Sign in to follow this  
ReplicaOfLife

LDD suddenly not working anymore

Hi,

I wanted to do some work on my new project, but LDD has thwarted my plans: Whenever I try starting it, I get this error message:

"Lego Digital Designer has stopped working

A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you when a solution is available."

I already tried restarting my computer and reinstalling LDD to no avail.

Does anyone have any ideas what might cause this, and how it could be solved?

Do you also have the same problem with other software? Did you try it on another computer? What Windows version did you use? I checked my LDD version (macOS), it works so it is probably due to something at your computer. Windows has a habit of storing stuff at different places that is still there after removing software (this is less uncommon on macOS and if it occurs it can be often easily traced), so unless you use additional software that monitors where everything was installed you might be left with orphaned files around the system. 

I'm on Windows 7.

So far, LDD is the only Software this occurs with. I also tried a System Restore to last Sunday (when I last worked with it), also to no avail :sceptic:

The only thing I did since then, ironically, is installing stud.io and LDraw, since I wanted to try them out.

45 minutes ago, RogerSmith said:

I'm on Windows 7.

So far, LDD is the only Software this occurs with. I also tried a System Restore to last Sunday (when I last worked with it), also to no avail :sceptic:

The only thing I did since then, ironically, is installing stud.io and LDraw, since I wanted to try them out.

I'm on Windows 10, and LDD works just fine on my computer.

I might have an idea. Your graphics drivers on your computer might be outdated. On an Internet browser, go to the website of the company that makes your graphics driver. Download the driver in the "Drivers" section, wherever that might be. Then download the latest driver that is made for your system. For example, on Windows 7, it would be a driver that is new and either 64 bit or 32 bit. In system info, check whether your computer is 32 bit or 64 bit. Download the driver for your system, then run the install wizard. You may be required to restart your computer after installation. If this doesn't help, try searching the web. 

Probably there is a video card driver issue. Do you (or someone for you, or windows itself) update your video card recently?

About reinstalling LDD, did you checked if the user data has been removed? Look for an "LEGO Company" directory in your user data folder (type %APPDATA% in the address bar of the windows explorer) and delete it once the software is removed.

You could also try to modify LDD settings editing the preferences.ini file (add the line:

CompatibilityModeLevel=100

if it is not there or replace it if the value is different), increasing the compatibility level.

Edited by Calabar

Thanks for the input, guys.

Unfortunately, so far nothing has helped :sceptic:
I updated the graphics driver (hadn't updated it in quite a while, and LDD worked fine all the time), and also tried the thing with the ldd ini file, but still get the same error.

I'm really baffled as to what may be the cause of this. I didn't change any settings, drivers or the like. It almost feels as if LDD feels insulted that I installed other digital building programs :hmpf_bad:

10 minutes ago, RogerSmith said:

Thanks for the input, guys.

Unfortunately, so far nothing has helped :sceptic:
I updated the graphics driver (hadn't updated it in quite a while, and LDD worked fine all the time), and also tried the thing with the ldd ini file, but still get the same error.

I'm really baffled as to what may be the cause of this. I didn't change any settings, drivers or the like. It almost feels as if LDD feels insulted that I installed other digital building programs :hmpf_bad:

I just read an article on the web. There are several ways to fix your error. The problem lies with your computer, not LDD. I will link to the article. In my opinion, your best bet is to run LDD in compatibility mode. The way you do this is explained on the site. https://appuals.com/how-to-fix-a-problem-caused-the-program-to-stop-working-correctly/

Well, I never figured out what the cause of this was, and nothing I tried to get it running again worked.

However, I had been toying with the thought of re-installing my OS anyway, so today I went ahead, and violà, LDD is running again, too.