Bregir

Brethren of the Brick Seas (BoBS) Intro Thread, Era II

To the Governor of His Most Sacred Majesty, King Philip I, of Oleon's colony of Fatu Hiva on Ile d'Or, 

In response to usurpations and blatant violations of the Laws of the Seas and the Laws of the Empire of Oleon, we hereby request that the pirate vessel Odin's Scorn be seized by colonial authorities and her unlawful prize, belonging to citizens of the Grand Duchy of Prio, Prince Alex, along with all her crew, officers, passengers, cargo, wares, and other affects be returned to her rightful owners posthaste. This wanton act of piracy threatens the free and just navigation of the seas, and we have no doubt that Oleon has no desire to, in effect, condone acts disreputable towards honest trade.

Pablo de la Rosa

Consulate General of the Grand Duchy of Prio

And now for Oleon's response: 

Mister de la Rosa, 

The Empire of Oleon requires that any diplomatic requests and communication from the Island of Romantica take place through the proper Marderian authorities. Your request does not meet this criteria and cannot be considered. 

Jacque Debussy 

@Roadmonkeytj, leadership is taking into consideration your points about shipbuilding rates for PCs and NPCs. It may not be as clean as a formula, and it may be a bit uneven at times, but it will be part of the process.

2 hours ago, Legostone said:

Its not even a months MRCA income for MAESTRO now :wink: The DBs need to go somewhere after all :pir-laugh:

Agreed !! Give some DBs to the rats (not 8000, we are low wage earner :laugh: ) ten times less and we're done... that's a cheaper and faster solution than this you are suggesting

Actually... I think I can match that... :grin:

Captain Nordau - black flag captain - (just because he simply likes this kind of thing :tongue:) hereby officially offers the Sea Rats 8000 DBs upon the condition that they destroy the state of Prio and wipe it off the face of the Brick Seas - to be paid in cash, 5000 upfront, 1500 more if necessary during the course of the attack, and the last 1500 upon completion.  And he might throw in a few hundred more for good measure if y'all get it done with some bizaz, :pir-grin: :pir_laugh2:

Edit: He will also pledge his Class 1, the Frisking Dart, to assist in the annihilation of Prio/Romantica! :laugh:

Oh yes, where is the popcorn!  Wish I had a rogue character, I'd double the offer! :pir-grin:

27 minutes ago, Garmadon said:

bizaz

pizzazz... what backwards planet do you hail from? :pir_tong2:

7 minutes ago, Kai NRG said:

Oh yes, where is the popcorn!  Wish I had a rogue character, I'd double the offer! :pir-grin:

It's not too late to create one :innocent:

10 minutes ago, Kai NRG said:
41 minutes ago, Garmadon said:

bizaz

Let me translate for you: business.

Oh shiny. This change of events is very much to the liking of the WTC. :thumbup:

Edited by Drunknok

23 hours ago, Bregir said:

(...)

So go ahead - make the sea Rats an active player on the diplomatic scene! I would love nothing more :)

Where is said diplomatic scene actually? 
or is it just in pm's?

1 hour ago, Kai NRG said:

Come on - he's a pirate, he's not required to have proper spelling (and is totally allowed to make up words :grin: :laugh:)!

51 minutes ago, Bart said:

It's not too late to create one :innocent:

:excited: :pir-grin:

31 minutes ago, Bart said:

Where is said diplomatic scene actually? 
or is it just in pm's?

It has been pms, open letters, any form of contact, really. Depends on what you want to do.

You contact whoever represents the interest whoever your represent want to do diplomacy with. Can be factions, players, tc's, settlements, etc.

To all Sea Rats:

If you guys are really worried about your power on the Brick Seas, you should really consider going on AMCRA's as they can really increase your power, wealth, and influence on the Brick Seas. If you can tell a good story, or do some great builds with them, you can easily earn powerful BoBS cards, tons of wealth, or influence NPC relations. @MKJoshA, and @Professor Thaum both completed AMCRA's and both were rewarded. (technically, Thaum will be soon :wink:) As someone on the AMCRA committee, I can tell you that AMCRA's are probably the best way to increase your power in the game at the moment. While the Land Combat rules aren't out yet, you could take that 8,000 Dbs and do a Sea Rat AMCRA invading Prio, or go to Mardier and look to help them retake the island, or try to make other allies on the Brick Seas. The only real limit is your imagination here. 

