Bregir

Brethren of the Brick Seas (BoBS) Intro Thread, Era II

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, Bregir said:

@LM71Blackbird  @Capt Wolf @gedren_y

I just recently sistershipped two ships (for the Gentleman Privateer) in one build, and it did not seem to cause any issues "reusing" the sistershipping build. The original moc link is of course unique.

So I think we can assume you can use the same build. If I find it causes me trouble with the sheets, I will IMMEDIATELY let you know, trust me! :pir-grin:

Good to know. I'll do and well find out what trouble I can cause! Lol!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

okay, here I am.  

(My life has been utter chaos the last few weeks, and lego always seems to be the first to fall off the todo list sorry)
Got a new laptop, and finally got LDD running on W10. 

so who sunk my ship! (Narwal)

and what do I have to promise Davy Jones to get it back?

 

Greetings
Bart

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bart said:

okay, here I am.

Welcome back!

1 hour ago, Bart said:

so who sunk my ship! (Narwal)

Carno traders

1 hour ago, Bart said:

and what do I have to promise Davy Jones to get it back?

A sistership build :pir-grin:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Capt Wolf said:

Welcome back!

Carno traders

A sistership build :pir-grin:

Thank you.

I'm completely out of touch with everything that happend latley, but hunting Carno traders doesn't sound like a bad idea :P

I found the wreckage!

49590742013_0620794823.jpgBarque Narwal II by Bart, on Flickr

Bart

Edited by Bart
picture?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Captain Genaro said:

The October 2019-February 2020 account summary is now available. 

CG, thanks for getting this processed! However, it looks like there are several glitches:

The "Previous Balance" column appears to be off a line, resulting in the current balances being calculated off the wrong starting number.

My property yield total appears to be for only one turn, not two.

My MRCA income total for the two MRCAs isn't correct. It shows 1720 but should be 2200.

Settlement parity has not updated. Salida Este and Fuerte Unido should be at City status now, with several new properties that aren't showing up in the parity columns.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Captain Genaro said:

The October 2019-February 2020 account summary is now available. 

THE PREVIOUS BALANCE COLUMN IS OFF TWO LINES AT MY LEVEL ( I'm line 215 and my totals are line 217)

9 hours ago, Capt Wolf said:

The "Previous Balance" column appears to be off a line, resulting in the current balances being calculated off the wrong starting number. 

 

So there is a blank insertion between @Capt Wolf and the starting line and one more between @Capt Wolf and me

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While were on the topic of account sheet rectifying, I've got 3 vessels (Puffin, Turaco, and Pelican) that either sunk or were captured still showing up as active under me.

7 hours ago, Professor Thaum said:

THE PREVIOUS BALANCE COLUMN IS OFF TWO LINES AT MY LEVEL ( I'm line 215 and my totals are line 217)

 

7 hours ago, Professor Thaum said:

So there is a blank insertion between @Capt Wolf and the starting line and one more between @Capt Wolf and me

I do believe that this is that case as well. Quinnsville's balance is shown in row 59 but should be the amount shown in row 60 and my balance is shown in row 180 but should be the amount shown in row 182.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, LM71Blackbird said:

While were on the topic of account sheet rectifying, I've got 3 vessels (Puffin, Turaco, and Pelican) that either sunk or were captured still showing up as active under me.

We've got a list of sunk ships over the past year we still need to purge, but ownership of captured ships has been updated, so I'm not sure why that's not reflected in the active ship list.

Also, FYI, the data in the Ship Limit column has been wrong for a long time.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure where to put it exactly - I guess here is a good place to bring it up either way.

I would like to finally rename this settlement from "Proxyville" to "Port Mordo". I will do a build and some story about this in the near future, but would like to have the behind-the-scene forms changed prior to it. That way I can license stuff under the proper name already.

@Bregir @Capt Wolf Who would handle this in the forms and the account summary? Please let me know when it's done. No need to hurry, I just want to know when I can "properly" license there. Thanks in advance!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Darnok said:

No need to hurry, I just want to know when I can "properly" license there. Thanks in advance!

If you start licensing under the new name, we will independently look at these changes for the existing settlement.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/8/2020 at 11:36 PM, Capt Wolf said:

CG, thanks for getting this processed! However, it looks like there are several glitches:

The "Previous Balance" column appears to be off a line, resulting in the current balances being calculated off the wrong starting number.

My property yield total appears to be for only one turn, not two.

My MRCA income total for the two MRCAs isn't correct. It shows 1720 but should be 2200.

Settlement parity has not updated. Salida Este and Fuerte Unido should be at City status now, with several new properties that aren't showing up in the parity columns.

 

Some glitches are present, but I think the listed result are only of the first MRCA. Probably most problems arise due to the insertion of new players and settlements, that shifts some of the lines of 1-2 places. Those spreadsheets work quite well, but the insertion of new lines is quite a issue

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For those of you who may be interested, I have written a semi-detailed timeline of my 2 main SigFigs dating back to 564AE. If you want, you can check it out here:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

It would be very interesting to have a Dutch-inspired faction. I know there is not going to be one, but just a thought, considering how prominent the Dutch were for their relative size. Why isn't there one?

Edited by Beleg the Ranger

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Altonia (NPC nation) is a mix of Dutch and Swiss inspiration.  I'm going to be using some of their mercenaries in my Cat E entry in fact.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Eslandola also has some Dutch inspiration. See Capt Wolf's Weelond, for instance, which is very Dutch inspired.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We deserve our own dutch based faction! :pir_tong2: But on the other hand, I would not have been a Sea Rat than I reckon.....

