Bregir

Brethren of the Brick Seas (BoBS) Intro Thread, Era II

As the deadline for football tournament entries is in its final hours, another mini-challenge begins. It's time for Oktoberfest!

Aaarrr!!! Everyone :pir-triumph:  I am trying to figure out how the game works and read through all the threads but still have some noob questions. (Sorry if this is the wrong thread.)

Does every player need a ship?

What is a ship needed for?

What does MRCA mean?

How new settlements are founded?

Can ships get sunk (by others)? Can settlements get destroyed (by others)?

This is just the place for such questions :pir-huzzah2:

Not everyone needs a ship, but every new player gets a free class one or class two, to get started in the MRCA.

Ships can be used in the MRCA, which is the sea based trading and combat game mechanic, where players, factions, and NPCs send out their ships in the world to trade, privateer, engage in piracy, or go to war. Your faction will help you with the details. If you want your ship to be part of the economic game, and have an impact outside of storytelling, this is where you go.

Settlements are generally founded in coordination with your faction. You can technically create a squatter settlement anywhere, but without support, it may well be taken over by someone at some point.

Ships used in the MRCA can get sunk, either by pirates, enemies, or the weather. You can also have ships that are not part of the MRCA, but they cannot generate funds etc.

Settlements can technically get destroyed or captured, but it is a very rare case, at least as long as you are not at war.

There is a nice little starter guide that I will try to find a link to. I would suggest looking into joining Oleon (bluecoats), Eslandola (Green coats), or Sea rats, as Corrington is currently the most populated faction. You get more chance to have an impact in the other factions.

Here you go:

Welcome aboard!

Thanks guys! I am already on the discord and read through all the threads mentioned (multiple times :pir_laugh2: )

I would like to join Eslandola but have not the parts to build a ship, so for now i would like to stick to buildings. Will post my sigfig :pir-yoda: in the next days (edit: or week) in the Eslandola thread.

Edited by Yperio_Bricks

3 hours ago, Yperio_Bricks said:

Thanks guys! I am already on the discord and read through all the threads mentioned (multiple times :pir_laugh2: )

I would like to join Eslandola but have not the parts to build a ship, so for now i would like to stick to buildings. Will post my sigfig :pir-yoda: in the next days in the Eslandola thread.

Awesome, we'd be glad to have you (in the greatest and richest and all-around most awesome faction of all! :pir-huzzah2:)! :pir-grin:  And that's no problem, we have several other builders here that are lubbers definitely mostly build land stuff!  Without those there'd be nowhere to sail to! :pir_laugh2:

We'll make sure to get you into our group chat once you've officially joined, looking forward to your sigfig and story! 

Dear all,

The court has now started a process (spearheaded by @Garmadon, @Ayrlego, @evancelt, and myself) to automate the EGS and MRCA. We will not make any promises as to delivery, as IT projects tend to, well... get a bit long winded.

However, since we are 3 people very good at not doing any actual technical work, and then @evancelt, we would like to ask whether anyone has the skills and time to assist in the actual development work. As per Evan, the skills needed are:

Regarding developer skills, I think WordPress development in PHP and JavaScript would be great, added bonus for Gravity Forms programming experience. I hope to make it pretty easy to work with through the admin GUI, though.

If anyone is interested and able, please respond here. If we have no luck, I am sure we will manage anyway, although perhaps a bit slower :pir-wink:

Don't forget there's a week to go in the annual Oktoberfest mini-challenge. Plenty of free property license prizes are up for grabs. Get your builds posted soon.

17 minutes ago, LM71Blackbird said:

@Ayrlego can I please get the stats on the ship "Rusty Claw". Quinnsville captured it a while back but I don't have the stats for it.

Thanks!

I happen to know that one. I'll PM you.

It looks like the coalition of OL, ESL, and COR will attack the Lotus around Seawatch soon, which means, per the land combat rules, that the Lotus will soon have to defend themselves. This means a player will have the opportunity to build a defence build for the Lotus, assisting them in their struggle. So if anyone would find that fun, take a look at the El Oleonda coordination thread and consider signing up for this build and start planning. (Of course, consider what the Lotus would IC know, so that one does not metagame by looking at the tactics proposed by OL to its coalition partners, etc.)

Hi folks,

I've had a lot of time away from LEGO recently and I'm trying to get back into it. Officially I haven't yet joined BoBS but I was wondering if someone could please share a Discord link for the LEGO Pirates server so I can have a look around and see more about what's going on?

