Bregir

Brethren of the Brick Seas (BoBS) Intro Thread, Era II

@Bregir, @Mesabi these are the rules out of the EGS thread...

Trade Companies

Participate in monopolies, joint stock ventures… and shape the future of the world. In the beginning, there are only two major Trade Companies, both Eslandian. Both carry their own membership requirements and rewards.

Merchant companies will have greater income from some trade items - part of their monopoly. Unlike reality, a monopoly does not mean that other members of that faction cannot participate in that industry (unless your faction has more specific rules).

The base rule for establishing a Trade Company requires the following MOCs:

• A Warehouse
  • A Trade Headquarters
  • A Trade Ship

After these builds are complete, you can apply via your faction’s rules to your faction leaders.

Here is the only clarification to this that I can find...

Because I don't think it has ever been listed together in one place before, here are all the current Trade Company monopoly bonuses:

Monopoly Name

Trade Company

Bonus

Apple

MAESTRO

50%

Copper

ETWC

75%

Cotton or textile

MCTC

50%

Grape or wine

RNTC

25%

Iron

MCTC

75%

Oats or wheat

ETWC

50%

Silver

RNTC

25%

Opium

FTA

25%

Note.

• Going forward; to claim the bonus the property must be licensed in the name of the Trade Company (not individuals). If the TC wants to transfer funds via manual transactions to their individual members each month, they're free to do so.
  • When licensing the property via webform, the builder must must answer the  "Have you earned any other bonuses or modifiers for this property? Write the name of the bonus(es) and the amount / percentage here and why. " question. eg. "ETWC 75% bonus on copper "
  • Any charted trade company may apply for a monopoly. Consider the following before applying.
    • significant effort in both builds and back story is required to even be considered for a monopoly.
    • An application is not a guarantee of success. Monopolies are very rare and the court will only grant them sparingly.

So the first is the EGS rules the second is the rules updates thread. I am not sure what you are citing.

Edited by CapOnBOBS

I will look at making sure the primary rule overview is up to date, including the 3 TC limit per faction.

9 hours ago, Bodi said:

@Mesabi Where did you find all these rules? I want the links.:pir_laugh2:

2 hours ago, CapOnBOBS said:

So the first is the EGS rules the second is the rules updates thread. I am not sure what you are citing.

All of the quotations work as links to the old discussion. :pir-classic:

The difference between a Trade Company, and a Monopoly is listed here, in this post by Ayrlego, under the Notes section. 

Any charted trade company may apply for a monopoly. Consider the following before applying.

• significant effort in both builds and back story is required to even be considered for a monopoly.
  • An application is not a guarantee of success. Monopolies are very rare and the court will only grant them sparingly.

For example, what I was told with the WTC (circa 2017) was that the faction approves for a Trade Charter. This allows for you to have an entity that is an EGS entity. THEN, with a significant amount of builds related to one good, you can petition the court for a monopoly on a product. 

For instance, the WTC does NOT have a monopoly. OOC because @Darnok and I never concentrated on a singular product, IC because we're generalists. We are chartered though.

So, having a Trade Company is a prelude to having a monopoly, and you must apply for a monopoly on an in game product you do a series of builds around. 

Also, any Court members feel free to shut me up. :pir-grin:

@Bregir, @Mesabi, my point in continuing to talk at all (today we are only asking for 3 so whatever) about this here is that, "the rules" and "the updates to the rules" don't limit TCS. I did not bother to read the entirety of the COR faction page to see if there was a rule for how many TCS OL can have in there. I included the monopoly bit because it is the ONLY elaboration about TCs outside the EGS rules paragraph about TCs.

My interpretation of everything in print is that there is no limit to TCs currently in the game but a member of the COR leadership has capped COR at 3.

I think Ska's rules as intended were that each faction can have three and only three Chartered Trade companies. Under the COR page, it says:

Each faction of the Brick Seas can grant three charters for trade companies. 

But to be honest? I'm actually not sure on this one. I've always assumed other factions just didn't include that snippet of text, but I can't be sure. I also vaguely remember some discussion early game about ESL only having one slot open at the start of the game, but I couldn't find a specific reference to it. 

Unfortunately, I can't answer this one.  :pirate-sad

1 hour ago, CapOnBOBS said:

My interpretation of everything in print is that there is no limit to TCs currently in the game but a member of the COR leadership has capped COR at 3.

It is regrettable that we (the court) have not gotten the rules updated properly. We do our best to keep everything up to date and working as intended. In some cases, where there are inaccuracies, we try to correct and inform as best and quick as we can.

However, each faction can only charter three organisations (typically trade companies). The charter allows the organisation to own ships.

NB: It should be noted that nothing prevents any player from creating a non-chartered trade company. It just will not have the mechanical advantage of being chartered.

51694157969_2a3f8212b9_z.jpg

build by @evancelt

Spoiler

To the Garrison Commander of Seawatch ,

The Colonial contingent of the Nation of Corrington wishes to extend a hand of friendship in dealing with our common enemy, the Lotus Empire. 

As we have both experienced losses of shipping from their war junks, we suggest we can combine forces. Our Corrish infantry could quickly be landed as a strike force out of Seawatch, or Neuberg, to assist with the land war on El Oleondia. 

