Rick

2018 Speed Champions Sets - Rumours and Discussion

2 cars makes sense if the Garage is a proper building and not just a cut-away. Many great Mocs for a Ferrari garage have popped up over at LEGO ideas. I’m really curious if it would be done up enough to reside next to the other LEGO buildings. The cars are the right scale, but for $99? Including license? Can it afford to be enclosed? I guess we’ll see soon enough. 

There could be a third car, maybe it just hasn't been identified yet. And the 488 GT "O?" could be the 288 GTO. I mean, there is a 488 GTO coming. But the Speed Champs range works more on cars from the previous year. Like the Ferrari F1 car released this year is the car they raced last year.

55 minutes ago, RacerRabbit said:

But the Speed Champs range works more on cars from the previous year. 

Except when they partner with the manufacturer to do a simultaneous release like they did with the McLaren 720S. Ferrari and LEGO are pretty tight.

I'm still not convinced it's going to be GT cars rather than an F1 superset, but if it is, the classic car will certainly be the 250 as originally reported, not the 288. The 250 GTO is probably *the* most highly regarded sports car of all time.

11 hours ago, RacerRabbit said:

Like the Ferrari F1 car released this year is the car they raced last year.

That is because this years F1 cars were revealed in ~february, that is not enough lead time to release sets on march 1st, and F1 cars are kept very very secret for competitive reasons

The 720s was another case, obviously lego had inside knowledge before the reveal, considering the lego set dropped right after

The Speed Champions team built this one-of-one custom model especially for Ken as we are such massive fans. It uses only standard @LEGOparts from the Speed Champions assortment. It is not for sale, and at this time we have no plans to produce it. 

See the above quote from the original post, I don't think they will release the Hoonicorn.

2 hours ago, FerRory said:

See the above quote from the original post, I don't think they will release the Hoonicorn.

Bet it's the same deal for the Ford GT. Craig Callum--the ultimate MOC-maker...

16 hours ago, Lawndart said:

2 cars makes sense if the Garage is a proper building and not just a cut-away. Many great Mocs for a Ferrari garage have popped up over at LEGO ideas. I’m really curious if it would be done up enough to reside next to the other LEGO buildings. The cars are the right scale, but for $99? Including license? Can it afford to be enclosed? I guess we’ll see soon enough. 

About Lego Ideas..... this garage was REJECTED :-( Only reason....... it was Ferrari and they have already a license. Now i know why... hmmmmm)

There's no need to apologize to me. I never share online sources because I prefer to keep them intact, but if someone finds them, then that's their prerogative. In this case I had several sites in different languages backing these up.

I may not have a track record in Speed Champions or Town news, but I do have some experience/reliability in SW and large-scale figures (CCBS). Regardless, no one is at fault for doubting the list. No worries. :)

Edited by Azani

3 hours ago, Startbrickingtoday said:

About Lego Ideas..... this garage was REJECTED :-( Only reason....... it was Ferrari and they have already a license. Now i know why... hmmmmm)

That’s a wonderful build, but what’s good about LEGO ideas is it inspires Offical LEGO. Like the classic rally cars, great builds, LEGO won’t “steel” them but the popularity of the ideas builds might have convinced them to do a licensed rally car. The ideas garage I saw had the 250 and FFX I think? But the name “dream garage” definitely points to new and old so it’s very likely we’ll see some of that other ideas garage inspiration in the incoming kit. 

31 minutes ago, XAxles said:

Nope, that's the 488 GT3 car. If it is what I think it is, I think we'll see this car.

Yeah, the loose set is the GT3 you linked (which i wonder about how it will stand out from the 458GT2), but Azani said the big Ferrari garage includes a 250GTO and a "488 GT", which would make sense to be the upcoming GTO

The cars in the big set are so far the only somewhat unknown factor here, and off course the exact looks of for instance the 911s etc..

1 hour ago, vectormatic said:

Yeah, the loose set is the GT3 you linked (which i wonder about how it will stand out from the 458GT2), but Azani said the big Ferrari garage includes a 250GTO and a "488 GT", which would make sense to be the upcoming GTO

The cars in the big set are so far the only somewhat unknown factor here, and off course the exact looks of for instance the 911s etc..

