Bregir

Brethren of the Brick Seas (BoBS) Intro Thread, Era II

@Bregir That's really frustrating. If you'd managed to post this deliberation two days earlier I could've gotten my fort built 18 days before the TRMCA deadline. 

1 minute ago, Ross Fisher said:

@Bregir That's really frustrating. If you'd managed to post this deliberation two days earlier I could've gotten my fort built 18 days before the TRMCA deadline. 

I can't see where you can't build it - unless it was planned for Aurelia? (or did I miss an attack build elsewhere) In any case, I'd say you could get an exception, as you have been planning that fort publicly for a while.

Just now, Ross Fisher said:

@Bregir Kingsport is an occupied settlement, right? So it would fall under those rules. 

It is occupied, but not under attack. It falls under the rules of the limits for raising forts. I will rule that you can raise a fort now on top of the large fort already raised, but that the new fort will have to follow the new rules. Hence, it can only add a small fort's stats turn one, medium turn two, etc. and that forces will need to be deducted from the occupying force. Note that it is still a force multiplier, as it will add its firepower rating to the defense.

1 minute ago, Bregir said:

the new fort will have to follow the new rules. Hence, it can only add a small fort's stats turn one

That's fine, I can only afford the upkeep on a small fortification. Although a lot of my expenses are being taken up by troop costs, so maybe they can offset one another...

Was looking at the trade value thing etc and was just wondering, does anyone have the most recent / up to date maps from all the regions with their settlements?
I'm looking around but the total overview map is simply too small to be able to read anything and I can't find any other maps elsewhere

There's so many islands and settlements, and half of them are still just numbers on the few maps I found, makes it difficult to properly "see" anything as someone who hasn't been keeping up with the towns
and their placements

Thanks! 

Oh, wow @Ayrlego, I think we are going to see a sudden diversification of the productions! We have had several spice or sugar plantations, but very few pearl gatherers or crocodile hunters! Good to know, the trial and error system was nice, but almost impossible to decode (at least at my building rate)!

Just a quick question: are large islands (Terraversa, El Oleonda ecc) included in the bonus system too (apart for the secret mining probability)?

Would anyone be interested in making a moc of the delegations on Terraversa signing the peace treaty? We feel like the situation deserves a build :pir-blush:

On 4/2/2021 at 11:23 AM, Thomas Waagenaar said:

Was looking at the trade value thing etc and was just wondering, does anyone have the most recent / up to date maps from all the regions with their settlements?
I'm looking around but the total overview map is simply too small to be able to read anything and I can't find any other maps elsewhere

There's so many islands and settlements, and half of them are still just numbers on the few maps I found, makes it difficult to properly "see" anything as someone who hasn't been keeping up with the towns
and their placements

Thanks! 

I think the mrca maps may be the most up to date? @Ayrlego may be able to confirm.

On 4/2/2021 at 8:23 PM, Thomas Waagenaar said:

The New world is (currently) divided into three regions and the most up-to-date maps for each of those regions can be found in the post here:

3 hours ago, Ayrlego said:

The New world is (currently) divided into three regions and the most up-to-date maps for each of those regions can be found in the post here:

Thanks!! :D

And for the versions with the zones, I'm assuming the versions with them get posted in the MRCA topic?

And I don't suppose there is an overview of what island is what biome either? I want to stay true to the in-universe terrain features 

Edited by Thomas Waagenaar

Once a sea region has been discovered, a post like this is published:

You should be able to find them all in the master index. In the introduction thread of the Nation you can also find a description of the colonised islands. For some of them there is also additional lore, for others not, it depends on how many people built on the island and how much they followed previous examples!

7 hours ago, Thomas Waagenaar said:

And for the versions with the zones, I'm assuming the versions with them get posted in the MRCA topic?

That is correct yes. When I get a chance I'll add the latest ones to the map index - thanks for the idea!

7 hours ago, Thomas Waagenaar said:

And I don't suppose there is an overview of what island is what biome either?

