Rick

2018 Speed Champions Sets - Rumours and Discussion

On 7/28/2017 at 8:11 PM, Digger of Bricks said:

Being subsidiaries of Volkswagen AG, Lamborghini and Bentley are both possible for Lego, but I think Bentley may be a bit too stuffy for the theme.

Now as far as Aston Martin goes, it is a privately owned company, though Mercedes has a five percent stake in it thanks to their engine development partnership. Now I can't remember where I have read this, but an Aston Martin DB5 was up for consideration back in 2008 by Lego as a model that was to be voted for by fans against a 1964 Mustang, a VW Beetle, and some other car. The majority of fans voted for the Beetle, so we got 10187 Volkswagen Beetle.

That is interesting. I never knew that. If people had voted for the DB5 the 10187 would have been the DB5 instead of a VW Beetle. Things would have been very different if we voted for the DB5, but since you said that Aston Martin is a privately owned company, I can only imagine just how different Lego would have been today, had the licensing between Lego and Aston Martin succeeded and if that Aston Martin DB5 model got made.

Another idea I have is this Porsche 919 Le Mans prototype car: 

625x300_51394026855.jpg

The closest thing I could find to this is the Audi R18 e-tron quatro

Edited by Perry
Wanted to say something else

3 hours ago, Perry said:

That is interesting. I never knew that. If people had voted for the DB5 the 10187 would have been the DB5 instead of a VW Beetle. Things would have been very different if we voted for the DB5, but since you said that Aston Martin is a privately owned company, I can only imagine just how different Lego would have been today, had the licensing between Lego and Aston Martin succeeded and if that Aston Martin DB5 model got made.

I'm not certain, but I believe I might have read that in the 2008 book 50 Years of the Lego Brick by Christian Humberg.

Speaking of Porsche, I saw today on the road a newer 911 Targa, and thought how that could make for a nice SC set, though it may be too casual of a sports car for the theme.

11945962986_8bb77b3acd.jpg

On 7/31/2017 at 10:42 AM, Digger of Bricks said:

I'm not certain, but I believe I might have read that in the 2008 book 50 Years of the Lego Brick by Christian Humberg.

Speaking of Porsche, I saw today on the road a newer 911 Targa, and thought how that could make for a nice SC set, though it may be too casual of a sports car for the theme.

11945962986_8bb77b3acd.jpg

That sounds like a great idea. I have never seen this car before, and it looks cool. So we might be able to get a lot of new Lego cars. But yeah it looks a bit too casual for me to be made to a Speed Champions set as it looks a bit ordinary.

On the other hand have you ever thought of Koenigsegg? maybe an Agera R or S would do it.

2011-Koenigsegg-Agera-R.jpg

Or the Agera S, which looks like this (although it's an Agera S1):

agera-s1.jpg

But then again, being that you said something about privately owned companies, I will never know what Lego will think. Not only that, but because Koenigsegg was founded in Sweden and not Denmark.

Ferrari, Porsche and Ford sounds nice, thanks for the info. Hopefully there are some classics among them suitable for modding purposes. :wink:

Regarding the Porsche 919 prototype mentioned above: We do have it already in set 75876 (though a bit outshone by the Porsche 917 in the same set, that's true).

On 31/07/2017 at 0:55 AM, Perry said:

625x300_51394026855.jpg

The closest thing I could find to this is the Audi R18 e-tron quatro

ER0L's correct that we already had that 919 Hybrid in 75876. But if they were to release a set with that car again, it'd be in it's 2017 guise.

ec3e280b-b927-4825-9241-c34507aaace4_tea

As you can see, it looks a tad different than the 2015 car we got in 75876. As for the other Porsche set, I'm placing my bets on a 911 road car.

I hope Sir Von Lego manages to get some set names soon.

