Rick

2018 Speed Champions Sets - Rumours and Discussion

Are speed champions usually even in the retail catalogs? In the USA they are retail exclusive to Toys R Us so they might not include them in the retail catalog

3 hours ago, blurrkup said:

Looking through the leaked catalog, I couldn't see any new Speed Champions sets, unless we haven't been shown the full catalog yet.

Speed Champions generally releases in March, doesn't it? Same with Elves (also not featured). So it's possible the March releases just aren't in this catalog.

Just now, Lyichir said:

Speed Champions generally releases in March, doesn't it? Same with Elves (also not featured). So it's possible the March releases just aren't in this catalog.

But the April releases are in this catalog.

21 hours ago, blurrkup said:

Looking through the leaked catalog, I couldn't see any new Speed Champions sets, unless we haven't been shown the full catalog yet.

@Sir von Lego is very reliable so my guess is we haven't seen the full catalog.

On 22/8/2017 at 2:38 PM, blurrkup said:

IIRC, SC sets weren't in the catalog with the winter sets. They were leaked around February, with all the summer waves.

In New Zealand we don't get SC sets until the second catalog in July. So I agree that leaked pictures won't appear until next year.

By the way, the Hoonicorn in the last page is the I'm a conformist! MOC:

EDIT: Ok, fail. He made it from the instagram pic, not his model.

Edited by hachiroku

Last year I built a Ford GT40, reverse engineered from a LEGO You Tube video. Then LEGO brings one out.

This year I built a Ford Hoonicorn, reverse engineered from a Facebook video. So maybe LEGO will bring this one out.

ford_hoonicrn_front.jpg

Stickers are  from a Nexo Knights set :)

13 hours ago, AllanSmith said:

Last year I built a Ford GT40, reverse engineered from a LEGO You Tube video. Then LEGO brings one out.

This year I built a Ford Hoonicorn, reverse engineered from a Facebook video. So maybe LEGO will bring this one out.

ford_hoonicrn_front.jpg

Stickers are  from a Nexo Knights set :)

Ha! Great use of Nexo Knights stickers!

13 hours ago, XAxles said:

This came up. I guess we can expect a McLaren MCL32 soon.

<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/plugins/video.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2FLEGO%2Fvideos%2F10155022180458403%2F&show_text=1&width=560" width="560" height="459" style="border:none;overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowTransparency="true" allowFullScreen="true"></iframe>

Unfortunately not the MCL32. It's the Ferrari SF-78H..

Edited by RacerRabbit
How do you insert Facebook posts into comments? This has gone badly wrong for me and I can't delete it.

23 hours ago, RacerRabbit said:

<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/plugins/video.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2FLEGO%2Fvideos%2F10155022180458403%2F&show_text=1&width=560" width="560" height="459" style="border:none;overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowTransparency="true" allowFullScreen="true"></iframe>

Unfortunately not the MCL32. It's the Ferrari SF-78H..

This makes sense, SvL mentioned there will be 2 Ferrari, 2 Ford and 2 Porsche sets. Although isn't this life size model based off this year's Lego F1 Ferrari set?

3 hours ago, J4ck said:

This makes sense, SvL mentioned there will be 2 Ferrari, 2 Ford and 2 Porsche sets. Although isn't this life size model based off this year's Lego F1 Ferrari set?

This year's Lego Ferrari F1 car is the car that raced last year. The life sized model is this year's car so who knows? Maybe there will be another Ferrari F1 set next year. Although I'd rather they have another Ferrari road car instead if that's the case.

3 hours ago, RacerRabbit said:

This year's Lego Ferrari F1 car is the car that raced last year. The life sized model is this year's car so who knows? Maybe there will be another Ferrari F1 set next year. Although I'd rather they have another Ferrari road car instead if that's the case.

I would like a Ferrari road car without that 1x2 plate with the vertical bar on the front, I personally don't like it.

So, 2x ford, 2x ferrari and 2x porsche..

Im mildly dissapointed, considering those are the three brands which already got the most coverage, ford has 5 cars over two years, ferrari 6 and porsche 5

Ford wise, a road going GT would be easy, but rather lame, considering we already have the new GT, the Hoonicorn would be awesome though, otherwise i think there might be a historical model involved, considering something like the 2017 fiesta in ST guise probably wouldnt look right in SC form.

Ferrari, im guessing a 488 and 812, or maybe the new porto-fino, the FXX-K is covered, and doing an updated F1 car doesnt make much sense. I do wonder how likely a 488 GT3/GTE is though, considering there is the 458 GT2 set from wave 1, so maybe a road version? We did get the LaFerrari and FXX-K after all

Porsche, 911 GT2RS seems a shoe in, otherwise the 718 is the only new thing not yet covered. If lego could get the OK for a dual license set (hasnt happened right?) they could do a 959 vs F40 set? If they are going to stick with a select few brands, they will be bound to delve into historical cars, considering there arent enough new significant models coming out of Ferrari/Porsche each year to fill out a new wave of sets.