Really, I think AMCRA's are a little overlooked, as they are slow, but considering the rewards we give, I think more people should go on them. (The rest of the AMCRA committee may disagree as it give us more work to do. :pir-laugh:)

So get to it! You've got some time before the next MCRA turn comes up. :pir-classic:

4 minutes ago, Mesabi said:

AMCRA invading Prio

I'm not sure that the AMRCA could handle that, but in general I agree that the AMRCA is an overlooked gem for cool stories and rewards.

Alexport settlement thread added to clarify the current size of the settlement. I'm missing x2 player built residences in the index, if anyone knows where they are let me know and I'll add them.

Regarding the confusion around naming:

Alexport = settlement name

Ilse de Romantica = island name

Grand Duchy of Prio = nation name

7 hours ago, Garmadon said:

He will also pledge his Class 1, the Frisking Dart, to assist in the annihilation of Prio/Romantica!

Excellent! I see I have to invent a rogue character too. :pir-sweet:

28 minutes ago, Ayrlego said:

Regarding the confusion around naming:

Alexport = settlement name

Ilse de Romantica = island name

Grand Duchy of Prio = nation name

And add to that list:

Romantica = name used in the game accounting for licenses and DB transfers

Just wondering where exactly I missed the point that the Sea Rats their intention is to invade Prio? I thought this started as a trade/navy war? :p

3 hours ago, Maxim I said:

Just wondering where exactly I missed the point that the Sea Rats their intention is to invade Prio? I thought this started as a trade/navy war? :p

Our intention was not specifically limited to prio ... The settlement raiding was something pirates "should do" the GM's just so happen to be pushing it out because of the Prio Conflict

3 hours ago, Maxim I said:

You didn't.

Prio attacked innocent searate merchants first. That is where the conflict started. 

The searats asked for monetaire compensation which Prio declined to act upon. Here.

Prio is also the first to cry war by issuing LoM's. (Above)

Edited by Bart
Telephone typing errors

9 hours ago, Maxim I said:

You didn't. It did.

5 hours ago, Bart said:

Prio attacked innocent sea rat merchants first. That is where the conflict started. 

Actually, it started in February, when the Dark Narwhal, Misfortune's Wrath, and The Drunken Monkey attacked a Prio trade squadron and captured the Palmetto (see "More Sea Rats / Corrington Diplomacy in our Future" here). When the Sea Rats snuck out of Jamestown to avoid the Corries seizing the pirated ship, Prio responded in April by sinking the Dark Narwhal and capturing Misfortune's Wrath (see "Prio Gets Revenge" here). In May the Sea Rats responded by refusing to let the Prio ships Peacock and Pearl (coincidentally, these were the other ships in the Prio trade squadron when the Palmetto was captured) leave Bastion, and they have been detained there ever since. Prio refuses to pay for the release of the Peacock and Pearl because they claim it is a ransom for piracy, while the Sea Rats claim it is the cost of an unpaid bar tab!

Just now, Capt Wolf said:

You didn't. It did.

Actually, it started in February, when the Dark Narwhal, Misfortune's Wrath, and The Drunken Monkey attacked a Prio trade squadron and captured the Palmetto (see "More Sea Rats / Corrington Diplomacy in our Future" here). When the Sea Rats snuck out of Jamestown to avoid the Corries seizing the pirated ship, Prio responded in April by sinking the Dark Narwhal and capturing Misfortune's Wrath (see "Prio Gets Revenge" here). In May the Sea Rats responded by refusing to let the Prio ships Peacock and Pearl (coincidentally, these were the other ships in the Prio trade squadron when the Palmetto was captured) leave Bastion, and they have been detained there ever since. Prio refuses to pay for the release of the Peacock and Pearl because they claim it is a ransom for piracy, while the Sea Rats claim it is the cost of an unpaid bar tab!

