Bregir

Brethren of the Brick Seas (BoBS) Intro Thread, Era II

3 minutes ago, Alix said:

What is the overall consensus on doing solely digital builds? I see that the rules allow them, but are they frowned upon or something?

This is just my personal take:

I think they are allowed and encouraged, though they do have a stigma. With real brick builds, you are limited by your collection and the pieces/figs available to you. I find that can help me find creative solutions out of necessity. With a digital build, you can build as big as you want with whatever pieces you want (or as big as your CPU/RAM will allow) and that can feel like an unfair advantage to real-brick builders. That said, (1) it isn't really a competition most of the time, so who cares about an advantage and (2) a lot of folks don't have access to a real brick collection because of cost or living arrangements, so it is way better to build with a digital program than not at all.

16 minutes ago, evancelt said:

This is just my personal take:

I think they are allowed and encouraged, though they do have a stigma. With real brick builds, you are limited by your collection and the pieces/figs available to you. I find that can help me find creative solutions out of necessity. With a digital build, you can build as big as you want with whatever pieces you want (or as big as your CPU/RAM will allow) and that can feel like an unfair advantage to real-brick builders. That said, (1) it isn't really a competition most of the time, so who cares about an advantage and (2) a lot of folks don't have access to a real brick collection because of cost or living arrangements, so it is way better to build with a digital program than not at all.

Yeah that is what i was in a way expecting. Even if it isn't a competition, having literally unlimited pieces feels... well unfair. Yet since i fall to the category of no access to a real collection due to living arrangements i have no other choice. So glad to see they are encouraged even if it comes with a stigma. Thanks for your take Evancelt.

1 hour ago, Alix said:

Yeah that is what i was in a way expecting. Even if it isn't a competition, having literally unlimited pieces feels... well unfair. Yet since i fall to the category of no access to a real collection due to living arrangements i have no other choice. So glad to see they are encouraged even if it comes with a stigma. Thanks for your take Evancelt.

As per the rules and official standing, digital builds are one to one with physical builds. You have advantages, but you also have disadvantages, and to be fair, anyone can pick up digital building.

We will step in, if quality suffers or we feel like someone is misusing the system, but that goes for digital and physical builds.

Those are the official and blunt words. Here comes the more encouraging ones:

Please join up if you feel intrigued - we are very happy to welcome new players, and the community here is very helpful. We will be looking forward to following your stories - those are really the important part of BoBs :pir-sweet:

3 minutes ago, Bregir said:

Please join up if you feel intrigued - we are very happy to welcome new players, and the community here is very helpful. We will be looking forward to following your stories - those are really the important part of BoBs :pir-sweet:

Based on your avatar @Alix, I hope you choose Corrington if you are interested :pir-grin:

3 hours ago, Alix said:

What is the overall consensus on doing solely digital builds? I see that the rules allow them, but are they frowned upon or something?

Hi Alix, welcome to BoBS. As Bregir stated, digital builds are perfectly acceptable and we have a few members who build solely digitally. 

As someone who pretty much only builds digital, I personally put a limit on myself to try to use 90%+ pieces that could actually be bought. Minifigures are a different case because of decals, but otherwise, that's my strategy.

4 hours ago, Bregir said:

As per the rules and official standing, digital builds are one to one with physical builds. You have advantages, but you also have disadvantages, and to be fair, anyone can pick up digital building.

We will step in, if quality suffers or we feel like someone is misusing the system, but that goes for digital and physical builds.

Those are the official and blunt words. Here comes the more encouraging ones:

3 hours ago, Ayrlego said:

Hi Alix, welcome to BoBS. As Bregir stated, digital builds are perfectly acceptable and we have a few members who build solely digitally. 

Alright, thanks to you both for the rule clarification as well as encouraging words. Stories indeed are what i am most interested in creating, rather than "spamming" low effort creations.