Edited by RacerRabbit

With Porsche having pulled out of the LMP1 class I'd be surprised to see another 919 released. Of course, if anyone wants the 2017 919 Hybrid you can always build this version:

35378240416_5371c0e1a6_m.jpg35870650185_638a1a5375_m.jpg35031208324_daff64ebd8_m.jpg

1 hour ago, J4ck said:

No offence but did you even read the post @madejp86, don't worry though I've done this before now.

Lego has done this before with this years GT40 set. They showed a video and picture and stated the set would not come out. What happened? The set came out. I will locate the photos of that later today.

Nice find @madejp86! :classic:

Looking at it, I'm pretty sure that could be an official set, perhaps it could be paired with a modern Mustang like 2016's Camaro drag race set. 

It's funny, but @RacerRabbit had speculated the possibility of a Hoonigan car in one of the Ford sets earlier on this topic.

I'm just taking wild guesses here but here's what I think could be plausible. As stated before, I think a $30 Mustang duo set or even a Shelby duo set is likely. The largest set could also end up being Ford.

Ferrari 812 Superfast

Ferrari 488 GT3

Porsche 718 Cayman/Boxster or the newest 911.

Some sort of newer Porsche race car.

Alternatively, the largest set could be Ferrari or Porsche, and a Ford is one of these smaller sets. 

On 12 August 2017 at 4:56 AM, madejp86 said:

I remember this before the GT40 set was official:

Anything that has Speed Champions stickers is happening

Ok I believe you. But why lie to us? I hate being lied to.

On 8/12/2017 at 10:56 AM, madejp86 said:

I remember this before the GT40 set was official:

Anything that has Speed Champions stickers is happening

That eventually got made into a Lego set, 75881.

Edited by Perry
Needed to post correction

I think (and also hope) that the Roborace "Robocar" will be part of the Speed Champions 2018 line up.

Why? Well, all the promotional photos of the car show the Lego Speed Champions logo at the rear of the car. See their website: http://roborace.com

preview.jpg

14 hours ago, Mr Hobbles said:

I think (and also hope) that the Roborace "Robocar" will be part of the Speed Champions 2018 line up.

Why? Well, all the promotional photos of the car show the Lego Speed Champions logo at the rear of the car. See their website: http://roborace.com

Hmm, that is interesting. I mean, why else would it feature a Lego Speed Champions endorsement, other than the possibility that there is a set rendition coming down the line.

Hey, nice find by the way! :classic:

16 hours ago, Mr Hobbles said:

preview.jpg

Wow, that is cool! I would love to get the Nvidia stickers. I hope Lego makes this as I never thought of this before and this looks awesome too. That would look so awesome in Lego form. 

18 hours ago, Mr Hobbles said:

[insert picture here]

But @Sir von Lego said there will be 2 Porsche, 2 Ford and 2 Ferrari, unless it's like the celebratory ford set which was the 7th, so maybe this is a special 7th set?

On ‎11‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 4:43 AM, madejp86 said:

I am assuming this will be one of the fords:

How cool would a Ken Block Gymkhana set be, with a little guy on a LEGO Segway! They could do his Fiesta too, load of bollards and hoardings to skid around, I think that would work really well!

75889 I'd assume will have two cars. Could be Porsche (their 919 and new mid-engine 911 RSR, or 919 and 962C), could be a Ferrari F1 lorry (again?), could be Chevy (C7.R and Camaro GT4.R), could be a new manufacturer.

75888 could max out at two cars + small scenery, though a 1-car/playable object is equally possible. I'd say this is a Ford set.

I'll hazard guesses for 3/4 of the singles: 812 Superfast, 991 GT2RS, GT350R. Are we sure we only have Ford, Ferrari and Porsche around?

If its more Ferrari, more Porsche and more Ford, I cant see myself buying any 2018 Speed Champions sets (unless they do something totally unexpected and do a Ford Falcon as one of the Ford sets, an Aussie Ford Falcon of some sort would be the only Ford set I would be even remotely interested in :)

Looking through the leaked catalog, I couldn't see any new Speed Champions sets, unless we haven't been shown the full catalog yet.