Rick

2018 Speed Champions Sets - Rumours and Discussion

There is a leak in 4chan from a catalog, we gonna get.

Ferrari: 4 cars, 2 sets.

Ford: 2 cars, 2 sets

Porsche: 3 cars, 2 sets

Edited by hachiroku

7 hours ago, hachiroku said:

Are they just the same blacked out box preliminaries that SvL had described earlier, that is, no box art yet?

13 hours ago, hachiroku said:

By that calculation. My predictions are that

Single Cars

2x Fords

1 Ferrari

1 Porsche

Playsets

Porsche will have one with 2 cars

Ferrari will have one with 3 cars. 3 cars in 1 set! Wow!

6 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Are they just the same blacked out box preliminaries that SvL had described earlier, that is, no box art yet?

No box art yet.

On ‎2017‎-‎09‎-‎16 at 5:45 AM, bricknerd said:

Love your V2! Intrigued by the above V1 video and pictures I'd started designing a V2 myself - same idea of using face-to-face wedge plates on the side panels to mimic the grey striping :-)

The turbos are the hardest part to get right I took another shot:

dF2sMoX.png

14 minutes ago, CaptvirgilHilts said:

The turbos are the hardest part to get right I took another shot:

Maybe not as 'realistic' but the coffee mugs win for sheer cheeky cleverness.

I like the coffee mugs too. Exciting line up, I’m ok with more from all three brands. 

Hoonicorn is a fun idea, and nothing would make me happier than a first-gen Mustang since I have one myself. That said, with no offense intended to the original designer, there’s not much of the original character of the car in that MOC. Partially because the Hoonicorn is so wildly modified, but I’d love to see more 60’s pony car detail mixed in there if possible. 

There's also the chance that we might start more older cars from these manufacturers.

Outside of the Ferrari 812 Superfast, Ferrari 488 GT3, 2018 Porsche 911 GT3, maybe 2017 Ford GT road car, maybe a Ford Shelby GT350R, and the Hoonicron, I can't think of many more newer cars that Lego haven't done already. I doubt this is going to happen, but, I also doubt that people wouldn't love a classic 911/911 GT1/Carerra GT, 1965/1967/1969 Boss 429 Mustang, or an 288 GTO/F40/F50/Enzo in Speed Champions. Had there been one more manufacturer including in this wave, then I could see mostly newer cars. However, as it stands now, I'm not sure how they would produce this wave with just brand new cars.

Kids would still enjoy them, because cool cars are cool cars, be it brand new or twenty years old. Kids would also learn about these old cars as well, especially so if one parent or relative is an enthusiast. AFOLs into cars would love seeing old gems of the automotive world in Lego minifigure scale. I'd say the odds of older cars being more frequent in this theme are getting more likely.

Edited by TheLegoPerson9

On 9/23/2017 at 4:23 PM, TheLegoPerson9 said:

There's also the chance that we might start more older cars from these manufacturers.

Outside of the Ferrari 812 Superfast, Ferrari 488 GT3, 2018 Porsche 911 GT3, maybe 2017 Ford GT road car, maybe a Ford Shelby GT350R, and the Hoonicron, I can't think of many more newer cars that Lego haven't done already. I doubt this is going to happen, but, I also doubt that people wouldn't love a classic 911/911 GT1/Carerra GT, 1965/1967/1969 Boss 429 Mustang, or an 288 GTO/F40/F50/Enzo in Speed Champions. Had there been one more manufacturer including in this wave, then I could see mostly newer cars. However, as it stands now, I'm not sure how they would produce this wave with just brand new cars.

Kids would still enjoy them, because cool cars are cool cars, be it brand new or twenty years old. Kids would also learn about these old cars as well, especially so if one parent or relative is an enthusiast. AFOLs into cars would love seeing old gems of the automotive world in Lego minifigure scale. I'd say the odds of older cars being more frequent in this theme are getting more likely.

Agreed, the only way i see 4 Ferraris working without older models is if the 3 car set is another 2 F1 + truck set or something, and after the wave 1 F1 truck, Wave 3 merc set and seperate Ferrari F1, i dont think that would be very likely.