1 hour ago, KotZ said:

As someone who pretty much only builds digital, I personally put a limit on myself to try to use 90%+ pieces that could actually be bought. Minifigures are a different case because of decals, but otherwise, that's my strategy.

That sounds like a reasonable challenge. Maybe i'll try something similar, thanks for the tip!

3 hours ago, evancelt said:

Based on your avatar @Alix, I hope you choose Corrington if you are interested :pir-grin:

I may have already checked out the factions and done my decision on that front. Corrington does indeed interest me a great deal. :pir_laugh2:

Edited by Alix

Hey guys! Quick question, I've seen characters using this uniform on ceveral occasions, including on a Governor (can't remember his name sorry) I was wondering what their role is? When they're to be used?

2021-08-26_01-54-20

(A little teaser for my first moc as well)

Well, I'd say that one is sufficiently generic to be used in a wide selection of roles. (where a "true" blue- or redcoat torso may seem strange outside its faction).

I use it as a blue working uniform for my sea officers in Corrington, for instance, but I am sure it has been used for sea Rats and others too. :pir-classic:

On the subject of digital builds: the rotation tool should be the one you use most often. I spend hours just working out dynamic fig posing. Sometimes that work can give me story ideas that add to character development. Just a 22 degree turn of the head can set an eye line for the fig which creates a side tangent about where they are looking.

On 8/26/2021 at 5:28 PM, gedren_y said:

On the subject of digital builds: the rotation tool should be the one you use most often. I spend hours just working out dynamic fig posing. Sometimes that work can give me story ideas that add to character development. Just a 22 degree turn of the head can set an eye line for the fig which creates a side tangent about where they are looking.

Can't agree more! Same applies to all roots/ plants/ rocks etc. Little turn does the magic! 

The July-August Summary has also been published.

There are a number of accounts that have been in the negative now for a little while. I suggest the relevant governors address this before the end of October... because even if Uncle ( @Kai NRG ) doesn't get you, there may be other consequences as well.....

Amara @Gulagurag wants to return to Brethren of the Brick Seas from retirement. I hope it is possible.

Edited by NOD

Just a reminder that there's only a week left to enter the Oktoberfest mini-challenge.

I know I ought to know this, but... :grin:

Can sistership builds be licenced (as, well whatever they are besides a build that has to do with sistershipping)?  Especially if it's a larger build it seems to make sense for it to be - I think the answer is yes (it's probably been done before too if it is?), but just looked over the sistershipping rules and it didn't specify so thought it'd be good to ask :pir-wink:  And no hurry, of course :innocent: - it's not like I would wait until the day the MRCA is due to ask or anything... :pir-grin: :laugh:

(And yes, I'm asking both about my recent mill build and future sistershipping builds in the plans that I'd like to go a little bigger on and licence if I can :pir-sweet:  Thanks in advance!)

16 minutes ago, Garmadon said:

I know I ought to know this, but... :grin:

Can sistership builds be licenced (as, well whatever they are besides a build that has to do with sistershipping)?  Especially if it's a larger build it seems to make sense for it to be - I think the answer is yes (it's probably been done before too if it is?), but just looked over the sistershipping rules and it didn't specify so thought it'd be good to ask :pir-wink:  And no hurry, of course :innocent: - it's not like I would wait until the day the MRCA is due to ask or anything... :pir-grin: :laugh:

(And yes, I'm asking both about my recent mill build and future sistershipping builds in the plans that I'd like to go a little bigger on and licence if I can :pir-sweet:  Thanks in advance!)

Yes, if you build something that alone could be licensed as a property, you can use it as the means of sistershipping a ship and still license it as a property.

5 minutes ago, Capt Wolf said:

Yes, if you build something that alone could be licensed as a property, you can use it as the means of sistershipping a ship and still license it as a property.