The Crown of Corrington has no plans or interests in settling on the island of El Oleondia. On a successful conclusion of hostilities against the Lotii, all Corlander military personnel will withdraw from the island, The Crown of Corrington would recognise the island of Neustadt as Canish Territory, in addition to recognizing the Carnish settlements on the island of El Oleondia. 

Together, Corrington and Carno could prove an effective force. In addition, our queen holds no grudges.  We wish only for a safe, and secure New Haven Sea. 

Best Regards, 

Captain Keats

Acting Commander of Brickford Landing

To NPC nation of Carno!

3 hours ago, Bregir said:

NB: It should be noted that nothing prevents any player from creating a non-chartered trade company. It just will not have the mechanical advantage of being chartered.

Sounds interesting, may I know what this mechanical advantage is?

8 hours ago, Bodi said:

Sounds interesting, may I know what this mechanical advantage is?

Only a charteret company can own ships. If your company is not chartered, you will have to own the ships yourself, meaning it counts against your shiplimits and your upkeep.

Further, I don't believe the court has ever granted a monopoly to anything but a hartered company.

Only a charteret company can own ships. If your company is not chartered, you will have to own the ships yourself, meaning it counts against your shiplimits and your upkeep.

Further, I don't believe the court has ever granted a monopoly to anything but a hartered company.

Meaning there isn't big difference between an individual player and a trade company, if the TC isn't chartered. Sounds less interesting now, thanks for the clarification.:pir-thumb:

2 hours ago, Bodi said:

Meaning there isn't big difference between an individual player and a trade company, if the TC isn't chartered. Sounds less interesting now, thanks for the clarification.:pir-thumb:

A non-chartered tc is "just" a story element.

On 11/20/2021 at 2:32 PM, Bregir said:

each faction can only charter three organisations

I think that is a perfectly reasonable rule, it just isn't currently the rule... (specified anywhere in the rules).

@Bregir, if the court has now decided that they want that to be a rule, can you please edit the rules to include that restriction.

2 hours ago, CapOnBOBS said:

edit the rules to include that restriction.

I noticed this has been done, see the link you provided earlier.

10 hours ago, CapOnBOBS said:

it just isn't currently the rule...

Let me correct you here. It is a rule, as set by the court a long time ago. It may not have been correctly reflected in the current edition of the written rules, but has been an active rule nonetheless.

As a collaborative game, for BoBS, Rules As Intended rank over Rules as Written, and the intend and working of the rules are handled exclusively by the Brethren Court. Any issues with this can be taken up with faction leadership, who can resolve it directly or take it to the Brethren Court.

Hi gang, probably a question for @Bregir, when do we snap the line resetting troop recruiting and fort building for the turn? Troop rules say it is by MRCA, but specifically, just before the KPA was published I raised troops in Fatu Hiva and yet, OL intended to raise troops in Fort Arltrees and I dont think we did before the KPA. So where do we mark the turn break to know if it is too late to build troops in Fort Arltrees "this" turn and when do we enter the "next" turn for more troops I. Fatu Hiva. Is it KPA to KPA or MRCA input cut off to MRCA input cutoff? Or something else?

Generally, I'd say the cut-off is the tMRCA deadline. So basically, you can still recruit troops until the deadline, if I understand you correctly. Doesn't seem like there is an issue for you?

cut-off is the tMRCA deadline

Awesome thanks, no issue just needed to know when we draw the line to know where we currently can and can't recruit and when that resets. THANKS

Thanks. Is there a reliable place we can look to see when the next tMRCA deadline is? Could that be posted at the top of one of the evergreen BoBS threads?

1 hour ago, evancelt said:

Thanks. Is there a reliable place we can look to see when the next tMRCA deadline is? Could that be posted at the top of one of the evergreen BoBS threads?

Typically the turn around from KPA release to the start of the tMRCA is pretty quick (great work on the GMs part! :thumbup:). In the past its been about 1-4 weeks give or take.

12 minutes ago, LM71Blackbird said:

Typically the turn around from KPA release to the start of the tMRCA is pretty quick (great work on the GMs part! :thumbup:). In the past its been about 1-4 weeks give or take.

Yes thank you GMs! My question is really just: is there a consistent place we can look for that deadline no matter what turn we are in (i.e., a place that lists the current next deadline for the current turn)?

Edited by evancelt

2 hours ago, evancelt said:

Yes thank you GMs! My question is really just: is there a consistent place we can look for that deadline no matter what turn we are in (i.e., a place that lists the current next deadline for the current turn)?

If a deadline has been set, @Capt Wolf usually creates and pins a thread that outlines the deadline, current trade values etc. Previous example (no longer pinned as deadline has expired):

6 hours ago, Ayrlego said:

If a deadline has been set, @Capt Wolf usually creates and pins a thread that outlines the deadline, current trade values etc.

Yep, this.

8 hours ago, LM71Blackbird said:

It will always be a minimum of 3 weeks to allow for MRCA result builds, sistershipping, etc. Generally 4-5 weeks is a good estimate.

A figbarf for Altonia (because why not?!):

51850458428_5eddff52cb.jpg

From Left to Right: Hussar (Light Cavalry), Linieninfanterie (Line Infantry), Alpiner Jäger, Frei Jägerkorps (Mercenary), Landswehr (militia).