Just imagine the 3 car set being a 250 GTO, 288GTO and 599 GTO in a museum setting or something...

1 minute ago, hachiroku said:

I got today the new Mclaren and I noticed the alternate hubcaps in this sets are from a Ferrari F40 or a 288 GTO:

*pics were here*

From your fingertips to the LEGO Gods' ears.

Edited by K_Tiger

On 9/24/2017 at 11:11 AM, vectormatic said:

Agreed, the only way i see 4 Ferraris working without older models is if the 3 car set is another 2 F1 + truck set or something, and after the wave 1 F1 truck, Wave 3 merc set and seperate Ferrari F1, i dont think that would be very likely.

Just imagine the 3 car set being a 250 GTO, 288GTO and 599 GTO in a museum setting or something...

If we're talking a museum setting, I would imagine a 250 LM, 250 GTO, and and another car from the 250 series. The 288 and 599 are awesome, but if we were to get a musuem setting, three of Ferrari's legendary 250 series seems like a better fit.

Personally, I think an Enzo and/or a Carrera GT would make great Speed Champions sets. IMO, it is only a matter of time before older cars start to appear in the $15 sets, especially if they're sticking to a select few automakers. 

12 hours ago, TheLegoPerson9 said:

If we're talking a museum setting, I would imagine a 250 LM, 250 GTO, and and another car from the 250 series. The 288 and 599 are awesome, but if we were to get a musuem setting, three of Ferrari's legendary 250 series seems like a better fit.

Personally, I think an Enzo and/or a Carrera GT would make great Speed Champions sets. IMO, it is only a matter of time before older cars start to appear in the $15 sets, especially if they're sticking to a select few automakers. 

Thats a decent idea, my line of thought with the 250, 288 and 599 GTO combo would be that it shows all the relatively special GTO models (although the 599 is a bit debatable), and would offer some nice period variety

Im not a huge fan of the Enzo/360/430 period of Ferraris, but it would be awesome to see them show up in SC, although i'd hope for an F40 and 288/208/328 first

12 hours ago, McHaleBerg said:

Ideas set with both the F40 and 288 GTO:  https://ideas.lego.com/projects/35dd9ed5-8382-46b2-946a-4244ca48d845

maybe it'll happen...?

Existing themes are expressly banned from Ideas, so that set has exactly 0 chance, considering how long Ferrari and Lego have been teaming up

That's not to say we wont see those cars in the SC lineup though

6 hours ago, vectormatic said:

Existing themes are expressly banned from Ideas, so that set has exactly 0 chance, considering how long Ferrari and Lego have been teaming up

That's not to say we wont see those cars in the SC lineup though

that's why i posted, may be a glimpse of what they would look like in SC form. obviously we won't see that Ideas set

Somebody in this thread mentioned the F812 as a candidate for one of the expected Ferrari SC sets for 2018. So, maybe...

Lego Ferrari F812

Edited by bricknerd

How about a Jaguar? Would LEGO go for the E-Type?:look:

And since Lego seem to need to include open wheeled racing cars how about Formula E?

On 10/10/2017 at 3:46 AM, SDRFormula1 said:

How about a Jaguar? Would LEGO go for the E-Type?:look:

And since Lego seem to need to include open wheeled racing cars how about Formula E?

Not this year obviously, and Formula E isnt big enough media wise i think, and while porsche/audi are in there, its still mostly a spec class, so the cars arent really that much actual porsche/audi

And besides, given how hamstrung FE is by battery tech right now, i dont think "speed champions" is apt for that kind of car.

After all the Ferraris and Porsches, Speed Champions is getting pretty boring to me. Also after all the German cars wich were released, and from Lego creator. Loved the red van and the beetle, but Lego is getting too conservative right now. Just like the boring VAG cars today. I would like to see something like: Lotus, NSU, Lancia, Rally cars, Subaru, Jdm cars etc. 

I can look forward to the 2018 creator surf van though (I saw the leaked image).