Thanks!

18 minutes ago, Basiliscus said:

Hi folks,

I've had a lot of time away from LEGO recently and I'm trying to get back into it. Officially I haven't yet joined BoBS but I was wondering if someone could please share a Discord link for the LEGO Pirates server so I can have a look around and see more about what's going on?

Thanks!

Here you go! https://discord.gg/wwhDMyRw6e

Hello everyone :pir-huzzah2:

I have a question: Most islands are largely undiscovered. Who decides where is a river, marsh or a mountain, a native NPC settlement or a landmark? Is it all done by the game runners or do players have some freedom to create the environment for a expedition, a new settlement or any other move of their ships and characters?

5 hours ago, Yperio_Bricks said:

Hello everyone :pir-huzzah2:

I have a question: Most islands are largely undiscovered. Who decides where is a river, marsh or a mountain, a native NPC settlement or a landmark? Is it all done by the game runners or do players have some freedom to create the environment for a expedition, a new settlement or any other move of their ships and characters?

Do you mean that most islands are mostly unexplored? There should be a basic geographic map for each island showing mountains and main rivers, designed by the game runners, but that leave room for players to fill in details -- with an ok from leadership. Is there a specifc island you're looking for info on?

54 minutes ago, Capt Wolf said:

Do you mean that most islands are mostly unexplored?

Yes, that's what i mean. I am interested to learn more about Maldria. There are 3 rivers shown in the west of Maldria in the Punto Sur thread. There are high mountains in the center of Maldria with the highest peaks shown in the central south on the map? Are there named landmarks? Who names for example hills or bays that none of the faction's citizens has seen before? Are there any known locations of native settlements?

I ask all of this because i want to pursue my plans but if would have to ask questions about every tiny detail we all become crazy :pir-laugh::pir-laugh:

Is it possible to track and mark the route of this expedition on the map?

33 minutes ago, Yperio_Bricks said:

Yes, that's what i mean. I am interested to learn more about Maldria. There are 3 rivers shown in the west of Maldria in the Punto Sur thread. There are high mountains in the center of Maldria with the highest peaks shown in the central south on the map? Are there named landmarks? Who names for example hills or bays that none of the faction's citizens has seen before? Are there any known locations of native settlements?

I ask all of this because i want to pursue my plans but if would have to ask questions about every tiny detail we all become crazy :pir-laugh::pir-laugh:

Is it possible to track and mark the route of this expedition on the map?

I had fun making the map of Panarium. To keep it in world I staged a survey of the island by land and sea. Still lots of landmarks to name there - I think players can just make it up and GMs will tell you if you overstepped :pir-grin:

Yeah i would like to create a map of the southeast of Maldria and would like to "explore" and name some things. Here is just a rough sketch i just made.

EDIT: Of course i would follow the established coastline.

maldria-map-19yei5.jpg

Edited by Yperio_Bricks

Hello! As a general rule, the main point is not going too far in things that will be binding for other players, and keeping within a lore frame (if present). Our universe is shaped by stories and builds, so basically the bigger the claim you make, the bigger the effort needed; only very important things actually require the intervention of GMs.

Some examples, based on my in game experience…

-some big things are pre-defined: the position of islands in some unexplored areas were already chosen, and players could discover it by exploration with a series of builds. You can’t by yourself invent a big island South of El Oleonda. Same for the general geographical information about Maldria
-some other big things are defined, but can be changed or “better defined” by sufficient effort: e.g. the natives of an island are defined as hostile, but you build enough diplomatic missions to befriend them. There are natives on Maldria, and by sufficient effort you discover their villages. If the effort is big enough, these things become “real” and binding (in the past we managed that with the Adventure MRCA system). You will have to ask inputs from the GMs to see if your efforts lead to the results you want, and other players might try to jump in and interfere (as we were fuelling rebellion on Terraversa, Corrington sent a diplomatic/intelligence expedition to “discover” that).

-most of the small things are story-driven. You show them, you incorporate them in your story, other players start to show them in that way too, and they become part of the lore: you start to show some natives of Maldria living in circular wooden huts, or worshipping the Gods of the Mountains, and with time this is how the natives of Maldria will likely be in our lore. These things never get completely binding, but the result can be the same. Naming small rivers, drawing more detailed maps etc. likely falls in this category