@Keymonus is correct, the island rumours are the best place to start, then maybe check out the settlement thread for the settlement in which you want to build and see what other players have done in the past... or go your own way - it's up to you!

@Keymonus @Ayrlego 

Thanks!!

Looks like there's plenty of diversity to go for. If a specific part of an Island isn't mentioned. For example if a rumour on talks about the south side of an Island rather than the north, I'm assuming I can just do the good ol' "I'll be first so I get to set the specifics" for this part?

And another question that's seperate from this, I don't have to be part of the EGS before I can join an Adventure MRCA, right? Or did I read it wrong?

Do I still need to register/license my ship or will a free build suffice in that regard?

And how does that work for wars. Can I for example still join a teams war-effort without being in the EGS? For example if I want to join the battle with my ship despite it not being officially in the EGS?

Especially since I want to join those things in eventually but I don't really feel like joining in on the economic side to be honest... I just like building ships and roleplaying adventures and such with them, the economic side is too much of a hassle for me 😅 (Plus I'd literally never be able to pay the upkeep for my ships with the few I've been working on)

Thank for answering in advance!

P.s. I'm sorry for asking so many questions, I might be reading over things or understanding some things incorrectly

33 minutes ago, Thomas Waagenaar said:

P.s. I'm sorry for asking so many questions, I might be reading over things or understanding some things incorrectly

Never worry - we'll do our best to help!

34 minutes ago, Thomas Waagenaar said:

"I'll be first so I get to set the specifics" for this part?

As long as you stay within the spirit of the game, first come first serve in terms of rights of definition, yes.

34 minutes ago, Thomas Waagenaar said:

And another question that's seperate from this, I don't have to be part of the EGS before I can join an Adventure MRCA, right? Or did I read it wrong?

Do I still need to register/license my ship or will a free build suffice in that regard?

For the AMRCA, you don't necessarily need EGS resources. However, if you want to travel somewhere within the trade map, you would generally travel by an EGS ship. We can find a way around this, but that would be the general way to do it.

35 minutes ago, Thomas Waagenaar said:

And how does that work for wars. Can I for example still join a teams war-effort without being in the EGS? For example if I want to join the battle with my ship despite it not being officially in the EGS?

In general warfare in BOBS, it requires EGS elements. Troops need to be paid for, ships need to be licensed. Otherwise, they cannot fairly fight ships/troops that someone has paid for.

That said, there will often be challenges where non-EGS elements (ships/troops) can be used.

37 minutes ago, Thomas Waagenaar said:

Especially since I want to join those things in eventually but I don't really feel like joining in on the economic side to be honest... I just like building ships and roleplaying adventures and such with them, the economic side is too much of a hassle for me 😅 (Plus I'd literally never be able to pay the upkeep for my ships with the few I've been working on)

Three things here:

1) You have a free class 2 vessel that you can license at no cost.

2) The first 100 dbs in base upkeep are free, which means you can have a class 5 almost free (5 dbs upkeep per turn you use it) As you gain dbs by registering freebuilds, it wouldn't take much to cover the upkeep of a single midsized ship.

3) Your faction may be willing to help you license your vessel(s). Either as a national navy vessel, or in some other form (trade company, for instance).

So typically, you can get into the frey without a huge involvement in the EGS. Of course, if you are planning on building a lot of very big ships, the costs scale, but for most people, those ships are licensed by the factions anyway.

I have probably missed this, but have you already joined a faction? All further advice may depend on your faction. (Trade companies in ESL, no national fleet as such in the Sea Rats, etc.)

Let us know if this leads to further questions.

27 minutes ago, Bregir said:

Never worry - we'll do our best to help!

As long as you stay within the spirit of the game, first come first serve in terms of rights of definition, yes.

For the AMRCA, you don't necessarily need EGS resources. However, if you want to travel somewhere within the trade map, you would generally travel by an EGS ship. We can find a way around this, but that would be the general way to do it.

In general warfare in BOBS, it requires EGS elements. Troops need to be paid for, ships need to be licensed. Otherwise, they cannot fairly fight ships/troops that someone has paid for.