 

Spoiler

TBH Eslandola became in my view really Spaniard based, except for more republican government. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎4‎/‎19‎/‎2020 at 12:09 PM, Beleg the Ranger said:

It would be very interesting to have a Dutch-inspired faction. I know there is not going to be one, but just a thought, considering how prominent the Dutch were for their relative size. Why isn't there one?

 

On ‎4‎/‎19‎/‎2020 at 12:24 PM, The Sarge said:

Altonia (NPC nation) is a mix of Dutch and Swiss inspiration.

 

On ‎4‎/‎19‎/‎2020 at 12:39 PM, Bregir said:

Eslandola also has some Dutch inspiration. See Capt Wolf's Weelond, for instance, which is very Dutch inspired.

 

1 hour ago, Fraunces said:

Eslandola became in my view really Spaniard based

 

I think originally Garvey was meant to be the Dutch-inspired nation, but we didn't go that way esthetically in the write-up. Because I tend to skew my builds to the 1600s rather than the 1700s, I patterned my little slice of Eslandola after the Spanish Netherlands, hence my Dutch-inspired builds. No faction is meant to be an exact copy of any real-world historical nation, so there's room for interpretation and incorporation of preferred esthetics and storytelling in any faction. For example, some of my Eslandian NPCs sound more Italian than Spanish, again an example of my preference for an earlier historical age as inspiration.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I read somewhere that Corrington was also based on the Swedes... How does that manifest?

Spoiler

My SigFig's name was inspired by the Karls of Sweden

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have concocted a fun(I hope) little topic for BoBs shipbuilders - hope you will join in :pir-classic:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Sir Kingston said:

I read somewhere that Corrington was also based on the Swedes... How does that manifest?

  Reveal hidden contents

My SigFig's name was inspired by the Karls of Sweden

 

I think it's more of a general inspiration than a specific one. I.e. there probably won't be any Corlanders be named Karl Gustav Eriksen (just to give an example of a somewhat Scandi-sounding name), nor will Corrington be the land of ice, snow and impenetrable pine forests. The Enlightenment Swedish (and Danish) inspiration is probably more like a general protestant industrious semi-republican vibe these nations shared (together with the UK), where science has its place and such. Obviously exagerated for fantasy purposes :tongue:.

This contrast neatly with the other major bloc of the time, which were the Catholics (France and Austria primarily), who were -according to the clichés- opulent, traditional and less "popular", but more authoritarian. Obviously, the traditional ancien régime nation in BoBS is Oléon. Same here, even though the Austrian Empire is a general inspiration for Oléon, I doubt you'll see characters named Luitpold Habsburg roaming around anytime soon. You will see the gist of respect for tradition, monarch and faith seep through; which are great foils for the values of Corrington.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Khorne said:

I think it's more of a general inspiration than a specific one. I.e. there probably won't be any Corlanders be named Karl Gustav Eriksen (just to give an example of a somewhat Scandi-sounding name), nor will Corrington be the land of ice, snow and impenetrable pine forests. The Enlightenment Swedish (and Danish) inspiration is probably more like a general protestant industrious semi-republican vibe these nations shared (together with the UK), where science has its place and such. Obviously exagerated for fantasy purposes :tongue:.

This contrast neatly with the other major bloc of the time, which were the Catholics (France and Austria primarily), who were -according to the clichés- opulent, traditional and less "popular", but more authoritarian. Obviously, the traditional ancien régime nation in BoBS is Oléon. Same here, even though the Austrian Empire is a general inspiration for Oléon, I doubt you'll see characters named Luitpold Habsburg roaming around anytime soon. You will see the gist of respect for tradition, monarch and faith seep through; which are great foils for the values of Corrington.

I think this one hits the nail on the head quite well - and would be interested in seeing your thougths on Eslandola as a Spanish/Portuguese + Venetian inspiration.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bregir said:

I think this one hits the nail on the head quite well - and would be interested in seeing your thougths on Eslandola as a Spanish/Portuguese + Venetian inspiration.

Eslandola is trickier to provide a 1:1 comparison. The common denominator between Eslandola's influences is obviously the trade aspect and the gold that is coupled with that. So that makes trade their main characteristic, as is stated in BoBS introduction thread. Spain and Portugal are both textbook examples of early exploration and colonization, which brought both countries immense wealth and a huge head start over the other Europeans during the early modern time. Later, the Netherlands were also a trade powerhouse until England took over their role and Venice is the quintessential (medieval) trade republic.

In terms of government, though, the interesting thing about Eslandola is that, when you purely look at it on paper and ignore the Latin sounding names and Imperial Armada-inspiration, it's actually SUPER close to the Golden Age Netherlands (United Provinces). You have powerful trade companies who run the show, it's a republic, they're crazy good at trade, not really all that traditional or pious (or at least very open-minded), ... all of which contrasts heavily with historical Spain and Portugal, which were both extremely pious, traditional and powerful monarchies.

So visually, Eslandola plays heavily on the popular image of the conquistadores, because that's just the image that is ingrained in everybody when thinking of colonization and early trade empires (El Dorado legends and such); while governmentally it's totally the United Provinces. Venice is only a very small part of the inspiration, as far as I can see. Which also corresponds to real life, because while Venice was huge in the late middle ages, it lost a lot of its power during the early modern times. They kind of got stuck in a Mediterranean slug fest with the Ottoman Empire and couldn't get their share of the global pie :tongue:.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.