He also said he was unsure of the name, which we now believe to be called the Ultimate Ferrari Garage and from the original information leak was said to have 3 cars. Maybe something both legendary and little more modern like the F40 or F50?

I made a blog post about Speed Champions statistics and found out that the average number of pieces of the small sets have increased from 159 pieces in 2015 to 181 pieces in 2017. Let's hope the 2018 sets have even more pieces :) 

7 hours ago, FerRory said:

I made a blog post about Speed Champions statistics and found out that the average number of pieces of the small sets have increased from 159 pieces in 2015 to 181 pieces in 2017. Let's hope the 2018 sets have even more pieces :) 

prices have also gone from 15 to 18 euros in my country, im fine with current piece counts, as i dont want to pay 20 bucks each

On 16/12/2017 at 9:43 AM, FerRory said:

They said the exact same about the Ford set that had the 1966 racecar and the 2016 racecar but still made it. It has speed champion stickers, it'll probably will be made.

On 16/12/2017 at 1:44 PM, Azani said:

There's no need to apologize to me. I never share online sources because I prefer to keep them intact, but if someone finds them, then that's their prerogative. In this case I had several sites in different languages backing these up.

I may not have a track record in Speed Champions or Town news, but I do have some experience/reliability in SW and large-scale figures (CCBS). Regardless, no one is at fault for doubting the list. No worries. :)

I'm still gonna apologise for doubting, sorry sir!

@vectormatic I did not check the prices that much, but Brickset.com reported the same price for the small sets over the years. I just check for for The Netherlands, the the small 2015 sets were 14.99 and 2016 sets were 17.99 euro. So seems the prices indeed increased for some countries. I will update my blog post.

@J4ck Let's wait and see.

In Australia they have always been about $20 in toy stores, but they have always been $22.99 on legoshop.com.au. Anyway i'm looking forward to the ferrari 488 GT3 to add to the other 6 GT cars that are in the speedchampions line?

2 hours ago, FerRory said:

@vectormatic I did not check the prices that much, but Brickset.com reported the same price for the small sets over the years. I just check for for The Netherlands, the the small 2015 sets were 14.99 and 2016 sets were 17.99 euro. So seems the prices indeed increased for some countries. I will update my blog post.

@J4ck Let's wait and see.

yup, although the price increase may have just been a general increase for my country, i saw a direct correlation between the extra parts in 2016 and the higher price

22 hours ago, vectormatic said:

1. Huh, so there might actually be a GTO.
  2. I do think I know what those 911s are, actually. The RSR is this, and the Turbo could be this.

that rsr is indeed the obvious one, the turbo would be awesome, much better then another new 911

regarding the gto, i think a 488gto would be a weird choice for the big set, considering the gt3, but that set is still a bit of an unknown, id prefer an older car, like a 288gto or f40

2 hours ago, Lawndart said:

The RSR is the new mid engines 911 that runs in the US IMSA series. The motor needed to be moved in from the traditional rear configuration so they could put a large rear defuser. Porsche had a major aero disadvantage otherwise. 

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-shows/los-angeles-auto-show/a31586/this-is-porsches-mid-engined-911-rsr/

Not exactly needed, but it does give us an idea as to how we might see the model be constructed, if the past RSR/GT3-R Hybrid set is to go by.

7 hours ago, Lawndart said:

The RSR is the new mid engines 911 that runs in the US IMSA series. The motor needed to be moved in from the traditional rear configuration so they could put a large rear defuser. Porsche had a major aero disadvantage otherwise. 

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-shows/los-angeles-auto-show/a31586/this-is-porsches-mid-engined-911-rsr/

i know, i dont follow imsa, but i do follow wec/le-mans, where the same car comes out

It is an interesting thought about how much it will look like the older 911’s. I mean it can’t change much or it’ll be to inconsistent with the brand, but at the same time, the old ones are 2 years old now...