That said, there will often be challenges where non-EGS elements (ships/troops) can be used.

Three things here:

1) You have a free class 2 vessel that you can license at no cost.

2) The first 100 dbs in base upkeep are free, which means you can have a class 5 almost free (5 dbs upkeep per turn you use it) As you gain dbs by registering freebuilds, it wouldn't take much to cover the upkeep of a single midsized ship.

3) Your faction may be willing to help you license your vessel(s). Either as a national navy vessel, or in some other form (trade company, for instance).

So typically, you can get into the frey without a huge involvement in the EGS. Of course, if you are planning on building a lot of very big ships, the costs scale, but for most people, those ships are licensed by the factions anyway.

I have probably missed this, but have you already joined a faction? All further advice may depend on your faction. (Trade companies in ESL, no national fleet as such in the Sea Rats, etc.)

Let us know if this leads to further questions.

Yeah, I've joined Oleon about a year ago already (Damn, time goes fast. But hey, ship is currently finally being put into real bricks. Ready to start my story soon!). 

And of course, I'll stay within the boundaries of the game. Although the reason I went for Oleon was because of the arts/culture thing. I am wanting to go artifact hunting and exploration style for my story! :D

And yeah, I understand the maintenance part etc. But for example, I could help with troop raising builds / ship construction builds and then just sell them to Oleon. So for example my characters men would be named as if they are my characters, but just be Oleonic on paper (and do whatever Oleon needs them to do as they'd own them in anything but name)

For ships, the first 100Db for free will help quite a bit! But the free class 2 vessel, weeeeelll.... I am fairly certain my ship will be a good amount of levels above that already. Sounds like I'll just have to build lots of plantations to pay for the upkeep ^^.

48 minutes ago, Thomas Waagenaar said:

the reason I went for Oleon was because of the arts/culture thing. I am wanting to go artifact hunting

I reckon we need to get you signed up as a member of the Knights Treasurer. 

2 hours ago, Ross Fisher said:

I reckon we need to get you signed up as a member of the Knights Treasurer. 

Eventually, probably yeah! But first my character needs a reason and story to do so. But we'll arrive there eventually ;)

Hi, I'm Cap, I'm a huge fan of the show! My question is, "Do trade companies get a trade bonuses in the MRCA? I mean if a TC ship does a trade route, does it get more than a privately owned ship? Not for or against, just wondering if there is benefit to licensing a trade ship one way or another."

Edit: Thanks @Capt Wolf! You guys rock Can! Can you play Freebird?!

Edited by CapOnBOBS

24 minutes ago, CapOnBOBS said:

Hi, I'm Cap, I'm a huge fan of the show! My question is, "Do trade companies get a trade bonuses in the MRCA? I mean if a TC ship does a trade route, does it get more than a privately owned ship? Not for or against, just wondering if there is benefit to licensing a trade ship one way or another."

HI Cap. Thanks for calling the show. :pir-grin:

Trade companies do not get any advantage in the MRCA. Their benefits are limited to property yields.

MAESTRO Message towards other nations:

Trador, Prio Seas

Wednesday April 7th - 621 A.E.

On this gloryfull day, the warship Beluga arrived at the inner bay of the group of islands, known as 'The Lowers'. Led by Michiel Van Bardo, head officer for this mission and renowned explorer of the Trador Agency of Exploring and Culture. Accompanied by a company of Royal Engineers. Their mission is to set camp and explore and map the archipelago, this with the idea to establish a permanent settlement under the banner of MAESTRO.

To avoid incidents, accidents and frustration, we ask politely to not interfere with our presence on this island and stay away.

However those who wish to take part in the discovery of this island, its flora and fauna, feel free to contact me or your local MAESTRO officer.

Lord Maximilian Damaximus,
Head of MAESTRO, Prince of Garvey, Duke of Stedor, Governor of La Sombra

51101385783_1ff1963070_c.jpg

read more about it here:

1 minute ago, Mesabi said:

I have updated some world maps for the game. These were made by stitching together existing maps.  

Thanks!