Either way, ill end up getting the four small sets, and the medium set as well, provided it contains at least two good cars and not too much overhead

18 hours ago, vectormatic said:

If lego could get the OK for a dual license set (hasnt happened right?) they could do a 959 vs F40 set? If they are going to stick with a select few brands, they will be bound to delve into historical cars, considering there arent enough new significant models coming out of Ferrari/Porsche each year to fill out a new wave of sets.

Short of a Testarossa (in white, natch), a minifig scale F40 is what I really want to see from LEGO.

On 9/4/2017 at 4:47 PM, K_Tiger said:

Short of a Testarossa (in white, natch), a minifig scale F40 is what I really want to see from LEGO.

Agreed, i have the bigger one, and it is absolutely awesome, having it in SC scale would be very cool

Hell, id love a legendary ferrari lineup in SC style, 288GTO, F40, F50 and Enzo

EDIT: prediction time!

Big set: Ferrari F1, consisting of two cars, a big spectator stand (with green-white-red kerbs, monza style), and a marshal post and a small fast food stand.

Medium set: Ford, The hoonicorn, a Fiesta WRC car, and good old Kenny from the Block, some minor props (oil drums etc..) to set up a small gymkhana course

Small cars: Porsche 911 GT2RS, Ford GT (road version), Ferrari 812 superfast and the 2017 Porsche 911 RSR GTE car.

Edited by vectormatic

I wish they would include an older car with the smaller sets, but, I doubt that's gonna happen in 2018. It would be pretty sweet if we got something like a 911 GT1 or a 250 GT0 as a $15 set. 

I also think Ferrari should get a Le Mans theme set like Porsche and Ford did. If so, the modern car would likely be the 488 GTE, but, I am not sure what the classic car would be. Maybe a 250 LM?

On ‎2017‎-‎09‎-‎05 at 1:59 PM, vectormatic said:

Medium set: Ford, The hoonicorn, a Fiesta WRC car, and good old Kenny from the Block, some minor props (oil drums etc..) to set up a small gymkhana course

This would be an instant buy and I'm specifically holding off bricklinking the hoonicorn in hopes of it. 

36 minutes ago, CaptvirgilHilts said:

This would be an instant buy and I'm specifically holding off bricklinking the hoonicorn in hopes of it. 

Yeah, ive got a second GT40 in the collection because lego said they werent going to make it, then lo and behold, we get a ford GT set...

I dont mind though, and if i were you id just bricklink the hoonicorn, you can always recycle most of the speed champion specific bits into a different car, or just mod it into a stock(ish) old mustang. 

EDIT: just found out Ken Block has a Hoonicorn V2, complete with twin turbo 1400hp v8, you can always mod the bricklinked version into that if lego do come out with the original hoonicorn in a set

Edited by vectormatic

5 hours ago, vectormatic said:

Yeah, ive got a second GT40 in the collection because lego said they werent going to make it, then lo and behold, we get a ford GT set...

I dont mind though, and if i were you id just bricklink the hoonicorn, you can always recycle most of the speed champion specific bits into a different car, or just mod it into a stock(ish) old mustang. 

EDIT: just found out Ken Block has a Hoonicorn V2, complete with twin turbo 1400hp v8, you can always mod the bricklinked version into that if lego do come out with the original hoonicorn in a set

Admittedly after I did the first one in stud.io I took it and made the second one, on my mobile now ill try and post my renders of them tomorrow.

EDIT: The Hoonicorn twins:

evhezE7h.jpg

Edited by CaptvirgilHilts

Cool, some minor notes on the v2 though, i dont think it still has side pipes, since the turbos just have dump pipes straight up/backwards, and i think it should be possible to make some small turbo like shapes in the slots in the hood

On 13.9.2017 at 1:42 AM, CaptvirgilHilts said:

Admittedly after I did the first one in stud.io I took it and made the second one, on my mobile now ill try and post my renders of them tomorrow.

EDIT: The Hoonicorn twins:

Love your V2! Intrigued by the above V1 video and pictures I'd started designing a V2 myself - same idea of using face-to-face wedge plates on the side panels to mimic the grey striping :-)

Wish I could post the LDD render, but that archaic 100kB limit won't let me ;-(

EDIT: Here it is:

Ford Hoonicorn V2 in Lego

Edited by bricknerd
Link added