Bregir

Brethren of the Brick Seas (BoBS) Intro Thread, Era II

10 hours ago, Ayrlego said:

Some Mokolei troops - I seem to be into old world NPC building at the moment!

Nice array of soldiers! The janissary looks great and the pandour looks way better than the version I made some time ago. The red cap and cape or more recognizable than the black ones I used. I would've associated them with Mokolei immediately, but I really like the combinations you've made!

(not so) sunny London

Is it ever, though? :grin:

@Ayrlego Fantastic minifigs (as always) and I can attest from our vast array of history books pics that they are as close to the real thing as possible!!! :pir-laugh:

Enjoy old Albion and take care of the seas there if you go on board, for they are tricky and too crowded! 

Edited by blackdeathgr

1 hour ago, Khorne said:

(not so) sunny London

Is it ever, though? :grin:

1) Take a trip to Manchester.

2) Come back and show the proper appreciation. 

Well done. Must be nice. My job entails "rolling in the blood and muck with all the other pigs". I will post some Mokolie Abus gunners. Fun note, the Abus Gun is is actually a small black-powder howitzer. A light mortar with with direct-fire capabilities.

I woke up to 'more war for the wealthy' so i'm I'm a  little bit pissy.

Edited by Jeff of Clubs

14 hours ago, Ayrlego said:

I seem to be into old world NPC building at the moment!

And a big :thumbup: for these. Excellent troops! I particularly like your use of the old plastic cape and princess pointed hat. Great selection of torsos as well. Excellent!

14 hours ago, Ayrlego said:

I'm visiting the UK for work for the next few weeks ... hopefully Colonel Allcock will get out for some sight seeing pictures

Enjoy, and I hope he does! :pir-huzzah2:

22 hours ago, Ross Fisher said:

Don't build Varcoast and Pontillia without getting me involved. 

PM sent.

Currently I have two builds under way back home, one for the Middle Kingdoms and one for the Mokolei with a third planned for the Great Alliance States.

Hello, I have two questions that I can't seem to find answers for :

What do I license a ship designers office as ? (I was planning on having his office and residence being the same building)

My other question is whether or not there is a wood type that is canonically "better"/ stronger ? ( Purely for lore/story purposes, I realize the ship stats can't be affected by the materials used)

3 hours ago, Justsomebrix said:

What do I license a ship designers office as ? (I was planning on having his office and residence being the same building)

Ship designers is probably artisan.

3 hours ago, Justsomebrix said:

My other question is whether or not there is a wood type that is canonically "better"/ stronger ? ( Purely for lore/story purposes, I realize the ship stats can't be affected by the materials used)

Maybe one of our more frequent ship builders would have a more detailed answer but BoBS is pretty realistic in terms of material and such so probably whatever wood was better for real age of sail ships.

9 hours ago, Justsomebrix said:

Since somebody asked a little nerd question, I emerge from my shadowy nerd corner! :pir-grin:

During the age of sails there was almost an arms race about the best wood to use for a ship, with every nation experimenting and spying the others. With the discovery of the Americas and the exploration of East Asia, shipbuilders discovered a wide array of new woods (and of new barnacles and wood worms), and basically went by trial and error: some pines rotted super quickly in sea water, while other woods (cedar, other pines) were super resistant to decay… somebody even built ships completely made up of super expensive mahogany!

A “secret weapon” of the British Royal Navy was the North American oak: the tree is too short for long beams and has weird internal textures, but if correctly cut can make the structural elements of a ship basically cannonball-proof. Moreover, oak planks will shatter far less than the usual pine planks, avoiding a lot of horrible wounds caused by wooden shrapnels.

In game, the best trees for shipbuilding can be probably found Ile De Zeus (Oleander settlement of Astrapi has for this reason a small economic bonus for wood industry/shipbuilding), but there is no real lore about it.

It has been a while for me, the following might be covered somewhere. Anyway, some questions regarding mines and mining, where I'm sure @Ayrlego or @Bregir can help out easily. 

Does every mine - and by extension every seperate mining build - outside of the "rock" category need a seperate prospect build? Or is it possible to build as many mines in a certain location as I want for a certain mineral after it has been "found" by one prospect there?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Darnok

@Darnok

one prospect build -> one founded ore -> one mining build to activate.

one other propect build needed if you want another mining one . It's not sure you will get the same ore.

So every mining build needs a separate prospect one.

5 minutes ago, Professor Thaum said:

one prospect build -> one founded ore -> one mining build to activate.

one other propect build needed if you want another mining one . It's not sure you will get the same ore.

So every mining build needs a separate prospect one.

That's what I assumed, I was essentially looking for a confirmation. So excellent, thank you! :pir-thumb:

Haven’t seen very decent pictures, but the new CMF’s are looking fabolous for us BOBS-addicts 

The Nutcracker looks good, hopefully he has arm printing. The hat doesn't look that usable mind you.

A shame about the Captain, the arm prints are the same as the last Captain who came with a seagull.

2 hours ago, Maxim I said:

Haven’t seen very decent pictures, but the new CMF’s are looking fabolous for us BOBS-addicts 

Promobricks has a good picture of the whole set.What in particular do you find pirate-themed?

4 hours ago, Darnok said:

Promobricks has a good picture of the whole set.What in particular do you find pirate-themed?

Thx! This gives a better view :p

Nuttcracker seems nice, hoped for a more functional shako

little elf girl has a nice torso

On second thought: I think the nutcracker would make for a pretty pompous Corrington general, given another (less comical) head.

There are some really nice ones in this upcoming series, and I will get a few of them. Just not primarily for BotBS.

For property sizes, how are multiple floor buildings counted? I.e. ground floor has a 1,800 stud footprint, 1st floor has a 600 stud footprint - is that a medium or a large?

@The Sarge :

This is counted on the ground floor size... but it will depends on many specifics

The 1800 is just up the 32x32 needed for a medium property, so it will probably fit a medium sized property, but you just have to post the build and ask a member of the court just before licencing.

with the MOC pictures we will be able to get you an answer quickly.

As an example, this one is just over the 16x16 requirement for a small property and it is licenced as a small one !

@Professor Thaum Great, thanks. I'm still in the middle of construction so I'll just make the main section longer to get me above the large cutoff on footprint. It's a ropewalk that currently sits at 2,181 studs ground floor footprint (48x48 giving a requirement of 2,304 studs, the small second floor would have covered this) but I can add another section or two and exceed that handily.

Boring licensing question: if I was to build a small watchtower with a (sort of) military/protection purpose, but not want to license it as a fort, what would it count as? I assume @Bregir or @Ayrlego come to the rescue, as always - thanks in advance!

37 minutes ago, Darnok said:

Boring licensing question: if I was to build a small watchtower with a (sort of) military/protection purpose, but not want to license it as a fort, what would it count as? I assume @Bregir or @Ayrlego come to the rescue, as always - thanks in advance!

I've faced this question with my own builds several times. Usually I class them as a dual watchtower/customs post - then in my mind they are commerce (but could also count as Art and Culture).

Example: Palm Island Outpost

On 7/29/2022 at 11:52 PM, Darnok said:

Boring licensing question: if I was to build a small watchtower with a (sort of) military/protection purpose, but not want to license it as a fort, what would it count as?

Yeah, this is always a tough one. You say "sort of" a military/protection purpose. What would another purpose be? If they watch over a road or entrance to a city, then it's protecting trade and commerce is as good a fit as any. 

Apparently, I removed by mistake the picture of old King Friedrick of Varcoast… I’ll load a new one on Flickr as soon as possible, but then it should be re-inserted in the Varcoast page