Woot, that's good news for Captain Whiffo - thankee! :pir-wink: :pir-sweet:

With the blessings of the King of Oleon, Admiral Beauchamp has set off to establish a private trading company to manage his growing mercantile empire. "Le Bellan Shipping and Freight" or "LBSF" 

he base rule for establishing a Trade Company requires the following MOCs:

• A Warehouse
  • A Trade Headquarters
  • A Trade Ship

@AyrlegoCan I get LBSF established as an Oleon faction Trading Company entity? I would like to have the two properties above transferred to its control and then I'll license my new ship there and transfer in some of them DBs. 

@CapOnBOBS Congratz, wishing a properous future to the LBSF.

Also,

To whom it may be concerned in the court:

I'd like to take this opportunity to ask if it's possible for Oleon to have more than one trade companies, since I'm planning to create my own too, I have a large commercial build ready, which comprises a headquarter and a warehouse, I own some ships too, if there's other things I need to do, please let me know.

5 hours ago, CapOnBOBS said:

With the blessings of the King of Oleon, Admiral Beauchamp has set off to establish a private trading company to manage his growing mercantile empire. "Le Bellan Shipping and Freight" or "LBSF" 

@AyrlegoCan I get LBSF established as an Oleon faction Trading Company entity? I would like to have the two properties above transferred to its control and then I'll license my new ship there and transfer in some of them DBs. 

Congrats on getting together the resources to start a trade company! I really have enjoyed running mine, and I think that the mercantilistic nature of the age of sail is a bit under examined in BoBS, so I always like seeing the slots being used. 

I look forwards to seeing what you do going forwards. Let me know if you're ever interested in collaborating, the WTC loves a good trade war. :pir-classic:

Oh, and Ayrlego is unfortunately away from the game for a month or two, just fyi. 

5 hours ago, Bodi said:

To whom it may be concerned in the court:

I'd like to take this opportunity to ask if it's possible for Oleon to have more than one trade companies, since I'm planning to create my own too, I have a large commercial build ready, which comprises a headquarter and a warehouse, I own some ships too, if there's other things I need to do, please let me know.

Since I'm our resident part time non-court forum archivist/rules lawyer....

On 7/6/2017 at 4:13 PM, Bregir said:

[From the default faction page]

• Chartered Trade Companies
    Each faction of the Brick Seas can grant three charters for trade companies. Chartered TC's gain specific right, including the right to own ships. To be considered for a charter, a TC needs a ship, a headquarter, and a warehouse. Corrington only charters trade companies with a significant amount of members.
    • East Terran Trading Company (ETTC)
      Chairman: Ibn al'Sayeed ( @Bregir)
    • Wayfarer Trade Company (WTC)
      Chairman: Captain Mesabi ( @Mesabi)
  • Non-chartered Trade Companies
    • etc.

So, y'all should be able to have 2 more trade companies, since the RNTC is the only one you have currently. (as far as I can tell)

The chartering is up to the faction leaders, per Ska's set up here.

On 2/16/2016 at 10:01 AM, Phred said:

The purpose of this topic is to share who the leaders are from each faction. We will be sharing when new leaders are promoted and when existing leaders resign.

Leaders for each faction are designated by a corresponding faction tag. There are also those who support the faction leaders.

brethren-3.png or brethren-4.png - Oleon - Kotz & Bodi

• Support - Phred

So you should be able to set one up just fine. :wink:

Edited by Mesabi
Found more old forum posts to look at!

Mesabi is exactly right. I would probably suggest Oleon considers whether one person TCs is how you want to use your three charters, but it is entirely up to you.

@Mesabi Where did you find all these rules? I want the links.:pir_laugh2:

Btw, I'm not the leader of Oleon anymore, I asked in the faction pm a couple of months ago to find someone to replace me, unfortunately it took more time than I expected but now we have a new co-leader: @CapOnBOBS

1 hour ago, Bregir said:

Mesabi is exactly right. I would probably suggest Oleon considers whether one person TCs is how you want to use your three charters, but it is entirely up to you.

One person for now, other players are welcome to join in. If Cap wants to have his own TC, I'm perfectly fine with that.