Bregir

Brethren of the Brick Seas (BoBS) Intro Thread, Era II

10 hours ago, Ayrlego said:

Some Mokolei troops - I seem to be into old world NPC building at the moment!

Nice array of soldiers! The janissary looks great and the pandour looks way better than the version I made some time ago. The red cap and cape or more recognizable than the black ones I used. I would've associated them with Mokolei immediately, but I really like the combinations you've made!

(not so) sunny London

Is it ever, though? :grin:

@Ayrlego Fantastic minifigs (as always) and I can attest from our vast array of history books pics that they are as close to the real thing as possible!!! :pir-laugh:

Enjoy old Albion and take care of the seas there if you go on board, for they are tricky and too crowded! 

Edited by blackdeathgr

1 hour ago, Khorne said:

(not so) sunny London

Is it ever, though? :grin:

1) Take a trip to Manchester.

2) Come back and show the proper appreciation. 

Well done. Must be nice. My job entails "rolling in the blood and muck with all the other pigs". I will post some Mokolie Abus gunners. Fun note, the Abus Gun is is actually a small black-powder howitzer. A light mortar with with direct-fire capabilities.

I woke up to 'more war for the wealthy' so i'm I'm a  little bit pissy.

Edited by Jeff of Clubs

14 hours ago, Ayrlego said:

I seem to be into old world NPC building at the moment!

And a big :thumbup: for these. Excellent troops! I particularly like your use of the old plastic cape and princess pointed hat. Great selection of torsos as well. Excellent!

14 hours ago, Ayrlego said:

I'm visiting the UK for work for the next few weeks ... hopefully Colonel Allcock will get out for some sight seeing pictures

Enjoy, and I hope he does! :pir-huzzah2:

22 hours ago, Ross Fisher said:

Don't build Varcoast and Pontillia without getting me involved. 

PM sent.

Currently I have two builds under way back home, one for the Middle Kingdoms and one for the Mokolei with a third planned for the Great Alliance States.

Hello, I have two questions that I can't seem to find answers for :

What do I license a ship designers office as ? (I was planning on having his office and residence being the same building)

My other question is whether or not there is a wood type that is canonically "better"/ stronger ? ( Purely for lore/story purposes, I realize the ship stats can't be affected by the materials used)

3 hours ago, Justsomebrix said:

What do I license a ship designers office as ? (I was planning on having his office and residence being the same building)

Ship designers is probably artisan.

3 hours ago, Justsomebrix said:

My other question is whether or not there is a wood type that is canonically "better"/ stronger ? ( Purely for lore/story purposes, I realize the ship stats can't be affected by the materials used)

Maybe one of our more frequent ship builders would have a more detailed answer but BoBS is pretty realistic in terms of material and such so probably whatever wood was better for real age of sail ships.

9 hours ago, Justsomebrix said:

Since somebody asked a little nerd question, I emerge from my shadowy nerd corner! :pir-grin:

During the age of sails there was almost an arms race about the best wood to use for a ship, with every nation experimenting and spying the others. With the discovery of the Americas and the exploration of East Asia, shipbuilders discovered a wide array of new woods (and of new barnacles and wood worms), and basically went by trial and error: some pines rotted super quickly in sea water, while other woods (cedar, other pines) were super resistant to decay… somebody even built ships completely made up of super expensive mahogany!

A “secret weapon” of the British Royal Navy was the North American oak: the tree is too short for long beams and has weird internal textures, but if correctly cut can make the structural elements of a ship basically cannonball-proof. Moreover, oak planks will shatter far less than the usual pine planks, avoiding a lot of horrible wounds caused by wooden shrapnels.

In game, the best trees for shipbuilding can be probably found Ile De Zeus (Oleander settlement of Astrapi has for this reason a small economic bonus for wood industry/shipbuilding), but there is no real lore about it.