May I remind you that from the Sea Rats' point of view, everything was settled when we left Jamestown. The port authorities didn't detain us and we went on our way. Did an unfortunate event happen during which a Prio ship happened to end up in the hands of a Sea Rat? Yes, an unfortunate mistake in paperwork handling on my part. We could have given the ship back in good faith, but then again we are Sea Rats so what do you expect? And we MOC'd the vessel in question so really we did the whole Brick Seas a favor by adding another MOC'd vessel to replace the horde of unMOC'd ones out there.

So, with that first event over and done with we must look at what happened with the Peacock and Pearl. They actively attacked Sea Rat vessels who were not flying a Black Flag. Regardless of what happened before, that is an act of piracy and aggression. Even if you want to declare the actions regarding the Palmetto as wrong, you cannot say that Prio's attack on our innocent vessels was called for as 2 wrongs do not make a right. The Sea Rats, understanding that there may be some ill-will as we are still in possession of the Palmetto decided to only request Prio to pay their Bar Tab before leaving. And over that simple tab they have declared war and offered LoMs against us. I cry foul!

The Palmetto, Peacock, and Pearl were attacked in February. In April, Prio responded by attacking the Misfortune's Wrath and Dark Narwhal, both of which were involved in the February attack on the Prio fleet. Neither the Peacock or Pearl were involved in this second attack. As such, from Prio's perspective their attack in April was justified and the current situation surrounding the Peacock and Pearl is simply an attempt to extort money from the ships. 

Apart from an encounter in the most recent MCRA, I can find no other reports of encounters between the SRs and Prio this year.

1 minute ago, MKJoshA said:

May I remind you that from the Sea Rats' point of view, everything was settled when we left Jamestown.

You may. And I can see how the Sea Rats may have thought the matter was settled. But did you really think Prio would say "Oh, they got away. Oh well."? Is that what your reaction would be if someone captured one of your ships?

22 minutes ago, MKJoshA said:

Did an unfortunate event happen during which a Prio ship happened to end up in the hands of a Sea Rat? Yes, an unfortunate mistake in paperwork handling on my part.

And OOC that probably factored into the Corries letting you leave Jameston before they had to seize the ship. But getting away doesn't resolve the matter.

23 minutes ago, MKJoshA said:

We could have given the ship back in good faith, but then again we are Sea Rats so what do you expect?

So we've got a case of the scorpion and the frog? :pir-grin:

2 minutes ago, MKJoshA said:

They actively attacked Sea Rat vessels who were not flying a Black Flag.

What attack does this refer to? The Dark Narwhal and Misfortune's Wrath were considered to be black flagged after they captured the Palmetto. That matter must be resolved with the offended party (i.e., Prio) before they are considered to be in good (non-black flag) standing again. Just lowering the black flag does not remove the status if offending acts have not been resolved.

5 minutes ago, MKJoshA said:

Regardless of what happened before, that is an act of piracy and aggression.

No, quite the opposite. What happened before does matter.

7 minutes ago, MKJoshA said:

you cannot say that Prio's attack on our innocent vessels was called for

Prio attacked the exact ships that had captured a Prio ship the previous month. They were not innocent vessels; the attack was a response to a previous attack.

8 minutes ago, MKJoshA said:

The Sea Rats, understanding that there may be some ill-will as we are still in possession of the Palmetto decided to only request Prio to pay their Bar Tab before leaving

And that was a good negotiating stance, giving Prio a way to get their ships back without having to admit they were paying a ransom.

9 minutes ago, MKJoshA said:

And over that simple tab they have declared war and offered LoMs against us.

And after still not getting admittance of guilt, return of the ship, or payment for it in the matter of the Palmetto, instead you detain the Peacock and Pearl (and note that they were not the ships that sunk the Dark Narwhal and captured Misfortune's Wrath). And now you're surprised that Prio has decided to arm itself against Sea Rat aggression rather than pay the Sea Rats some DBs and say "Thank you sir, may I have another?" That's how Prio sees it.

18 minutes ago, MKJoshA said:

I cry foul!

You could always release the Peacock and Pearl. That's all Prio is asking for: the release of two innocent ships. That would end the whole thing.

53 minutes ago, Capt Wolf said:

You could always release the Peacock and Pearl. That's all Prio is asking for: the release of two innocent ships. That would end the whole thing. 

OK we are going to release the 2 ships... but for Prince Alex we can ask for the bar tab ? :iamded_lol: