?

Whale Tail! That's it! Yeah, I want to see how Lego tackled that on the older 911.

Do you think guys that this is the last wave of SC? I hope NOT. But... I'm afraid.

Edited by KLF

I am also afraid. I read on a LEGO blog that Craig Callum stopped working for LEGO. Craig Callum is/was the Design Manager for the Speed Champions theme at LEGO> I checked his Linkedin profile and saw that he worked as LEGO Design Manager till October this year. Not sure what he is doing now. 

Anyway before we had LEGO Racers, which were followed up by Speed Champions, which means if Speed Champions stops we have a good chance we get another car theme.